Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bourbon

I just picked this up. Found it in the bourbon aisle but it seems to have more of a scotch taste and feel. I'm still trying to figure this one out.
Technically, it's not a bourbon as it was distilled in Mexico. It looks like it meets the other qualifications for bourbon though, so that's probably why it was in the bourbon section. I read some reviews on it and I might have to pick up a bottle. Interesting that you say it's more like a Scotch considering that Scotch is primarily barley while this one is 100% corn.

Technically, it's not a bourbon as it was distilled in Mexico. It looks like it meets the other qualifications for bourbon though, so that's probably why it was in the bourbon section. I read some reviews on it and I might have to pick up a bottle. Interesting that you say it's more like a Scotch considering that Scotch is primarily barley while this one is 100% corn.
That's what's got me so puzzled. You are right. It is not technically a bourbon...I just found it in the bourbon aisle. I'm guessing the owners didn't know what to do with it either. Lol

If you see this in a store, I would recommend picking up a bottle. Really good flavor imo. A lot of caramel, butterscotch, at vanilla at first. Then it has a fruity (maybe berries, maybe cherry) finish. At 116 proof it can be a little hot for those not used to that high an ABV. A little splash of water or an ice cube or 2 can fix that though.

1672933171047.png

How was it? I've never been able to try Blanton's. I've never actually seen it out in the wild. I believe all of Blanton's offerings are allocated, so you're not likely to see it in your local liquor store.
Probably one of the best I've had. Had one drink neat, which was great. You can find it in bars around the upstate but they're charging $35 per pour or more.

Sipping on Blade and Bow tonight. Pretty smooth with the low proof. Would recommend trying it neat.

Reactions: STS
Four Roses Single Barrel this evening and just watched the documentary Neat. Highly recommend both.

four-roses-single-barrel.jpg

Last edited:
Got a Stagg Jr and a Weller Old Antique this week. Looking forward to opening those up with friends soon.

1680215400882.png1680215426670.png

Both through a coworker in Ohio. Can't find them anywhere in SC unless you pay secondary prices which are ridiculous.
Ok, that makes sense. I've scoured the state for high-end, allocated stuff, but we're pretty dry with those. Secondary prices are just stupid and I refuse to pay those.

Ok, that makes sense. I've scoured the state for high-end, allocated stuff, but we're pretty dry with those. Secondary prices are just stupid and I refuse to pay those.
Found a Blanton's on the shelf in a store yesterday and they were wanting $150 for it. Way too much. $100 is too much for that stuff. They also had a JD Sinatra Select which I just wanted for the collection but they were asking $170 for that. Made an offer on both. but left with an Old Forrester 1920 instead. Someone will pay that, not me.

OF 1920 is excellent. You're in for a treat if you've never had it before.

I actually saw some Blanton's yesterday. Went to pick up a to-go order and the restaurant had it on their shelf. Next time we go and eat there, I will be getting a pour.

I’ve seen Blanton’s around for $15 to $25 per pour. It’s good but if they have Weller OA or EH Taylor I generally go with one of those.

I’ve seen Blanton’s around for $15 to $25 per pour. It’s good but if they have Weller OA or EH Taylor I generally go with one of those.
Blanton's is $36/pour at my local bar. Occasionally members at Total Wine can enter a lottery for an opportunity to purchase rare bourbon. There is currently a lottery for an opportunity to buy a couple of Blanton's offerings, plus a few other high end browns.

Blanton's is $36/pour at my local bar. Occasionally members at Total Wine can enter a lottery for an opportunity to purchase rare bourbon. There is currently a lottery for an opportunity to buy a couple of Blanton's offerings, plus a few other high end browns.
Buy them at MSRP or does the store mark them up too?