Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corona virus, the non-asshole thread

Went by Wally World at 6:00 am when it opened hoping they would have restocked TP. But it was a failed mission. People really need to stop hoarding the stuff. I guess we’ll end up using the leaves in our backyard.

Someone needs to make an app for TP similar to Gas Buddy.

Wife tried to order chicken from Sam's Club online and between the time she put it in her cart, and after an interuption from a kid, she went to complete the order and they told her the chicken was no longer available. Gonna start a neighborhood barter system. Hand sanitizer for chicken. 

Helluva time for me to have a dental emergency but it is with great trepidation that I go tomorrow @ 1:00.

Anyone else having issues with their elderly family manners just not getting it?

My father-in-law, who is 80, lives with us part time. The past two years he’s been spending about half a week at our place and half the week at my wife’s sisters place. It’s worked out pretty well up until the coronavirus.

We thought we had an understanding that he would stay at my SIL’s place for the time being. Her kids are grown and out of the house and ours are grade school age.

Over last few days he’s been a going to the VA to get his blood pressure check, delivering meals on wheels, and going to read on the local radio station for the blind ( which he’s been volunteering for for years).

Now he’s talking about coming to Raleigh to see one of his doctors (which he needs to do), but then wanting to stay at our house overnight to go to a bookstore in the morning.

He is literally in the highest risk population being 80 with other medical conditions, but acts like it’s no big deal to continue on as normal.

Anyone else dealing with something similar?

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone else having issues with their elderly family manners just not getting it?

My father-in-law, who is 80, lives with us part time. The past two years he’s been spending about half a week at our place and half the week at my wife’s sisters place. It’s worked out pretty well up until the coronavirus.

We thought we had an understanding that he would stay at my SIL’a place for the time being. Her kids are grown and out of the house and ours are grade school age.

Over last few days he’s been a going to the VA to get his blood pressure check, delivering meals on wheels, and going to read on the local radio station for the blind ( which he’s been volunteering for for years).

Now he’s talking about coming to Raleigh to see one of his doctors( which he needs to do), but then wanting to stay at our house overnight to go to a bookstore in the morning.

He is literally in the highest risk population being 80 with other medical conditions, but acts like it’s no big deal to continue on as normal.

Yep, my mom is the same and similar age.  She's carrying on the same as before.  Church, gym, seeing relatives, regular dr visits, very little if any food or supplies.  She's far more laid back than I am.  She watches home shopping network and halmark channel and avoids the news other than checking the weather. 

Wife tried to order chicken from Sam's Club online and between the time she put it in her cart, and after an interuption from a kid, she went to complete the order and they told her the chicken was no longer available. Gonna start a neighborhood barter system. Hand sanitizer for chicken. 
Lol.

We found a couple places that do the ready made frozen meals in the tin pans.  You just pop them in the oven for 20-30 mins.  Local places and it's really pretty good.  That was easier than fighting the crowd at Costco and Publix.  Both take phone or internet orders and don't have limits.  We've built a decent stash of that.  My other freezer is pretty full of venison, fish, quail, pheasant, and a turkey.  Dad has cattle & chickens so that's always a possibility if times get really bad...

Why there will soon be tons of toilet paper, and what food may be scarce, according to supply chain experts

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/why-there-will-soon-be-tons-of-toilet-paper-and-what-food-may-be-scarce-according-to-supply-chain-experts/ar-BB11nosn?li=BBnb7Kz

Stuck rationing toilet paper because you didn't stockpile during the coronavirus panic over the last few days? Don't worry, according to supply chain experts.

"All the grocery stores are going to have pallets of toilet paper sitting in the aisles and nobody is going to buy it because who needs to buy toilet paper when you got a year's worth sitting in your garage," Daniel Stanton, a supply chain expert and author of "Supply Chain Management for Dummies," tells CNBC Make It.

We thought we had an understanding that he would stay at my SIL’s place for the time being. Her kids are grown and out of the house and ours are grade school age.

Now he’s talking about coming to Raleigh to see one of his doctors (which he needs to do), but then wanting to stay at our house overnight to go to a bookstore in the morning.

My uncle lost his wife last year and has had a lax attitude towards the virus. He is in his mid 70s and pretty healthy for his age. But we've gotten this feeling from him that he doesn't care if the virus takes him and we think that is due to him losing his wife recently. He is driving across the US soon. He bought a car and had planned to visit all of his relatives during this tour of the states. He starts this weekend and will be at our place sometime in the next week. We tried to encourage him to reschedule but he just brushes it off.

Why there will soon be tons of toilet paper, and what food may be scarce, according to supply chain experts

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/why-there-will-soon-be-tons-of-toilet-paper-and-what-food-may-be-scarce-according-to-supply-chain-experts/ar-BB11nosn?li=BBnb7Kz

Stuck rationing toilet paper because you didn't stockpile during the coronavirus panic over the last few days? Don't worry, according to supply chain experts.

"All the grocery stores are going to have pallets of toilet paper sitting in the aisles and nobody is going to buy it because who needs to buy toilet paper when you got a year's worth sitting in your garage," Daniel Stanton, a supply chain expert and author of "Supply Chain Management for Dummies," tells CNBC Make It.

That's basically what I was telling the wife just the other day. It's not just TP either, but all of the stuff people have been bulk buying like food. I stopped in yesterday to grab a few things to make chicken perlo, and I noticed a lot of the ice cream shelves were empty for some reason, and nearly every packet of smoked sausage was gone. I'm not sure why anyone would stock up on those specific items, but it did lead me to trying a chicken/garlic sausage instead of my normal andouille in the dish. I am not disappointed in the results.

I think my parents who are 70 now are getting it. But leading up to today they were carefree about it. My dads bday was yesterday and we (me wife and kids) FaceTimed. We have their only grandkids so I know it may have hit home that we didn’t visit. I went over today to see them for an hour. Tried to keep distance and did not hug. I said I knew it was hard for them but it’s hard on everyone. 

I think my dad really got a jolt when he learned this afternoon that that county municpal golf courses closed for 2 weeks. 

I was just given a letter saying it is medically necessary for me to travel to and from dialysis.  I think San Antonio is about to get "shelter in place"ed. We have more cases than any other city in Texas.

Why is everyone using the term ‘social distancing’ when it’s really physical distancing that we need? We can be social on the phone, online, etc just fine. It 6 feet of physical distancing we need. Not social distancing.

Why is everyone using the term ‘social distancing’ when it’s really physical distancing that we need? We can be social on the phone, online, etc just fine. It 6 feet of physical distancing we need. Not social distancing.
Yep....

I was hiking today...saw a group of about 10....they were all petting the same dog.

There are in fact healthy young people getting very sick from this virus. 

I went to Walmart earlier today. First TP... Was only allowed one package. WHich all they had was 6 packs. So I got 6 rolls. Stuff doesnt last long in a home with three girls...just sayin!

Also Walmart is just kinda gross anyway. When you step back and look around, its a gross store. I was happy to get out of there...

Stuff doesnt last long in a home with three girls...just sayin!

I know the feeling all to well. I grew up with 3 sisters, so it was not long before my survival instincts kicked into gear and I started hiding a secret roll of TP for the inevitable outage. I still maintain this practice today with my wife who is notorious for using up every single square in the house and not saying a damn word to anyone. Fortunately for me, my current hiding spot is within easy reach from the toilet. It's a little cubby hole I discovered years ago that nobody else has ever seemed to notice.