Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corona virus, the non-asshole thread

I know the feeling all to well. I grew up with 3 sisters, so it was not long before my survival instincts kicked into gear and I started hiding a secret roll of TP for the inevitable outage. I still maintain this practice today with my wife who is notorious for using up every single square in the house and not saying a damn word to anyone. Fortunately for me, my current hiding spot is within easy reach from the toilet. It's a little cubby hole I discovered years ago that nobody else has ever seemed to notice. 
^ hoarder

Today is day 2 for me working at home and I'm about to go stir crazy.
I'm closing out week three tomorrow. 1st week wasn't too bad as kids were still at school. Last week was brutal with everyone home. This week has been better with everyone settling in a bit.

I'm closing out week three tomorrow. 1st week wasn't too bad as kids were still at school. Last week was brutal with everyone home. This week has been better with everyone settling in a bit.
I could see how having everyone at home all at once would be frustrating, for lack of a better word. I don't have kids, but my sister said things were "trying" with their 2 girls out of school.

Anyone else having issues with their elderly family manners just not getting it?

My father-in-law, who is 80, lives with us part time. The past two years he’s been spending about half a week at our place and half the week at my wife’s sisters place. It’s worked out pretty well up until the coronavirus.

We thought we had an understanding that he would stay at my SIL’s place for the time being. Her kids are grown and out of the house and ours are grade school age.

Over last few days he’s been a going to the VA to get his blood pressure check, delivering meals on wheels, and going to read on the local radio station for the blind ( which he’s been volunteering for for years).

Now he’s talking about coming to Raleigh to see one of his doctors (which he needs to do), but then wanting to stay at our house overnight to go to a bookstore in the morning.

He is literally in the highest risk population being 80 with other medical conditions, but acts like it’s no big deal to continue on as normal.

Anyone else dealing with something similar?
Raleigh native here. Hope your family stays safe! Yeah, with Wake County being the most infected area in NC, I'm hard pressed to see many people out and about. A lot of folks have been going on walks just to get out of the house in a way that's safe. Nobody wants to walk past anyone on the sidewalk though. I notice people are crossing the street to avoid anyone who is walking in their direction. Very interesting to observe.

I'm not having much trouble with family members not getting it, but given I am in college, quite a few of my friends are not taking any precautions. I think that's been more aggravating than anything. Being a young adult forced to be stuck at your parents' house 24/7 for months on end without seeing your friends at all is understandably a daunting, undesirable prospect, even if you like your parents. Fortunately, most of my friends have the moral alignment that doing all that is preferable to putting old folks' lives at stake. As for the rest, it's not that they don't care, I think it's just easy to dismiss an invisible threat, especially when nobody you know has the virus yet, and nobody can even receive testing.

Last edited by a moderator:
How convenient for the supervisors. 
Yeah it's funny how that works, huh?

It's probably about to change some though. I've heard talks of us doing 50/50 work from home and from office soon™. So we'll see how that works out.

Went by Wally World at 6:00 am when it opened hoping they would have restocked TP. But it was a failed mission. People really need to stop hoarding the stuff. I guess we’ll end up using the leaves in our backyard.

Someone needs to make an app for TP similar to Gas Buddy.
Got a 30 roll pack of Charmin at the Columbia Costco after finding none at WM and Sams. Aldi had some as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
1 hour ago, TheYancey said:

Nice! I saw this video yesterday about an hour after I already put my stuff away.  :very-sad-smiley-emoticon:

You can also put your stuff in another room for 3+ days if it's not perishable. 

I think most of the CV is being spread via people who are just not being careful. There are likely lots of people still NOT washing their hands and being careful about what they touch. 

Most of the cases here are the 18-39 group....likely they are not taking it seriously: 

https://www.azfamily.com/news/continuing_coverage/coronavirus_coverage/most-covid--positive-cases-in-maricopa-county-are-young/article_896df4e6-6fdb-11ea-b38b-bb7f51b5d75f.html

We are in a crap ton of trouble if it’s easily contracted through food/amazon packaging 

91534245_10222163315729606_3852474794226221056_o.jpg

For those of us still earning an income....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/foodnews/this-app-lets-you-send-pizza-to-health-care-workers-while-theyre-on-the-job/ar-BB11OpHc?li=BBnb7Kz

This app lets you send pizza to health care workers while they're on the job

There's a new way to show some appreciation for health care workers on the front lines battling the coronavirus outbreak while simultaneously supporting local pizzerias.Pizza delivery app Slice has partnered with Slice Out Hunger and Pizza to the Polls to create a new campaign that the groups are calling Pizza vs. Pandemic. It allows thankful citizens to feed the tireless workers who are putting themselves at risk everyday by sending them some love in the form of cheesy goodness.In less than a week, the campaign has sent over 1,600 pizzas to hungry doctors, nurses and other hospital staff members.Scott Wiener, the founder of Slice Out Hunger spoke to TODAY Food and said that the collaboration between the three organizations happened quickly after he received a call from Ilir Sela, the founder and CEO of Slice.

"Within a few hours we hashed everything out and had it up and running," Wiener said of the campaign. "It's 100% volunteer-run. I'm literally sitting here with a Google Sheet and our nonprofit credit card placing orders.Here's how it works. When people make a donation online, they can designate any hospital or medical care center nationwide to receive pizzas. The number of pies and specific toppings are determined by what the center requests. After people donate sufficient funds, Slice reaches out to its local network of pizza shops and places orders at restaurants best equipped to serve a medical center nearby. Many of the smaller eateries, which have been suffering due to mandated restaurant closures, are grateful for the influx of new business"Our team calls the center you choose to make sure they can receive outside food," Wiener said. "We can't just send pizza willy-nilly," he added, referring to the constraints the coronavirus crisis has placed on personal interactions. "Once the team has confirmation, they link up with a local pizzeria and the order is placed."

