Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Men's BB Coaching Wish List

Frank has 4 SEC wins on the road so far this season.

Dave Odom only had 3 of those his entire career here and that's why we only made it to the NIT with him as HC.

Frank has consistently won more SEC road games each season than any other of our recent coaches had in their whole career here.

Let the season play out.

@GMB2USC23, I'm a bit confused with your comments...

You say "not one coach on the list recruits or coaches better than Coach Martin". I listed these names:
  • Wes Miller (Cincinatti),
  • Mike Boynton (OSU),
  • Bob Richey (Furman)
  • Luke Murray (Asst., UConn),
  • Ulric Maligi (Asst., Texas),
  • Jerrance Howard (Asst., Texas)
I'd like to reiterate that Wes Miller at UNCG was 25-10 in '16/'17, 27-8 in '17/'18, 29-7 in '18/'19, 23-9 in '19/'20, and 21-9 in '20/'20. During that stretch he took 2 teams to the NIT and 2 teams to the NCAAs. Thus far, in his first season at Cincy, he's had a solid season. He's recruited guys like James Dickey, Isaiah Miller and Francis Alonzo.

Jerrance Howard, while not a head coach, has been responsible for pulling 5* recruits like Quentin Grimes and Cliff Alexander, as well as other names like Marcus Garrett, Jalen Wilson, and David McCormack.

Ulric Maligi, per Wikipedia information, has in 13 seasons as a coach, been a part of seven 20-plus win seasons and an assistant coach of six NCAA Tournament teams. Maligi has coached and/or recruited 17 NBA players. The Athletic recognized Maligi as a 40 under 40 rising star in college basketball in the fall of 2020, and ESPN selected Maligi as one of the nation's top college basketball coaches under the age of 40.

I could record information about the others as well, but I'll stop there.

Remember... I, too, am a Frank Martin fan (and one of his leading "cheerleaders" in this forum over the past number of years). But he's proven the past few seasons that he's unable to climb back up the ladder when it comes to top notch recruits in-state and better than average recruits from the portal. I thank him for his contributions to the success and elevation of the program at USC, but his time has now passed. We need to move on and find a younger, hungry coach who has a proven record with recruiting.
How did this work out? Would you rather have Paris or Martin, just curious? Welcome to the GAMECOCKS Coach Paris and I hope you have all the success in the world, I hope they support you more than they supported Martin but you have an uphill battle since you have done nothing for us yet and Martin actually took us to a Final Four...WOW!

How did this work out? Would you rather have Paris or Martin, just curious? Welcome to the GAMECOCKS Coach Paris and I hope you have all the success in the world, I hope they support you more than they supported Martin but you have an uphill battle since you have done nothing for us yet and Martin actually took us to a Final Four...WOW!
And if Paris takes us to 2 NCAA tourneys over the next 10 years that will be twice as many as Frank did.

Serious question, do you believe taking a team to the FF earns a HC a life time pass?

No I'm not Darrin Horn or Steve Newton. I'm a life long GC fan that believes we deserve better than a once in every 10 year NCAA playoff appearance. How many more years do you think Frank should get producing the results he's been getting?
So do you believe you should have won an NCAA tourney game more than every 40 years or make a Final Four run once in your history that Martin, the guy you ran off did but hey the last coach from Chattanooga went to UMASS and never had a record over .500...
Thank goodness this is not the last guy and Paris has an uphill battle, give him support and not unrealistic expectations, let him build a program, culture or we will be wash, rinse repeat again in 5-8 years! GG Jackson come to South Carolina and help Paris build a legacy with the existing players and other new recruits that Coach Paris brings in.

So do you believe you should have won an NCAA tourney game more than every 40 years or make a Final Four run once in your history that Martin, the guy you ran off did but hey the last coach from Chattanooga went to UMASS and never had a record over .500...
Thank goodness this is not the last guy and Paris has an uphill battle, give him support and not unrealistic expectations, let him build a program, culture or we will be wash, rinse repeat again in 5-8 years! GG Jackson come to South Carolina and help Paris build a legacy with the existing players and other new recruits that Coach Paris brings in.
Again:

1 NCAA appearance in 10 years

77-99 conference record

2-7 record (IIRC) against a very mediocre tater program

And if Paris takes us to 2 NCAA tourneys over the next 10 years that will be twice as many as Frank did.

Serious question, do you believe taking a team to the FF earns a HC a life time pass?
If he loses in the 1st round of both of them would you think that? If he took us to the tourney every year he was here and lost in the 1st round would you be good? If my team had won an NCAA tourney game in my life time, not lost as 1st seed... and the coach had terrible records and was not competitive but he competed, the years he did not compete were the outliners it does not give him a life time pass but I think he deserves better, I will say that!
For me the work he did in the community, the culture, the program far outweighed all of the winning!
The relationships he made were starting to pay off, he was starting to get his feet back under him after COVID almost killed him and his spirit but all that is water under the bridge and we have a new COACH who needs support and not fair weather if we win fans, if we ever want sustained success at men's basketball! At the first sign of diversity fans did not get behind the coach, in fact we had fans complain about Coach Martin and how he coached, how he treated his players, how he acted on the bench but if you play basketball or coach basketball you know that the great coaches all are just like that and we took that away from him and in fact suspended him for it!
Imagine if Duke suspended Coach K for acting like that on the bench lol most of those fans wanted a different coach, like I wanted Martin to stay but the difference is I will give Coach Paris 100% of my loyalty from this day forward he is a GAMECOCK and MY COACH, he has my SUPPORT!

