Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

10,000 miles

Went and rode early today because Army - Navy game is at 3, got in 16.2 miles but busted my ass.  The trail was very wet,  went down on one of the wooden bridges.  Thankfully I was going pretty slow because it was so wet.  Those bridges are as slick as owl crap when they're wet.  
Wet wooden bridges on a bike - might as well be biking on ice. I have gone down on a number of times on those. 

Went and rode early today because Army - Navy game is at 3, got in 16.2 miles but busted my ass.  The trail was very wet,  went down on one of the wooden bridges.  Thankfully I was going pretty slow because it was so wet.  Those bridges are as slick as owl crap when they're wet.  
Giving you a thumbs up for the effort Blitzy! Just got back myself and hit some serious snow showers at the top!

074A2843-0E12-4ECB-989D-01B74B80F632.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just because I'm a huge bike geek, I'd love to see pix of everybody's bikes and tell me what you like about your rig. I can do both my mtb and ebike if anybody is interested.

Just because I'm a huge bike geek, I'd love to see pix of everybody's bikes and tell me what you like about your rig. I can do both my mtb and ebike if anybody is interested.
Absolutely.  I'll try and get mine on here tomorrow.

Here's my Trek Marlin 5, I love the way it handles.  It's light and nimble yet durable.  I probably have around 10k miles on it.  Before this I had an off the rack Schwinn Sidewinder from Wal-Mart. 

It was OK but it couldn't stand up to the amount of miles I was putting on it. 

trek5.jpg

trek.jpg

trek1.jpg

trek2.jpg

trek3.jpg

trek4.jpg

That old lock brings back some memories. During my days at USC, we used to load up on beer and canoe down the Congaree at night. There is a big rock in the river upstream from the train tressels we used to hang out on and party, sometimes make a fire on it and even grill out burgers and stuff.  Then get back into the canoes and go down to these locks. Tie them up at the ladder, climb up and jump off of them. the current moves pretty fast in there so you had to swim to catch the last ladder and climb back up. 

Probably not the smartest decision in the world, but when you are 19-21 years old, you are invincible. So what could go wrong?

That old lock brings back some memories. During my days at USC, we used to load up on beer, canoe down the Congaree at night. There is a big rock in the river upstream from the train tressels we used to hang out on and party, sometimes make a fire on it and even grill out burgers and stuff.  Then get back into the canoes and go down the these locks. Tie them up at the ladder, climb up and jump off of them. the current moves pretty fast in there so you had to swim to catch the last ladder and climb back up. 

Probably not the smartest choice in the world, but when you are 19-21 years old, you are invincible. So what could go wrong?
Yeah I canoe quite a bit.  We've put in at the park there on the West Columbia side of Hwy 1 and canoed all the way down to the bridge at Hwy 601.  Right at 50 miles IIRC.  We spent the night, pitched tents, built a fire and cooked hot dogs.

I got up the next morning and cooked bacon and eggs for everyone, 6 of us.  There's something about bacon and eggs out in the woods in the early morning.

Here's my Trek Marlin 5, I love the way it handles.  It's light and nimble yet durable.  I probably have around 10k miles on it.  Before this I had an off the rack Schwinn Sidewinder from Wal-Mart. 

It was OK but it couldn't stand up to the amount of miles I was putting on it. 

View attachment 3410

View attachment 3405

View attachment 3406

View attachment 3407

View attachment 3408

View attachment 3409
That's a nice looking rig, Blitzy! There's something so awesome about a bike that has been used a ton and enjoyed.

That's a nice looking rig, Blitzy! There's something so awesome about a bike that has been used a ton and enjoyed.
I'll have some good ones for you then. Have 3 bikes. All over 20 years old. But still ride'em and enjoy them thoroughly. Will have to take and/or dig up some pics.

Almost forgot to post mine, after I asked all you guys!

