Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will Muschamp positive achievements at USC

ShepCock

GCF Top Poster
Fanatics Cash
This may be too soon, but I was thinking was there anything good that Will Muschamp achieved while he was HC at Carolina?

Some thoughts I had were:

1) Win over #3 Georgia in Athens (tied for our highest ranked ever all-time road win)

2) Got that losing streak vs Auburn off our back (have a chance to make it 2 in a row this year!)

3) Getting a supremely untalented first team to 6-6 and a bowl game appearance

4) Comeback win over Michigan in the Outback Bowl

Can you think of any other positive achievements?

One of the local columnists nailed it, IMO: "He did everything right except win games." And yes, of course that means he did a TON wrong, so not everything right. But in broad strokes:

• Not a whiff of impropriety - a clean program
  • Developed good and close relationships with his players
  • Hard worker
Sadly, he was a horrible gameday coach, his speciality as a defensive guru never showed itself, our team usually played to be less than the sum of its parts with a few notable exceptions (UGA and Auby wins) etc etc etc.

Was there ever an explanation why he kept fans away from practices during his tenure? Why he fired the Chaplin? Just curious.

Was there ever an explanation why he kept fans away from practices during his tenure? Why he fired the Chaplin? Just curious.
uscgmck, no idea about the chaplain, but for some reason I was thinking it was tied to the continuation of Spurrier's policy toward the end of his run, when he started seeing practices being filmed and posted by fans, so Spurrier closed practices.  So short answer, competitive reasons (ironic as it now is).

One of the local columnists nailed it, IMO: "He did everything right except win games." And yes, of course that means he did a TON wrong, so not everything right. But in broad strokes:

• Not a whiff of impropriety - a clean program
  • Developed good and close relationships with his players
  • Hard worker
Sadly, he was a horrible gameday coach, his speciality as a defensive guru never showed itself, our team usually played to be less than the sum of its parts with a few notable exceptions (UGA and Auby wins) etc etc etc.
I think that about sums it up for me.

I also give him credit for improving the football support staff into a state more in line with other national programs.  Added recruiting and game film analysts.  I tend to give him props for an increased presence/awareness of social media -- and if he had anything to do with the hiring of Justin King, a clear benefit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Positive......let me see.......how about he didn’t take us as far down as Brad Scott.

which brings me too this......how long till he’s at Clemson?

The leaving part was pretty good.

Seriously though, I agree with FC about the support staff.  I really believe he did a good job with setting up a good infrastructure for the program.  He took the whole program from being practically in the dark ages and got it modernized.

That win over Missouri in the monsoon that year was not a bad bit of coaching. End result,anyway.

He could have streaked buck nekkid down Assembly St. and still kept his job if he had won, or at least tried to have won, most of the games.

I remember unconfirmed rumors that the chaplain had too loose lips and was a source of information leaks.

He may have done many good things off the field but the majority of fans will only judge him by W/L record

Last edited by a moderator: