Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's the deal with Shane Beamer?

Spoke to the Gray Collegiate coach last night, who played at USC under Scott and Holtz. He's all about Beamer. 

Melvin Ingram tweeted out his support of Beamer as well. 

Not that these guys have anything to do with the hiring of coaches, but Beamer sounds like it might happen.
I get what you are saying, but former players do not make the coaching decisions. 

Beamer, to me, sounds like another Muschamp.  Good recruiter but doesn't know X's and O's.  If he's so great of a coach why hasn't he been offered at least a OC or DC position somewhere?

Beamer, to me, sounds like another Muschamp.  Good recruiter but doesn't know X's and O's.  If he's so great of a coach why hasn't he been offered at least a OC or DC position somewhere?
IIRC he was offered the HC job at East Carolina.  ( I think that happened???)

IIRC he was offered the HC job at East Carolina.  ( I think that happened???)
I don't know.  But he's also the "Assistant HC" for OU, but not a OC or DC.  Again, I think the only thing he has going for him is being a good recruiter, like he was for us with Spurrier.

I don't know.  But he's also the "Assistant HC" for OU, but not a OC or DC.  Again, I think the only thing he has going for him is being a good recruiter, like he was for us with Spurrier.
That could just be a title just to garner more money. Didn't we do that with one of our assistants a few years back?

In any event, I'm a lot more curious now that Kimrey, Faison, and Brewer have thrown their support behind Beamer. None of them played for him.

That could just be a title just to garner more money. Didn't we do that with one of our assistants a few years back?

In any event, I'm a lot more curious now that Kimrey, Faison, and Brewer have thrown their support behind Beamer. None of them played for him.
Yes, it is a way to get more money for a coach.  Apparently, he's that good of a recruiter.  He helped Spurrier out a lot and he was missed when he left.

Not surprising that some of our former players are lobbying for a "likeable guy".  It's what makes a recruiter good, just like Muschamp, Ron Zook, Holly Warlick.....etc. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it is a way to get more money for a coach.  Apparently, he's that good of a recruiter.  He helped Spurrier out a lot and he was missed when he left.

Not surprising that some of our former players are lobbying for a "likeable guy".  It's what makes a recruiter good, just like Muschamp, Ron Zook, Holly Warlick.....etc. 
Dawn Staley supposedly is very close with her team.  She seems to be doing OK with recruiting and winning.

Beamer, to me, sounds like another Muschamp.  Good recruiter but doesn't know X's and O's. 
I wouldn't equate Muschamp with those attributes. It is clear by what's happened this past week that Xs & Ox on defense are lacking and lack of decent WRs ties directly into recruiting. 

It should also be clear that there is a different attitude among Muschamp's players than our previous staff...of which Shane was a part of. 

I still contend that Shane is a fall back option....one that can be structured so we don't repeat our current fiasco. 

I also contend that Caslen is aware of all of this and is not going to let Ray do stupid. 

I wouldn't equate Muschamp with those attributes. It is clear by what's happened this past week that Xs & Ox on defense are lacking and lack of decent WRs ties directly into recruiting. 

It should also be clear that there is a different attitude among Muschamp's players than our previous staff...of which Shane was a part of. 

I still contend that Shane is a fall back option....one that can be structured so we don't repeat our current fiasco. 

I also contend that Caslen is aware of all of this and is not going to let Ray do stupid. 
Beamer could be the next Saban for all I know.  But his only experience calling plays are with special teams for the most part.  

I'm hoping that the search committee they hired will talk them into hiring the best coach available, for Carolina, without prejudice.

Dawn Staley supposedly is very close with her team.  She seems to be doing OK with recruiting and winning.
She's doing more than ok.  So yes she is a proven coach and recruiter.  And I didn't say there was anything wrong with being close with your team.

Beamer could be the next Saban for all I know.  But his only experience calling plays are with special teams for the most part.  

I'm hoping that the search committee they hired will talk them into hiring the best coach available, for Carolina, without prejudice.
I’m really hoping we get Napier, but I am warming a little to the idea of Beamer. He has been good at the positions he’s held at different schools. He hasn’t been a coordinator, other than Special Teams coordinator, at any school, but I don’t believe Dabo had either. Clemson took a chance on him because of his recruiting, and he has been a good head coach for them. IF Beamer could come in and parlay his connections into hiring a fantastic OC and DC, and he focused on managing and recruiting, I could deal with that, as long as it translated to wins. 

I’m really hoping we get Napier, but I am warming a little to the idea of Beamer. He has been good at the positions he’s held at different schools. He hasn’t been a coordinator, other than Special Teams coordinator, at any school, but I don’t believe Dabo had either. Clemson took a chance on him because of his recruiting, and he has been a good head coach for them. IF Beamer could come in and parlay his connections into hiring a fantastic OC and DC, and he focused on managing and recruiting, I could deal with that, as long as it translated to wins. 
What is our buyout of Bobo?  

The more I think about it, the more I don't mind the idea of having a CEO type head coach who doesn't call plays.  If the O and D are bad, coordinators are a lot cheaper to fire. Of course when you get a good one (like Spurrier) it makes all the difference, but what are the odds of us landing another Spurrier?  We tried it with Muschamp on D and we all saw how that worked out.  What kind of coach would Napier be?

I just hope Beamer doesn't have a kid in the coaching profession that will be brought on staff....we saw how that worked out with Spurrier and Holtz, lol.

The more I think about it, the more I don't mind the idea of having a CEO type head coach who doesn't call plays.  If the O and D are bad, coordinators are a lot cheaper to fire. Of course when you get a good one (like Spurrier) it makes all the difference, but what are the odds of us landing another Spurrier?  We tried it with Muschamp on D and we all saw how that worked out.  What kind of coach would Napier be?

I just hope Beamer doesn't have a kid in the coaching profession that will be brought on staff....we saw how that worked out with Spurrier and Holtz, lol.
I have heard it rumored that if Beamer got it, he would bring in Barry Odom as DC, and Bill Bedenbaugh as OC.  None of that is necessarily reliable, just crap I’ve heard from someone who has been correct about some things a few times.

I have heard it rumored that if Beamer got it, he would bring in Barry Odom as DC, and Bill Bedenbaugh as OC.  None of that is necessarily reliable, just crap I’ve heard from someone who has been correct about some things a few times.
Why would Odom leave Arky for the same gig at Carolina?  He's having success there as their DC and I'm sure they'll compensate him for it.  He'll be coming into an unknown situation with Beamer as HC on top of that.