Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World Cup 2022

US beat Iran today 1:0. Advances out of the group stage.

Will play Netherlands on Sat at 10:00 in the round of 16. Rest of tournament is single elimination. Lose you're out.

Netherlands will be tough to beat. But you never know. That's why you play the games.

Yep, and Christian Pulisic, who scored the game winning goal, just before the half went out with an injury on the same play. The word was abdomen injury, but I wouldn't be surprised if he had a concussion also. We really need him back for the game against the Dutch.

Yep, and Christian Pulisic, who scored the game winning goal, just before the half went out with an injury on the same play. The word was abdomen injury, but I wouldn't be surprised if he had a concussion also. We really need him back for the game against the Dutch.
Yeah we will need him. Let's hope it's not Shane speak and a thigh bruise means a guy is out for 5 weeks.

is anyone else concerned about fitness? It seems against Wales and Iran we fell apart in the second halves of each game...we were lucky to keep lead and beat Iran and of course we surrendered the goal to Wales...we have looked dominant for the first half of those two games and then meh the second halves...could be a change in tactics etc....I will say we looked good the full 90 against England

I think first half pace is definitely a problem. U.S. is so uptempo the first half, there is definitely a drop in the second half. I don't think it's a fitness issue, it's just a really aggressive tempo to try to maintain for the entire game, but that is there edge right now -- speed and quickness. I'd love to see them be able to maintain that first half pace all game, but that may simply not be possible -- almost like a runner going out to fast and not having anything left in their tank.

Maybe they can figure out a way to play in a more controlled manner and pick their spots. But the knockout rounds of the World Cup is probably not the venue to start experimenting with style of play. The subs that entered for the U.S. didn't really help much yesterday. I think the subs really need to step up when they enter with fresh legs.

I was really surprised that Pulisic was injured on that play. It didn't look all that violent to me.

The play-by-play stuff on the FIFA site is pretty good and it helps you to understand the rules.

Well, clearly a disappointment, but Netherlands is just a better team. U.S. dominates time of possession but couldn't put the ball in the back of the net, whereas, Netherlands converted almost all of their opportunities. U.S. was the second youngest team in the tournament, so hopefully, they will continue to improve. We definitely need to find a 9 that can hold possession near the goal, and also need improvement on set pieces.