"For me the work he did in the community, the culture, the program far outweighed all of the winning!"

That's all well and good. But he wasn't hired to do work in the community etc. He was hired to win basketball games and he failed to do enough of that no matter how much spin you want to put on it, and again I was a big FM supporter right up to the end.

Again:

1 NCAA appearance in 10 years

77-99 conference record

2-7 record (IIRC) against a very mediocre tater program
What coach before him was better? How many coaches in the SEC you think are above .500 in conference play and better yet how many have taken a team to the Final Four?

What coach before him was better? How many coaches in the SEC you think are above .500 in conference play and better yet how many have taken a team to the Final Four?
That has zero to do with our program. 2-7 against the taters is totally unacceptable. Their program isn't any better than ours and probably not even as good yet Frank was 2-7 against them.

"For me the work he did in the community, the culture, the program far outweighed all of the winning!"

That's all well and good. But he wasn't hired to do work in the community etc. He was hired to win basketball games and he failed to do enough of that no matter how much spin you want to put on it, and again I was a big FM supporter right up to the end.
Roger that, so you could come in and just win, not have community ties, not do work with the local coaches, create a cheating, nasty culture and keep your job because it is all about winning for you! *uck them kids and that coach if they can't win for you...roger that! I understand what you are saying and get your point of view, I don't agree!

Roger that, so you could come in and just win, not have community ties, not do work with the local coaches, create a cheating, nasty culture and keep your job because it is all about winning for you! *uck them kids and that coach if they can't win for you...roger that! I understand what you are saying and get your point of view, I don't agree!
I didn't say any of that. The bottom line is that you have to win.

Wow, that escalated quickly. There's some middle ground you know.

I didn't say any of that. The bottom line is that you have to win.
He won more than any coach before him, I'm not sure that I can explain that any better... He also walked into a dumpster fire, went to a Final Four 5 years later, he then had to coach through COVID for 2 years and had a real hard time but no empathy for the one bad season and he should have went dancing the year before the Final Four as well as the year post season was canceled but it is all good, we don't agree and he is now the coach at UMASS, you can tell us how bad he is or good he is in a few years. Would you put money on our new coach to win an NCAA tourney game before Frank, just curious, anyone? How confident are you?

Wow, that escalated quickly. There's some middle ground you know.
So do you think coaches are paid just to win? Bob Knight disagrees, I know he is not that extreme and understand his point of view but a coach is paid for more than just winning or we have lost control and as a society are doing an injustice to the kids that are being recruited to play college basketball!

Last edited:
So do you think coaches are paid just to win? Bob Knight disagrees, I know he is not that extreme and understand his point of view but a coach is paid for more than just winning or we have lost control and as a society are doing an injustice to the kids that are being recruited to play college basketball!
Don't disagree with that at all but you seem to go to the extreme in trying to make a point. He's hired first and foremost to win games, everything else is good but it doesn't matter when you don't. I'm not saying firing Frank was right nor am I saying that hiring someone else is wrong. But you can't sensibly take the stance that because we were bad throughout history, that Frank is the only guy who can win because he did it for a magical run once. You can't also say that if there's no Frank there's only the 100% opposite of him in every other way. Frank isn't perfect nor was he a terrible coach. He is a good man and was decent at coaching but had tons of issues that he couldn't seem to overcome here.

He won more than any coach before him, I'm not sure that I can explain that any better... He also walked into a dumpster fire, went to a Final Four 5 years later, he then had to coach through COVID for 2 years and had a real hard time but no empathy for the one bad season and he should have went dancing the year before the Final Four as well as the year post season was canceled but it is all good, we don't agree and he is now the coach at UMASS, you can tell us how bad he is or good he is in a few years. Would you put money on our new coach to win an NCAA tourney game before Frank, just curious, anyone? How confident are you?
So how many more years should Frank have been given?

Don't disagree with that at all but you seem to go to the extreme in trying to make a point. He's hired first and foremost to win games, everything else is good but it doesn't matter when you don't. I'm not saying firing Frank was right nor am I saying that hiring someone else is wrong. But you can't sensibly take the stance that because we were bad throughout history, that Frank is the only guy who can win because he did it for a magical run once. You can't also say that if there's no Frank there's only the 100% opposite of him in every other way. Frank isn't perfect nor was he a terrible coach. He is a good man and was decent at coaching but had tons of issues that he couldn't seem to overcome here.
No but if your goal is to get to the mountain top and in your life time climbing that mountain you are rarely invited to climb, when invited throughout your lifetime you are one of the first group of climbers to go home and then you get invited with this lead climber and not only do you continue to climb but you are among the last group of climbers to go home and you just miss the mountain top, in fact you see the mountain top for the first time, you would climb with him for life because you know he can get you there... You wouldn't or maybe you would tell him thanks 5 years later even if he had a climbing accident, lost his hair during 2 of the most extreme climbing seasons we have ever seen...

You can go pull for Frank at Umass
I no doubt will pull for Coach Martin unless he plays us, no doubt! I'm all in for Coach Paris and hope he is treated better than Felton, Fogler and Martin while having more success! GO COCKS!! I'll be back in Columbia next weekend from FT Hood and look forward to giving Coach Paris my full support...

Last edited: