Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Super Conferences?

B_Amazing

Fanatics Cash
With the news of Texas and Oklahoma possibly joining the SEC it leads me back to the question of are we about to see Super Conferences?

The idea has been floated for years and usually gains steam when the BCS upsets one of the higher profile schools.  The BCS system was a means to an end when it originally started.  Over the past 10 years or so it has been a dying system only held up by the conferences allowing it to stand.  

Before the playoffs started their was talk that the schools may align into 4 super conferences and working together to remove the BCS.  With the new possibility of Texas and Oklahoma joining the SEC it seems this may be a possibility coming to fruition sooner than later.  What conferences will ultimately die? Could we see another conference try to follow the path of the SEC and load up on big time schools?  I don’t have the answers but with NIL now a thing and this possibility it could be a new day for college football and in all honesty may make more sense when it comes to expanding playoffs.

I am not opposed to this although I think that we need to add a couple from the east as well. Another Florida school like UCF, USF, or Miami?  We could poach a couple of schools from NC, VA, WVA, or even go as far as ND.  Anything that weakens the acc is fine in my book.   

I am not opposed to this although I think that we need to add a couple from the east as well. Another Florida school like UCF, USF, or Miami?  We could poach a couple of schools from NC, VA, WVA, or even go as far as ND.  Anything that weakens the acc is fine in my book.   
I would hope they would either have a plan of 2 additional teams or a better way of conference realignment than what I have seen so far.  Even though it would be appealing to have FL, Bama, GA, and auburn in the same conference I don’t think it makes sense for the SEC to have 4 potential powerhouses in the same devision.  

Doesn't ACC have some crazy exit clause, making it virtually impossible for schools to leave?

Heard today that Notre Dame may be looking at Big 10.  What a kick in the jewels to the ACC after letting them use their conference last year in football lol.  

Heard today that Notre Dame may be looking at Big 10.  What a kick in the jewels to the ACC after letting them use their conference last year in football lol.  
ND in the Big Ten makes way more sense for everyone involved.

If we're going to go straight 'Super Conference' I say add both OU and Texas from that side of the country and then N.C. State and Virginia Tech out of the ACC and your footprint grows more than seems possible in most other endeavors. You add four big schools who get their football and athletics in general. In growing cities/areas/populations that are diverse and growing and fanbases that both have money and love the shit out of their school and its teams. TV Market would be massive!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems hard to believe that A&M would ever agree to Texas joining the SEC.  I am no fan of the NCAA but I can't see how adding so much power to the SEC helps us.  Seems that a super strong conference would actually eat its own and make it easier for teams less deserving to make it into the playoffs.

I think you could apply some of the same arguments to league expansion that you could to CFP expansion.

Hate to do this, but listen to the Supreme Tater's comments on increasing the number of CFP games.

https://youtu.be/UG8BRwPNF4M

Up to now it's just been the SEC conference champ plus one other going to the CFPs?

By joining the SEC or another comparable league, would they be taking the risk of not making the CFPs.

I think Dabo makes some good comments on a couple of things:

• Saving the lesser bowl games.  Would CFP/league expansion kill the lesser bowl games and the local revenue to the cities who have historically hosted them?
  • Would extra conference/CFP games not allow players enough time to prepare for the NFL combines?
  • Would the extra games increase the risk of injury to players due to fatigue?

The arguments for or against league/CFP expansion kinda seem the same to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
None of it makes sense, since you could have teams finish undefeated/same records in conference play and not get into the championship game. 

You have to limit the amount of teams so they all play each other in the regular season. 

This could create more problems than it solves. 

If Kansas is looking how many other teams will look.  This could be the death of that conference and looks like it could breathe life into a real conversation among the remaining leagues about expanding.

Texas and Oklahoma could make their move to the SEC official in a matter of weeks, ESPN has confirmed.

The Austin American-Statesman reported Friday that a Big 12 source believed talks between the SEC and the two schools had been ongoing for more than six months, though SEC member Texas A&M had been left out of the discussions. An SEC source told ESPN's Heather Dinich that it's inaccurate that A&M was left out of the conversation.

The report also said the move could become official in a matter of weeks. A high-level administrator said his understanding of the situation mirrors that timeline.

A Big 12 source told Dinich that neither Texas nor Oklahoma has officially expressed its desire to leave to the rest of the conference membership.

ESPN reported Thursday that both Texas and Oklahoma would likely owe the Big 12 upward of $76 million apiece to buy out the remainder of their grant of media rights agreement, which runs until 2025. A new agreement with the SEC, however, would likely make that price tag easily affordable for the two powerhouse programs.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/31868545/source-oklahoma-sooners-texas-longhorns-verge-making-sec-move

So, would that mean we would no longer schedule the in-state games like the Citadel and Wofford to cover the extra games?  Those games where we pay other lesser programs to play are good sources of revenue that they would not ordinarily.  Those cupcake games give us and other programs the chance to rest banged up players, too.

Do you think the SEC is thinking about kicking TAMU and another school out of the conference to make room for the Sooners and the Longhorns?

I've seen various chatter between Reddit and Twitter. According to those folks this is all but a Done Deal™. And allegedly a preliminary vote among the SEC members is 13-1 in favor of adding them.

I don't know how true any of that is, so grain of slat and all that.

Do you think the SEC is thinking about kicking TAMU and another school out of the conference to make room for the Sooners and the Longhorns?
I don't think they can just do that without massive financial ramifications? And it wouldn't make sense either, IMO.