Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Men's BB Coaching Wish List

No I'm not Darrin Horn or Steve Newton. I'm a life long GC fan that believes we deserve better than a once in every 10 year NCAA playoff appearance. How many more years do you think Frank should get producing the results he's been getting?
How long did you wait for him to win the last one? How long did you wait for him to bring you your first elite eight, sweet sixteen or final four but yet they let you stay a fan... How stupid would you feel if you fired him and he went and win a title with another school, do you think he is done coaching? He is a proven winner, a coach that has cache, a coach with a track record but go get that new shiny Horn or Newton and let us know how it works out! How about freaking give all your support to Coach Martin, how about give all your support to the program win or lose and back them like family and let the chips fall fanatic! GO COCKS! Be a life long GAMECOCK, Coach McGuire would roll over in his grave if he knew you were running off a coach like Coach Martin!!!!

How long did you wait for him to win the last one? How long did you wait for him to bring you your first elite eight, sweet sixteen or final four but yet they let you stay a fan... How stupid would you feel if you fired him and he went and win a title with another school, do you think he is done coaching? He is a proven winner, a coach that has cache, a coach with a track record but go get that new shiny Horn or Newton and let us know how it works out! How about freaking give all your support to Coach Martin, how about give all your support to the program win or lose and back them like family and let the chips fall fanatic! GO COCKS! Be a life long GAMECOCK, Coach McGuire would roll over in his grave if he knew you were running off a coach like Coach Martin!!!!
Cute speech. I was a Full Scholarship donor for 17 years. So tell me how many more years do we stick with Frank if he's getting the same results? 2? 5? 10?

I agree with some of your points GMB but is he really a winner? Sure, he delivered the very best for us for one season, then proceeded in a return to mediocrity. He's a .537 coach over his career, so yes more wins than losses = winner. .684 at KSU and .535 here. He's a mere 74-96 in the SEC and until recently the SEC hasn't been great. Frank took KSU to the tourney 4x. Took us once, although a great accomplishment with that run. At the completion of this season it will have been 5 since then with no post season. The 6th place recruiting raking in 2021 looked good and still has to gel, but prior to that 13th, 11th, 10th, & 12th coming off the F4. So he never really parlayed that run into any lasting success. Looking at this program it's hard to determine if its standing still or moving in any direction. I have hope because I really like him, want him and want all Gamecocks to succeed. UofSC, if they were to make a move, has to have a definite plan in mind and not the usual ready fire aim approach. Otherwise, give him a couple more years to see what this class does and what he can do with the usual exits and transfers.

you mad bro?

You bored mam?
No I’m good I just trying to understand why you seem to angry with people who have a different opinion than you about CFM. Nobody here is saying he is a bad guy Matter of fact most people here have a healthy respect for him. Sometimes things just run their course and you need to change and that is how many of us feel at this point.

My perception is that the portal has created a lot more parity in the SEC than there has been in a while if you look at the high number of teams with more than 5 conference losses right now.

I get the dissatisfaction with Frank, but I don't think there are any Steve Spurrier-type desirable veteran coaching candidates out there right now.

I just don't think a guy from Middle Podunk Valley Tech who has never competed in the SEC is the right move right now, either.

My perception is that the portal has created a lot more parity in the SEC than there has been in a while if you look at the high number of teams with more than 5 conference losses right now.

I get the dissatisfaction with Frank, but I don't think there are any Steve Spurrier-type desirable veteran coaching candidates out there right now.

I just don't think a guy from Middle Podunk Valley Tech who has never competed in the SEC is the right move right now, either.
YAHTZEE!!! It makes no sense to me as a fan to not be behind the team and the coach during the season, to give constructive criticism that is beyond reproach as that is your opinion. I may disagree with it but to call for a new coach and to start looking at new coaches is counter productive on a year in and year out bases, especially for a coach that has done as much for the school as coach Martin IMO. During COVID the man looked half dead and still wanted nothing more than to give the fans of this school a win, the kids, seniors on that team a better ending to their careers and in my opinion a coach with character who has shown he is a GAMECOCK for life, who did something that no one in my life time had done and then on top of that took them to the Final Four deserves to go out on his terms, to hand the reigns over to one of his guys like PROGRAMS do, as that is how you build winners but that is just my opinion.

Agreed on the coach comparison to Spurrier. If there was a version of Spurrier in MBB, he wouldn't consider UofSC most likely. Don't disregard the podunk tech schools though. The SEC has coaches now who came from Buffalo, Nevada, Louisiana Tech, Chatt. Even greasy Bruce Pearl was at Southern Indy, to Milwaukee before UT and AU. We're talking SEC basketball and aside from a couple schools the rest of the field is pretty wide open if you can field a competitive team.

No I’m good I just trying to understand why you seem to angry with people who have a different opinion than you about CFM. Nobody here is saying he is a bad guy Matter of fact most people here have a healthy respect for him. Sometimes things just run their course and you need to change and that is how many of us feel at this point.
Awesome, so let him continue to build and coach this year, support him and his team, go to the games, be loud! I love GAMECOCK basketball but don't be part of the crowd since the McGuire days that have just beat the program up and not let it build anything, hence why Martin was the first coach to win an NCAA tourney game in over 40 years and he took us to the final four but after a four years that time from 1973 to 2017 that we did not win an NCAA tourney game at this school his time has run its course. Coach Martin did that 6 other men could not do and on top of that he took us to the brink of a championship game and we should forget that after 4 years, 2 of them have been out of a science fiction novel but dismiss that, and that he is a good guy, he produces great guys, everyone likes him... WOW just WOW!

