Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corona virus, the non-asshole thread

My job went from essential™ to alternating weeks of working from home to everyone work from home in just under a month. The problem is the folks we support (military) are not working from home, and most of our work requires us to go on site. So we'll be pretty damn busy when this thing ends. 

My job went from essential™ to alternating weeks of working from home to everyone work from home in just under a month. The problem is the folks we support (military) are not working from home, and most of our work requires us to go on site. So we'll be pretty damn busy when this thing ends. 
The company is deemed essential but my specific job keeps me working at home.  We supply industry to keep machines running.  What I find a little funny is that I got an email from TruGreen, the folks that put fertilizer and weedkiller on my lawn, telling me they're also an essential business and will keep coming out. 

There are some promising trends with the spread of the CV (with a few exceptions).  :animated-applause-smiley-imagesmall:

I could see some slow return to normal within the next 6-8 weeks. 

The below projection shows the CV expected to be mostly non-existent June 1. 

The obvious concern is a re-emergence and a repeat cycle of distancing/shutdown/quarantine. 

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america

I am thankful both my wife and I are still employed full time at this point. Kids healthy, family healthy. 

Funny I think we see more of extended family via Zoom now than we ever did before. Anyone else have similar?

The market is tanking again today. Everything is.  Crude back below $20. Even gold down.  One of mine, WORX, is down 17% today.  At noon my only gainer was AMZN.  I'm still of my March lows though.  

Glad you are well. Understand about the View Points forum. I honestly cannot tell if there are people who are just contrarians and will say anything to just to arouse the anger of others, or they are actually typing what they truly believe. And then there is the useless name calling, and the answering a question with a question...

I'm here and all is well. Thanks for asking. Just talking a self imposed quarantine from the view points forum for a bit. 
LOL, I understand.  I have implemented small, limited doses from the view points forum for myself.  Quarantine may actually be a health benefit.

It's good for arguing with people you kinda know, but not really. Sometimes you just gotta get it out and it's better to make an ass out of yourself there or on other social media.

Better stock up on some meats now.  Looks like with Tyson and others having to close plants the price of some meats is going to go up, pork and bacon in particular.  I am not sure as those prices increase if the others like beef will follow.  

Just shows how devisive Politics are. But most people are decent people or so I like to think. 

If you would a facemask that is a bit uncommon, the link below will sent you to a site where you can get a mask in your clan tartan. This site has mask available in more tartans than most. If you're not of Scot descent, you can still get a mask in one of the generic tartans like The Black Watch, Pride of Scotland, US Army, US Navy, or USMC, This vendor does not have the USAF, but others do. You can do a Google search on Tartan Facemask.

http://www.kommandokilts.com/product/tartan-facemasks/

This will kill people just as surely as GA and TENN have done. The actual best opening date is June 14.  The one leg TX ha up is that they are hiring 4,000 contact tracers. Testing does limited good without that.  They're also not just opening. There are many restrictions. 

BTW, here is the continually updating chart showing the dates both nationally and by state. 

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america/florida

Interesting article about on-going research & the probability of several different strains in the US. Seems the west coast strain is not nearly as fatal as the NY area strain.

Here's a few cuts: 

In New York, 80% to 90% of patients on ventilators died, while at his hospital only two have, he said.
"I would love to say it's only that we did things better, but the infection and survival rates between New York and San Francisco are night and day," he said.

There's certainly evidence that different strains are circulating.

Research conducted at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai in New York City found the variant of the virus that arrived in New York mainly came from Europe and was a mutation of one that initially arose in China. 

The strain on the West Coast, which appeared in Seattle and San Francisco, is more closely linked to a variant from the Chinese city of Wuhan. 
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/05/05/coronavirus-strains-mutating-some-more-dangerous-than-others/3085752001/

Last edited by a moderator: