Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corona virus, the non-asshole thread

Last edited by a moderator:
Kids came home from school and were playing the ‘coronavirus game’. Essentially old school ‘you got cooties’ with a new name.

CORONAVIRUS
The Hand Sanitizer You Can't Find Is In This Putz's Garage

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2020/03/the-hand-sanitizer-you-cant-find-is-in-this-putzs-garage

During troubling times it is psychologically helpful to know where to vent your anger. After the 9/11 terrorist attacks, we had the face of Osama bin Laden. With the Coronavirus, there really isn’t anyone specific to blame, and it’s hard to make a dartboard out of a blown-up photo of an infected cytoplasm. The current pandemic isn’t one specific person’s fault, but there are individuals who have found in this global panic a route to becoming a real jerk.

Chief among them is Tennessee’s Matt Colvin who, with the aid of his brother Noah, was inspired by news of the potential for over 1 million American deaths to turn a handsome profit.

The retired Air Force technical sergeant is the new face of price gouging, thanks to a profile in Saturday’s New York Times. Beginning March 1st, Colvin, whose primary income is reselling collected goods on sites like Amazon, hit the road and bought as much hand sanitizer as he could find. For a while, the money was rolling in. But when his prices soared, Amazon, eBay and other marketplaces rightly shut him and his fellow panic profiteers down. He estimates he now has 17,700 bottles of the virus-killing ooze, as well as hand wipes and all the other highly sought after materials you can’t find in a store right now. The cleaning products are collecting dust.

The Times suggests that Colvin is just one of thousands of resellers that gobbled up prevention goods with an eye toward making a small fortune. (But he’s the one they photographed in a t-shirt that says “Family Man Family Business” in front of shelves of Purel and Clorox wipes he can not sell.) Chris Anderson of Central Pennsylvania estimates he made about $25,000 on masks, similar to the ones that hospitals are now rationing. An Ohio-based online seller by the name of Eric says he has made between $35,000 and $40,000 on masks. He declined to give his last name, not out of shame, but fearing “a retaliation from Amazon.”

On the one hand, you wonder if you can really blame these men? Buying low and selling high is an American tradition with roots as deep as the buttonwood tree where a group of traders created the New York Stock Exchange in 1792. Then you read Matt Colvin, hoarder of hand sanitizer, suggesting that price-gouging laws “are not built for today’s day and age. They’re built for Billy Bob’s gas station doubling the amount he charges for gas during a hurricane.” As if Coronavirus isn’t the world’s biggest hurricane.

As it happens, making your own hand sanitizer isn’t impossible. My wife cooked up a huge batch made of aloe vera gel, rubbing alcohol and some essential oils. (And I am proud to report we are not selling it online at inflated prices.) Additionally, all signs point to soap and water being an effective, if not the most effective, weapon against viruses.

Additionally, all signs point to soap and water being an effective, if not the most effective, weapon against viruses.
So why does soap work so well on the Sars-CoV-2, the coronavirus and indeed most viruses? The short story: because the virus is a self-assembled nanoparticle in which the weakest link is the lipid (fatty) bilayer. Soap dissolves the fat membrane and the virus falls apart like a house of cards and dies – or rather, we should say it becomes inactive as viruses aren’t really alive.
I never knew this. 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/12/science-soap-kills-coronavirus-alcohol-based-disinfectants

Infected people without symptoms might be driving the spread of coronavirus more than we realized

Disturbing and likely true according to experts. I don't want to raise the panic level anymore than it is, but we could have thousands spreading this all over while showing no symptoms of the virus. 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/14/health/coronavirus-asymptomatic-spread/index.html
I read the same article yesterday. I think that’s sorta always been the fear. People typically young who seem fine mingling with others who may not be and passing it along. The issue is we have to learn from China and South Korea about it since its new. We aren’t learning much from cases in this country because we have issues getting people tested en masse to get a good sample. 

We aren’t learning much from cases in this country because we have issues getting people tested en masse to get a good sample. 
Disappointing.....there's so much we don't know. 

This article is sad but telling:

Philadelphia didn't cancel a parade during a 1918 pandemic. The results were devastating

The Division of Global Migration and Quarantine at the CDC cites the Philadelphia parade as an example of what not to do during a pandemic. St. Louis canceled its parade while Philadelphia did not. In the end, the death toll in St. Louis did not rise above 700, according to the CDC

Philadelphia was one of the hardest-hit US cities. More than 12,000 people died in six weeks, with about 47,000 reported cases, according to UPenn. By the six-month mark, about 16,000 had died and there were more than half a million cases.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/15/us/philadelphia-1918-spanish-flu-trnd/index.html

Today is rough. Markets then more close to home, having both kids home while both my wife and I are attempting to work from home is very difficult. Schools making the kids do online work, yet provided no instruction about it and its new concepts. So who has to help...the parents. So now I am teaching and working. Trying to make the best of it. 

ADA just recommended that we dentists shut down for three weeks...our state board will follow tomorrow...if you all have any dental issues I would get it taken care of ASAP as I am concerned that 3 weeks is a pipe dream

Last edited by a moderator:
ADA just recommended that we dentists shut down for three weeks...our state board will follow tomorrow...if you all have any dental issues I would get it taken care of ASAP as I am concerned that 3 weeks is a pipe dream
Yeah my dentist just e-mailed saying they are shutting down. They say they will see patients for emergency dental care only. I have an apt Thursday. But I guess not anymore.

Yeah my dentist just e-mailed saying they are shutting down. They say they will see patients for emergency dental care only. I have an apt Thursday. But I guess not anymore.
yes, that NC Board of dentistry has made that call...the problem with the ADA making the call is that it has lumped everyone into the same boat.  I am doing everything I can to shut down ASAP but it is not as simple (for me at least) as just rescheduling everyone.  I wish that our board of dentistry would put out a statement to the general public.  The ADA probably represents 30% of all dentists while the Board of Dentistry represents 100% of dentists in the their respective states.  My area (east of Knoxville up to maybe Whytheville, VA and over to all othat part of VA and TN has one case thus far).  I know that it is coming...it is a matter of when and not if...shutting down practices for 3 weeks no big deal...shutting down for 6-10 weeks will mean massive layoffs in our field.  I will do whatever is best for the community! 

My area (east of Knoxville up to maybe Whytheville, VA and over to all othat part of VA and TN has one case thus far).
Are there really that many people with teeth up there?