Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corona virus, the non-asshole thread

TheYancey

GCF Top Poster
Fanatics Cash
Yeah, yeah I see that there is a thread in the forum that makes assholes out of otherwise OK people.  Ain't going there. Here is what is happening here.  Marie and I are now on a 2 month quasi lockdown.  I can venture out twice per week to get perishables. I was prepared for 2 weeks, not 2 months.   No non essential medical visits or labs.  No gym.  No restaurants.  I was able to get one of the last 18 count cases of the small 3 oz hand sanitizers from Dollar Tree online so I am good there. Online pharmacy said that they were sending me an additional 2 months of BP meds ahead of schedule free.  Plenty of antibacterial soap at home. Will hit up COSTCO or BJ's when they open tomorrow to fil in.

The markets suck.  I am down 8% from the recent highs.  I am saved from greater losses by diversification and having moved some stuff out of equities and into income producing stuff.  Sadly I had a bond called that paid a nice dividend.  Nothing pays worth a crap now. At least that gives me some cash reserves in case of need and once we know the extent of the carnage gives me the opportunity to buy.  The financial and energy sectors are what has killed me. 

How are y'all doing?  Everyone up to date on vaccines? Got supplies? 

Things are slow...but not a lot of activity in the Phoenix area. I went shopping this AM and then to the gym around noon. Used lots of foam from the dispenser and wipes. The gym was not crowded which was good. I also have wipes saturated with alcohol in the car. 

I've gotten a few emails about businesses cleaning everything. I expect local churches to eventually shut down services as well as movie theaters for the obvious reasons. 

I do recommend people stocking up on basic food items that can be cooked up if things get really bad (rice/pasta types). If not used, they can be donated to charity food orgs later. 

A few cases reported where I work. They are in self quarantine and they told all personnel not required for manufacturing to work from home for at least weeks. As far as I know I was not in contact with anyone that has it.

All the stores out of sanitizers, cleaners and wipes.

I really don’t think people realize this is just the beginning. The numbers will get worse before they get better. I dread the moment non college level schools decide to close. 

we have food but I would say it’s the same food we are accustomed to buying weekly so need to probably change buying behavior. 

stores that have disinfectant on the shelves have limits to 2 or 3 per customer

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife has her own consulting business and her current contract has her flying weekly to Orlando.  I'm hoping her employer will use a little common sense and let her telecommute.

If organizations are starting to suspend large group events (such as NCAA basketball tourney), can flight restrictions be far behind?  Because of the risk of exposure to my wife, I am at the point where I selfishly almost wish the Federal government would enact flight restrictions.

Here in western NC, things are pretty quiet with no reported cases yet.  I wish everyone continued good health, and "stay safe out there".

Well, we were prepared at home somewhat then UofSC extended spring break and my son is here for another week, so we'll be out of food soon.  Seriously though, we have some hand sanitizer already because I'm a germophobe.  Washing hands pretty often already but have probably upped that too.  Work/corp office is going full bore into trying to get otherwise lazy, unsanitary people to change their habits and be considerate of others.  They've also upped the amount of sick time so folks can lay out and take precautions.  Changing meeting structure around, cutting most travel and we skype meetings more the last couple weeks. I actually like that part and hope it stays on after this has passed.  I have moved some investments around but so far haven't been hit 'too' badly with the fluctuating markets.  Hoping for an extended warm spell and some good fortune so we call can get through this thing.  I think many of the closings/events/schools are starting to snowball since some others started it, they all feel the pressures now. 

It appears that the NBA will suspend games after tonight's schedule due to a player on the Utah Jazz testing positive for the virus.

Apparently Tom Hanks and his wife, Rita Wilson have both tested positive.

Last edited by a moderator:
With the stock market going to crap, I guess now is the time to start buying up shares while you can. I have a little side fund I've been building now for about a year, and it took one hell of a beating this week. 

With the stock market going to crap, I guess now is the time to start buying up shares while you can. I have a little side fund I've been building now for about a year, and it took one hell of a beating this week. 
I feel your pain.  I'm down 11% off my December high.  Looks like I am heading lower today.  I also had a 2.4% yield corporate bond called.  No way to get anything that pays that well today.  Once things begin to settle out I'll use part for some equity bargain hunting and part for some needed capital expenses.  I would like to use some for extra visits to the Rub&Tug Happy Ending Asian massage spa but that is off the table now too.

I feel your pain.  I'm down 11% off my December high.  Looks like I am heading lower today.  I also had a 2.4% yield corporate bond called.  No way to get anything that pays that well today.  Once things begin to settle out I'll use part for some equity bargain hunting and part for some needed capital expenses.  I would like to use some for extra visits to the Rub&Tug Happy Ending Asian massage spa but that is off the table now too.
I'm in straight index funds. My international fund took a big hit in December, but the dividend payout made up for that hit. The rest were doing ok, but my Nasdaq and S&P 500 fund have negated most of my gains. Fortunately if this winds up being like the previous crashes, it'll bounce back within a few years, and I'll be back on track to my next financial goal. Assuming nothing bad happens to my job between now and then, I should be ok.

Seems you'd wait until it bottoms out?

The remainder of the 2020 SEC Men's Basketball Tournament has been canceled due to the threat of the coronavirus, the conference announced on Thursday. The event at Bridgestone Arena in Nashville, Tennessee was set to run through the weekend before the decision was made to call off the tournament.

"Based on the latest developments and the continued spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19), the Southeastern Conference today announced the cancellation of the remainder of the 2020 Men’s Basketball Tournament in Nashville," the SEC announced on Thursday.