You’ve seen a ton of pics of this bike before, but here’s my baby - Blueberry, my 2015 Transition Smuggler full suspension trail bike. More of a playful climber and hop machine than a full-on downhill monster. Light as a feather and super responsive. Love, love, love it. Time for a new tire on the back and I am pondering a front fork upgrade.52701BA8-44D1-41DB-BE57-7CFDA064FCAE.jpeg9004C98A-64D3-4762-BAA9-E344C42FF0AE.jpeg

Here’s the beast, Big Juggy, my Biktrix Juggernaut Pro E-mtb. A climbing monster with a motor that is almost too powerful - it chews rear freehubs for breakfast so it needs a gentle hand shifting on hills or you will simply tear the teeth out of your hub.  Fabulous gravel-road explorer but handles like a bulldozer and is basically impossible to ride on anything technical or twisty - pretty much have to stick to double track.

CDB9794A-3DBC-4FC5-84C8-331681F5EE46.jpeg

New route today busted my hump - only 8 miles but 1800 feet of climbing … but today was the last sunny day for a week and the first really nice day (but cold) in weeks - had to get out there and get after it!06DB4163-A2FE-4B4A-BE88-E79593808AB1.jpeg03F4E8AF-95E9-4C7A-80B9-EDB5ED606FAC.jpeg14B5268F-B5FD-4C0A-84E8-95B0FB030A97.jpeg34B8EF67-36A6-4995-A220-85BAF0843656.jpeg

New route today busted my hump - only 8 miles but 1800 feet of climbing … but today was the last sunny day for a week and the first really nice day (but cold) in weeks - had to get out there and get after it!
I used to ride my 10-speed down the strand to Imperial Beach from Coronado and back on Sunday afternoons when I was stationed at NAS North Island back in the day.

There was always a barely noticeable tailwind on the way out which turned very noticeable on the return leg back.  It was next to impossible to make any headway in 2nd gear most of the time, so I always had to stay in 1st gear most of the way back.

Kinda the same thing; kinda not.  LOL

27" Garelli Strada that I still have BTW.

Dropped off Blueberry at the shop yesterday after my ride for her annual tune/refit. The spring/summer/fall for sure took their toll. Getting both shocks serviced, brake bleed and new pads, a rear transmission check (any torque uphill in my granny gear and my derailluer/chain sound like a box of rocks) Moving front tire to back and getting new front. New chain, and depending how it sounds once the rear is realigned, maybe a new chainring - the tech could see how the teeth were rounding off, but it might be able to wait another season, we'll see. Actually contemplating my first big upgrade from its stock parts (bike is 6 years old) - a new front fork. But virtually every fork these days uses what is called "boost spacing" now - a wider space between the forks allows for a wider, stronger hub and through-axel, so that would mean I would also need a new front wheelset. All told that would cost me some big bucks. I'm pondering it. The big question is how much longer will I be riding aggressive single track? I'll be 57 in February but enjoy it too much to quit.

Dropped off Blueberry at the shop yesterday after my ride for her annual tune/refit. The spring/summer/fall for sure took their toll. Getting both shocks serviced, brake bleed and new pads, a rear transmission check (any torque uphill in my granny gear and my derailluer/chain sound like a box of rocks) Moving front tire to back and getting new front. New chain, and depending how it sounds once the rear is realigned, maybe a new chainring - the tech could see how the teeth were rounding off, but it might be able to wait another season, we'll see. Actually contemplating my first big upgrade from its stock parts (bike is 6 years old) - a new front fork. But virtually every fork these days uses what is called "boost spacing" now - a wider space between the forks allows for a wider, stronger hub and through-axel, so that would mean I would also need a new front wheelset. All told that would cost me some big bucks. I'm pondering it. The big question is how much longer will I be riding aggressive single track? I'll be 57 in February but enjoy it too much to quit.
I'll be 68 in January and I'm still riding.  Go for it!

i don't think a bike is ever a bad investment...as long as you can find the parts lol

during the pandemic I bought a specialized 29er that was several years old that was in great shape...full suspension but aluminum...I could not stomach a full carbon at that time and I was worried about cracking the frame (which I have done on a carbon road bike)...my bike is heavy but don't feel a thing on singletrack lol