"We are sending 20 to 50 pizzas at a time." Wiener told TODAY. Currently, a lot of pies are being sent in New York, which, as of Friday, had the most confirmed coronavirus cases in the U.S. However, the campaign has also sent quite a few pies to hospitals in Indiana, Arkansas and California.Wiener said he hopes the free food will make a difference in the lives of those working so tirelessly to save others."It’s so frustrating being separated from everything and only hearing bad news," he said. "With this concept, we’re able to concentrate on positivity and people helping other people."At first, Wiener did worry that the massive pizza deliveries would be an intrusion on workers' busy schedules. So far, however, he said the response from those receiving pies has been nothing but grateful.

For those of us still earning an income....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/foodnews/this-app-lets-you-send-pizza-to-health-care-workers-while-theyre-on-the-job/ar-BB11OpHc?li=BBnb7Kz

This app lets you send pizza to health care workers while they're on the job

There's a new way to show some appreciation for health care workers on the front lines battling the coronavirus outbreak while simultaneously supporting local pizzerias.Pizza delivery app Slice has partnered with Slice Out Hunger and Pizza to the Polls to create a new campaign that the groups are calling Pizza vs. Pandemic. It allows thankful citizens to feed the tireless workers who are putting themselves at risk everyday by sending them some love in the form of cheesy goodness.In less than a week, the campaign has sent over 1,600 pizzas to hungry doctors, nurses and other hospital staff members.Scott Wiener, the founder of Slice Out Hunger spoke to TODAY Food and said that the collaboration between the three organizations happened quickly after he received a call from Ilir Sela, the founder and CEO of Slice.

"Within a few hours we hashed everything out and had it up and running," Wiener said of the campaign. "It's 100% volunteer-run. I'm literally sitting here with a Google Sheet and our nonprofit credit card placing orders.Here's how it works. When people make a donation online, they can designate any hospital or medical care center nationwide to receive pizzas. The number of pies and specific toppings are determined by what the center requests. After people donate sufficient funds, Slice reaches out to its local network of pizza shops and places orders at restaurants best equipped to serve a medical center nearby. Many of the smaller eateries, which have been suffering due to mandated restaurant closures, are grateful for the influx of new business"Our team calls the center you choose to make sure they can receive outside food," Wiener said. "We can't just send pizza willy-nilly," he added, referring to the constraints the coronavirus crisis has placed on personal interactions. "Once the team has confirmation, they link up with a local pizzeria and the order is placed."

"We are sending 20 to 50 pizzas at a time." Wiener told TODAY. Currently, a lot of pies are being sent in New York, which, as of Friday, had the most confirmed coronavirus cases in the U.S. However, the campaign has also sent quite a few pies to hospitals in Indiana, Arkansas and California.Wiener said he hopes the free food will make a difference in the lives of those working so tirelessly to save others."It’s so frustrating being separated from everything and only hearing bad news," he said. "With this concept, we’re able to concentrate on positivity and people helping other people."At first, Wiener did worry that the massive pizza deliveries would be an intrusion on workers' busy schedules. So far, however, he said the response from those receiving pies has been nothing but grateful.
Great project, thanks for the link.  I will donate tomorrow.

If you are one who goes to bars or eats out often it might be worth putting your normal tip per drink in a jar then donating to the bartenders guild or local place. I was reading a movement that was suggesting for every drink you have at home instead of going out, take that tip that you would have given while out and donate it to the people who are out of work. 

Bat guano...as a possible source of the outbreak. Seems plausible.  :673481484_shit-emoticon(1)small:

Farmers go into caves and collect the bat poop and use it as fertilizer. The virus is in the poop and one of them somehow gets it into their systems. 

This is an interesting comment: "The study shows that about a third of the first 41 confirmed infected patients had no direct exposure to the wet market. Among them was the first known patient, whose symptoms reportedly began appearing December 1."

So it's possible the wet market was just a convenient place to spread the virus and not the place of origin. 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/06/us/coronavirus-scientists-debate-origin-theories-invs/index.html

Bat guano...as a possible source of the outbreak. Seems plausible. 
673481484_shit-emoticon(1)small.gif

Farmers go into caves and collect the bat poop and use it as fertilizer. The virus is in the poop and one of them somehow gets it into their systems. 
This is an interesting comment: "The study shows that about a third of the first 41 confirmed infected patients had no direct exposure to the wet market. Among them was the first known patient, whose symptoms reportedly began appearing December 1."
So it's possible the wet market was just a convenient place to spread the virus and not the place of origin. 
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/06/us/coronavirus-scientists-debate-origin-theories-invs/index.html

The whole wet market thing seems a bit odd to me too. It’s not a good borne illness like something like e.coli or salmonella. So to think it jumped to humans by somebody eating a raw bat or whatever animal does not seem right.

The whole wet market thing seems a bit odd to me too. It’s not a good borne illness like something like e.coli or salmonella. So to think it jumped to humans by somebody eating a raw bat or whatever animal does not seem right.
How is everyone dealing? Aside from people dying and health issues?

There is a whole segment of restaurant folks out of a job. Not to mention hotel workers, airline personnel, hair salons, barbers, fitness gyms, and god knows who else.

Hope everyone is