Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corona virus, the non-asshole thread

Seems you'd wait until it bottoms out?
Well trying to predict what the bottom prices would be is outside of my know-how. I'm just going to keep throwing my extra dough in there to accumulate shares. Either way it'll eventually get back to where it was. 

Seems waiting until the CV crisis passes is a good move. 
Yeah that could be, in which case I can just hold my extra funds in savings and move it over once the chaos dies down. I will have to play it by ear for the next few weeks to see if that's how I want to proceed. The Fed just pumped a bunch of cash into the market today to try and stymie the bear market, but who knows if that will do anything.

Yeah that could be, in which case I can just hold my extra funds in savings and move it over once the chaos dies down. I will have to play it by ear for the next few weeks to see if that's how I want to proceed. The Fed just pumped a bunch of cash into the market today to try and stymie the bear market, but who knows if that will do anything.
Wow, talking of going old school...did you just break out a photo of John L. Sullivan?

Dow down another 10% today.  At this rate it will be in my best interest to delay a few capital expenditures and pleasures and keep my cash on hand for bargain shopping of which it seems will be easy pickings.  Think Buffet.

Dow down another 10% today.  At this rate it will be in my best interest to delay a few capital expenditures and pleasures and keep my cash on hand for bargain shopping of which it seems will be easy pickings.  Think Buffet.
Country-kitchen-buffet.jpg

Gotta figure out what to do with kids now for 2 weeks since public schools are closed starting monday. 

Gotta figure out what to do with kids now for 2 weeks since public schools are closed starting monday. 
Public schools closing around NC too. Out district still open for now but everyone expect it to close any moment.

This is a huge impact for families where both parents work. I sure the typical Y say camps and other similar camps will not be offered.

When you think about the economic/emotional impact...not to mention potential death toll...related to this 'self-imposed' nation wide shutdown this really is...and I mean no disrespect and get the obvious differences here...almost worse than 9/11....here is a quick list of things no longer happening or severally reduced in the United States as I type this:

Any and all sports...Pro, college or high school, music events/concerts, festivals of any kind, plays, parades, conferences of any kind, business travel, flights, cruises, education...college, high school, elementary, restaurant traffic, shopping/retail traffic, sports betting, travel in general, tourism of all kinds and on all levels, etc.

After 9/11 these were things that help get us through and helped us come back together and move on...as a nation...now these are the things that are the 'threat'...I guess I'm just comparing these two things because in my lifetime these are the two most surreal and bizarre events I can think of...and that's saying something.

I know this is a small...almost insignificant in the larger scheme of things...example but my daughter plays lacrosse for her high school and these girls have collectively put years into what they all believed was going to be the best year in school history...there are seniors who went from not winning a game for two years to making the playoffs last year when my daughters class arrived and this year they were the favorites to win the conference, make it to states and beyond...as teenage girls/athletes this is as much a part of who they are, their lives and personalities as anything else...that has simply all been canceled...they are collectively devastated...again getting that this is a small part of the larger issue but this is occurring literally millions of times over and over again across this country. These are things that will stick with them forever even though they understand the bigger picture and that it very well may have had to happen. Watching these kids breakdown in a very real way when they were told its over was truly heartbreaking. They will all make it and life will move on but when I realize that this is happening for literally tens of millions of people from high school to college and the amount of fun, positive and good things that are being erased from their/our lives it touches a part of me personally that I totally identify with.

Last edited by a moderator:
I primarily work from home or client site (which happen to be hospitals) so I have flexibility however past experience with working while kids home is still very difficult. I am hoping wife's company allows her flexibility. 

the amount of social irresponsibilty is unreal....seeing pictures on facebook of friends going on with spring break like nothing is going on is crazy

One ray of light is it appears the CV has slowed spreading in the original hot spots. 

Looking around for info: seems the CV has a shelf life on objects/materials depending on the type. Typically it can survive up to 3 days. 

If we can contain the outbreak it may mostly die out. It needs hosts to survive. But it is highly contagious and one mini-outbreak can cause another potential run on the population. 

The next few months are critical. Stay strong! 

the amount of social irresponsibilty is unreal....seeing pictures on facebook of friends going on with spring break like nothing is going on is crazy
Cant remember the show I was watching but they were interviewing people going on cruises asking why they didnt cancel. Most said "just have to live my life and what happens happens?" Sums up some very ignorant Americans...."cant happen to us"

Last edited by a moderator:
One ray of light is it appears the CV has slowed spreading in the original hot spots. 

Looking around for info: seems the CV has a shelf life on objects/materials depending on the type. Typically it can survive up to 3 days. 

If we can contain the outbreak it may mostly die out. It needs hosts to survive. But it is highly contagious and one mini-outbreak can cause another potential run on the population. 

The next few months are critical. Stay strong! 
In a laboratory setting (more on this below), coronavirus can survive on metal for up to five days, glass for four to five days, and plastic for up to nine days, according to a study recently conducted by the Journal of Hospital Infection.  Fortunately we do not live in a lab.  Real world results may differ.  CV spread is slowing down after the infection rate hits 60%-70% of the population as seen in China, Italy, and Iran.  We can expect that here as well. Our best hope is to flatten the infection curve, spread the infections out from days to weeks and months.  That would keep the hospitals from being overwhelmed.  Otherwise half of new cases will have to be triaged for treatment and the other half for death.