Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's the deal with Shane Beamer?

Why would Odom leave Arky for the same gig at Carolina?  He's having success there as their DC and I'm sure they'll compensate him for it.  He'll be coming into an unknown situation with Beamer as HC on top of that.
I agree. I don’t see the point of it. However, the big plus of Beamer is he is supposed to pull in a great OC and DC. I’m not hanging my hat in any of this, just passing on stuff I heard. It could be utter nonsense. 

I agree. I don’t see the point of it. However, the big plus of Beamer is he is supposed to pull in a great OC and DC. I’m not hanging my hat in any of this, just passing on stuff I heard. It could be utter nonsense. 
If Beamer can bring two highly rated coordinators for O and D then I'll jump on board with him in a heartbeat.

I saw this on Twitter last night driving home from my daughter's lacrosse tournament...I haven't checked to see if its 100% true but:

"After some digging. the SEC has hired 17 first-time head coaches since 2000 - 10 of those have been fired, 2 left for a better job and 2 are on current hot seat...Pruitt at UT and Mason at Vandy.

Those coaches are a combined 371-399 overall.

Hiring a candidate with no HC experience is a bad idea."

Not sure if ANY had never even been a Coordinator...like Beamer

Yes Dabo is an exception to that rule...however...Dabo had been on staff at Clemson for over 5 years when he got promoted to interim HC after Tommy Bowden resigned...he also took over a really good Clemson team. The only reason Bowden got canned was because they were ranked 9th in the pre-season polls and were failing to live up to their potential. That being said...no one could have predicted Dabo would turn out to be one of the winningest coaches ever and end up with two national championships...he got that first one 8 years into his run...or 12 years after he started at Clemson...again...he is really the almost singular exception to the rule here. 

Can it happen? Sure...but its hard to run the numbers on trying to catch lightning in a bottle like that...from interim to highest paid coach in the history of college athletics.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw this on Twitter last night driving home from my daughter's lacrosse tournament...I haven't checked to see if its 100% true but:

"After some digging. the SEC has hired 17 first-time head coaches since 2000 - 10 of those have been fired, 2 left for a better job and 2 are on current hot seat...Pruitt at UT and Mason at Vandy.

Yes Dabo is an exception to that rule...however...Dabo had been on staff at Clemson for over 5 years when he got promoted to interim HC after Tommy Bowden resigned...he also took over a really good Clemson team. The only reason Bowden got canned was because they were ranked 9th in the pre-season polls and were failing to live up to their potential. That being said...no one could have predicted Dabo would turn out to be one of the winningest coaches ever and end up with two national championships...he got that first one 8 years into his run...or 12 years after he started at Clemson...again...he is really the almost singular exception to the rule here. 

Can it happen? Sure...but its hard to run the numbers on trying to catch lightning in a bottle like that...from interim to highest paid coach in the history of college athletics.
great post...I want someone who has run the whole show themselves and it seems that the stats bear that out

So 5 of 17 have been considered competent/successful (29.4%), how does that compare to new hire of head coach's with experience?

I don't know.  But he's also the "Assistant HC" for OU, but not a OC or DC.  Again, I think the only thing he has going for him is being a good recruiter, like he was for us with Spurrier.
Everyone's trying to find the next 'dabo' with going after assistants not experienced HCs.  I haven't read enough on Beamer yet to give me optimism and more importantly the program a shot in the arm so to speak. 

Everyone's trying to find the next 'dabo' with going after assistants not experienced HCs.  I haven't read enough on Beamer yet to give me optimism and more importantly the program a shot in the arm so to speak. 
Heard to talk the other day that VT may also be in the market for a head coach.  Would Beamer be more attracted to that job or would he rather not follow his dad's legacy there, that would be really hard to get out from under when it comes to expectations.  

Dawn Staley supposedly is very close with her team.  She seems to be doing OK with recruiting and winning.
Dawn has it figured out.  She is not afraid to rip them quite often when they screw up out there and holds them to a very high standard.  They respect and fear her just as much as they like her.  Seems to me Muschamp only had the like component and some respect, but they were not too concerned if they screwed up.     I don't know what personality Beamer would bring, but it seems like players really like him and that is about all I can really ascertain.  Kimrey endorsing him is about the only opinion I really put any value in.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Listening to the radio this morning, it sounds like Shane Beamer is the guy. I’m hoping not. I like Freeze or Napier but it sounds like their names are fading.

Beamer, just seems to be an guy that has one foot in the door and 1 foot out the door, we need someone  who will stay it's going to take a little bit of work it just seems like another time right now. IT'S  starting look like the old Brad Scott days which were really bad .

Totally agree. We should be desperate enough to hire someone proven. Shane needs to work his way up like Chadwell is doing. 

So 5 of 17 have been considered competent/successful (29.4%), how does that compare to new hire of head coach's with experience?
I'll have to run the numbers but that group over the same time frame would include coaches like Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, Steve Spurrier, Les Miles, Bobby Petrino, Tommy Tuberville, Ed Orgeron, Lane Kiffin, Hugh Freeze, Mike Leach, Gus Malzahn, etc.

Some good coordinators in there as well...Mark Richt, Kirby Smart, Mark Stoops, Dan Mullin...so far no guys that I can find without at least some coordinator experience

I am not sure that the facts lead to the conclusion....

Big-time schools get their pick of established head coaches - and they tend to do well because, naturally, they are at big-time schools. Less established SEC programs have to roll the dice with coordinators, and their chance of success is lower because they are coaching at the have-not programs.

The fact that the combined record is just under .500 means that first-time coaches are not total failures, just that they are not rousing successes. If you hire someone that can coach but just needs a chance, a first-time HC can work.
Just under five hundred is exactly why champ got canned. It was well deserved

Beamer is a good recruiter and has learned from some good Head Coaches. But i think that getting an HC with no coordinator experience is a risk.

Boom was likable, a good recruiter and had great numbers as a D Coordinator. Of course, he was also at schools that had great talent and he had Defensive gurus like Saban overseeing the program. If you have a lot of talent and guidance - and a good Offense to keep the D off the field - it is a lot easier to shine.  Which may be the reason that no one on the Saban coaching tree can beat him. 

Just saying, Boom had a lot of things going for him - similar to Beamer, and even more since he was a coordinator - and he did not work. I would prefer Chadwell or Napier.
Boom had already called at Florida and the team got worse the longer he was there. Wwe should've fired him the moment he brought roper with him. I'm not a huge beamer fan but he's got far less red flags than cwm

Agree on Boom needing to go, just disagreeing with the conclusion. Every HC was a first-timer at one time, even Saban at Kent State.
My conclusion was that under five hundred in this league is a failure. Nothing sanity giving people a try

Beamer also has fewer green flags - never an HC, never an OC, unknown philosophy since he has never run an Offense or Defense.

I was okay with the Boom hire because I thought that he was a good recruiter, a proven D Coordinator, so he just needed to find a good O Coordinator and we were set. It turns out that he was not that good on D without great talent, and that he could not keep from meddling with the O to help his D out.
I said it at the time. Boom was and is a list of red flags. He was exactly the person here that Florida fired and in between her was a horrible dc at auburn. The question is whether you value an unmerited second chance over a first chance. I'd prefer neither, tbh. Give someone the chance to move up from a lower league. I'm not in favor of one coach from that category over another

is beamer really the best that we can do?  All I can see is downside with a minute possibility of an upside