Awesome, so let him continue to build and coach this year, support him and his team, go to the games, be loud! I love GAMECOCK basketball but don't be part of the crowd since the McGuire days that have just beat the program up and not let it build anything, hence why Martin was the first coach to win an NCAA tourney game in over 40 years and he took us to the final four but after a four years that time from 1973 to 2017 that we did not win an NCAA tourney game at this school his time has run its course. Coach Martin did that 6 other men could not do and on top of that he took us to the brink of a championship game and we should forget that after 4 years, 2 of them have been out of a science fiction novel but dismiss that, and that he is a good guy, he produces great guys, everyone likes him... WOW just WOW!
So a final four appearance gives you how much leeway? I asked before and you didn't answer, how much longer do we stick with Frank if the results aren't getting better? So as fans we should be satisfied going to post season once every decade?

Ole Miss has been to more NCAA Tourneys in the last 20 years than we have in the last 50. I don't think it's asking too much to go to the Big Dance more than once a decade and at least as often as Ole Miss goes.

So a final four appearance gives you how much leeway? I asked before and you didn't answer, how much longer do we stick with Frank if the results aren't getting better? So as fans we should be satisfied going to post season once every decade?

Ole Miss has been to more NCAA Tourneys in the last 20 years than we have in the last 50. I don't think it's asking too much to go to the Big Dance more than once a decade and at least as often as Ole Miss goes.
Great example, had we not run off off Dave Odom for Horn we might have experienced the growth Ole miss did with Kennedy as they stuck with him from 2006 to 2012 flailing in the NIT and going to the ncaa 3 times he won 2 games not making it out the 2nd round the next 6 but I think Odom would have made some runs as I think Martin will!

Ole Miss has been to more NCAA Tourneys in the last 20 years than we have in the last 50. I don't think it's asking too much to go to the Big Dance more than once
As I said, I waited over 40 years for a coach to win an NCAA Tourney game and Coach took us to the Final Four within second of the title game, he deserves to go out on his terms! He proved he can win, he is not just talking, he did it, has done it in Columbia as a GAMECOCK and no one else alive can even say they won a freaking tourney game and you just want to go to the tourney... wow

As I said, I waited over 40 years for a coach to win an NCAA Tourney game and Coach took us to the Final Four within second of the title game, he deserves to go out on his terms! He proved he can win, he is not just talking, he did it, has done it in Columbia as a GAMECOCK and no one else alive can even say they won a freaking tourney game and you just want to go to the tourney... wow
So we should accept mediocrity because Frank went to a Final Four. Super.

So we should accept mediocrity because Frank went to a Final Four. Super.
We ""accepted" not winning a tourney game for 40 years doing stupid shit, stop doing stupid shit, build a program, get behind the program and stop being wishy washy every 4 or 5 years. I hate losing, guarantee Frank hates losing and know one accepts mediocrity...
Alice Enzie Zimmermann wrote, Don't Quit
When things go wrong, as they sometimes will,
When the road you’re trudging seems all uphill,
When funds are low and the debts are high,
And you want to smile but you have to sigh,
When care is pressing you down a bit,
Rest if you must, but don’t you quit.

Life is queer with its twists and turns,
As every one of us sometimes learns,
And many a failure turns about
When we might have won had we stuck it out.

Don’t give up though the pace seems slow,
You may succeed with another blow.
Often the goal is nearer than
It seems to a faltering man.
Often the struggler has given up
When he might have captured the winner’s cup.
And he learned too late when the night slipped down
How close he was to the golden crown.

Success is failure turned inside out,
The silver lining of the clouds of doubt
And you can never tell how close you are –
It may be near when it seems afar.
So stick to the fight when you’re hardest hit,
It’s when things seem worst that you mustn’t quit.

For we know the Father above looks down,
He sees our struggles and holds the crown.
He knows the way though it’s rough and drear,
He will give strength so we need not fear.
He offers to you the refreshing cup
Of the water of life; then in faith look up.
Continue on ‘til the crown is won
Which he will give when our work is done!

We ""accepted" not winning a tourney game for 40 years doing stupid shit, stop doing stupid shit, build a program, get behind the program and stop being wishy washy every 4 or 5 years.
Every 4 or 5 years? This is year 10 for Frank.

So we have come this far in this thread and I have to tell you what he has done in his 10 years hence the 4 or 5 years... weird
No you don't have to tell me, he's made the post season once in 10 years. It's not that difficult to keep up with. Yippie.

Just what makes that little old ant
Think he'll move that rubber tree plant
Anyone knows an ant, can't
Move a rubber tree plant

But he's got high hopes, he's got high hopes
He's got high apple pie, in the sky hopes

So any time you're gettin' low
'stead of lettin' go
Just remember that ant
Oops, there goes another rubber tree plant

When troubles call, and your back's to the wall
There a lot to be learned, that wall could fall