Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

10,000 miles

i don't think a bike is ever a bad investment...as long as you can find the parts lol

during the pandemic I bought a specialized 29er that was several years old that was in great shape...full suspension but aluminum...I could not stomach a full carbon at that time and I was worried about cracking the frame (which I have done on a carbon road bike)...my bike is heavy but don't feel a thing on singletrack lol
Carbon is terrifying to me ... I just crash too much. And I agree about the investment, too - the ol' girl could use some new swag.

I'll be 68 in January and I'm still riding.  Go for it!
Oh, no doubt - don't worry about that! The question really revolves around moving to a more exploration/double track/e-bike kind of deal as opposed to my current crash-o-rama. I'm not ready to quit, not by any means, but sunsetting the more technical single track does enter into my mind now and then, especially after the two wrecks I had last month. Part of it revolves around those two wrecks stole a big chunk of my confidence that is only slowly starting to return.

That's a nice looking rig, Blitzy! There's something so awesome about a bike that has been used a ton and enjoyed.
Here is my road bike. Rode 30 mile son it today. It's old in years. but gets the job done. 

I bought it new from OutSpokin' in the early 90's. (At the time it was a small shop on the block behind Group Therapy). I used this bike a ton for the first several years. Then got into Mt Biking more, and rode this bike less. On more then one occasion, it was years between rides. About the past year of so, my neighbor has been dragging me out on rides again. feels good. 

IMG_0715.jpg

This bike is close to 30 years old. Rim breaks, downtube shifters, carbon tubes with aluminum gussets. 

Here is my road bike. Rode 30 mile son it today. It's old in years. but gets the job done. 

I bought it new from OutSpokin' in the early 90's. (At the time it was a small shop on the block behind Group Therapy). I used this bike a ton for the first several years. Then got into Mt Biking more, and rode this bike less. On more then one occasion, it was years between rides. About the past year of so, my neighbor has been dragging me out on rides again. feels good. 

View attachment 3492

This bike is close to 30 years old. Rim breaks, downtube shifters, carbon tubes with aluminum gussets. 
Oh man, she's a beaut! Downtube shifters for that "Breaking Away" vibe!

Nice looking bike Spur's...

Yesterday was a beautiful day in the Midlands for a ride.  Temp was 71 degrees, got a later start than I wanted to because I wanted to watch the girls game against UK.  Got in 15.7 miles, I'm closing in on 13k total miles, should hit it towards the end of the month.

I rode once the past couple of weeks. About froze my fingers off. Cold win. But got about 22 miles in.
I will ride down until 32 degrees with my cold weather gear...below that and it sucks...I have full fingered bike gloves that are really thick and warm but my most useful cold weather gear are my shoe covers to keep my feet warm!

I will ride down until 32 degrees with my cold weather gear...below that and it sucks...I have full fingered bike gloves that are really thick and warm but my most useful cold weather gear are my shoe covers to keep my
It was around 40 degrees. I had long finger gloves and half booties that cover the toes. Group started with 4. one guy turned around after a few miles, a second at 5. Me and another guy made it 11 before turning around.

Blueberry went into the shop over the holidays: new seals, new headset bearing, new chainring, chain, and cassette, new front fork, hub and wheelset. Riding like a brand new bike!

Blueberry went into the shop over the holidays: new seals, new headset bearing, new chainring, chain, and cassette, new front fork, hub and wheelset. Riding like a brand new bike!
Awesome...Spring is coming!

Did you mean to attach an Ikea photo, lol?

Slowly getting out onto the mountain more as the deluge ceases and we get a little warmer and drier - 40s is workable but below that I am just too old! First major crash of the new year yesterday, but no major damage.