Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favorite BBQ Restaurant In Carolina

dreammachine

Fanatics Cash
Since many of you know that I truly love to grill/smoke all types of pork/poultry/beef and sometimes fish, I would like to tell everyone what my two or three favorite BBQ Restaurants are if I am not making it myself.

1.  Carolina BBQ in New Ellenton, SC.  Not much to look at from the outside or inside, but these people know how to make great BBQ Pork and delicious Hash & Rice.  They will do some chicken every now and then and of course they have some great tasting side dishes and it is a buffet and is very reasonable for allowing you to go back all that you want too.

2.  If I am in Charleston, SC - I am going to make it over to Rodney Scott's BBQ on the Upper End of Kings Street.  This man knows how to make wonderful pulled pork and ribs.  His side dishes are also yummy.

3.  If I stay over in Mt. Pleasant, SC sometimes - I will try to get over to Melvin's BBQ.  He is part of the Bessinger Family (maybe a cousin???), but for a franchise local restaurant - this place makes good BBQ.

I did not say Shealy's BBQ in Leesvilles, SC as I don't consider them a true BBQ Restaurant, but more like a Southern Buffet.  I can eat their mustard and vinegar based BBQ, but I don't touch that mustard hash at all!!!!!  This is a place where I go to eat some great vegetables and some very good fried chicken.

Shealy's BBQ on Friday has short ribs served with a dry rub and served with a sweet honey mustard.  YUM!!

Last edited:
I am heading up to SC today.  I will definitely hit the place up at least once.  Their pulled pork is not my favorite.  It is the kind pulled into individual strands and mixed with the sauces.  I prefer mine chunky.  The hash is good though.  Brisket is Ok for Texas types.  Ribs are good when they are on the buffet as is the pick it yourself pig.  In my old age I find that I enjoy the fish fry as much as anything.

Circle M in Liberty is my all time favorite. Swig N Swine is a close second. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody here ever been to Price's BBQ in Gilbert, SC?  I saw them on "Man - Fire - Food" one night and they do the mustard based BBQ (Pork Shoulders) and they also have fried fish on Friday and Saturday Nights - I think???  Old time Southern BBQ style of cooking as they just add a little bit of salt to their shoulders and cook them for however long the Pit Master determines as he does not or did not use a temp probe the night I saw the show and stated he could just touch the tops of his covers on his grills and he knew what the temp was and just knew how long to cook the meat (per hours).  I have always heard this about the "Old Time Pit Masters" being able to just touch and look at their meats to know when they were ready.  With all the temp probes and setting of timers - I guess the vast majority of us would be lost today if we had to cook like the Old Timers did???

I am heading up to SC today.  I will definitely hit the place up at least once.  Their pulled pork is not my favorite.  It is the kind pulled into individual strands and mixed with the sauces.  I prefer mine chunky.  The hash is good though.  Brisket is Ok for Texas types.  Ribs are good when they are on the buffet as is the pick it yourself pig.  In my old age I find that I enjoy the fish fry as much as anything.
I have been to some "fine BBQ Cooking/Fish Fry's" in my time and most of the best of them were down in Beaufort, SC after playing in golf tournaments.  Ain't nothing better than a good fish fry and great Que!!!

Circle M in Liberty is my all time favorite. Swig N Swine is a close second. 
I finally got to try Swig n' Swine a few weeks ago. They have some fantastic ribs. My usual go to is Jim n' Nick's though since there's one nearby most places the wife and I shop.

I am usually just in Columbia on visits so Little Pigs it is.  

http://littlepigs.biz/
Hey Amigo,

I checked out the website you posted and it looks like the real deal!!!  Have you ever done the buffet and was it good.  My daughter lives in York, SC and it might be a good stopping spot for me on my way there or on my way back????

Also, have you ever tried Shealy's BBQ - Buffet in Leesville, SC?  For a place that cooks a "google of chickens" each day, I would have to say that theirs is darn good and the vegetables are awesome (loaded with sugar) and they have "baked fat back" (need to get there early before it gets greasy).  Get you some "Pulley Bones" if you ever go there and if you have been there already, please excuse me and pick up the tab for me!!!

Swig N Swine - i CHECKED The Menu on line. No Buffett. Prices are high!!!

12 Bones Smokehouse in Asheville is pretty doggone good.  Went there for lunch yesterday and had just a side plate:  jalapeno cheese grits, collard greens, mac and cheese, barbeque baked beans and a big square of cornbread.

Some mighty fine eating, and maybe the best tasting collard greens I've ever had.

Last edited by a moderator:
12 Bones Smokehouse in Asheville is pretty doggone good.  Went there for lunch yesterday and had just a side plate:  jalapeno cheese grits, collard greens, mac and cheese, barbeque baked beans and a big square of cornbread.

Some mighty fine eating, and maybe the best tasting collard greens I've ever had.
Jalapeno cheese grits... Mmmmmmmmmmm!

we had a franchise of 12 Bones here in East TN (in my town of Kingsport) and I loved that place...the bbq and ribs was ok (somewhat dry) but the sides were amazing!  Is it down there on the river in Asheville?

There are two of them in Asheville...one in the Arts district on the river, and the other in South Asheville on Hwy 25 (Hendersonville Hwy).

To the best of my knowledge (grain of salt), I don't think the Asheville restaurants have any affiliations with any other locations.

There are two of them in Asheville...one in the Arts district on the river, and the other in South Asheville on Hwy 25 (Hendersonville Hwy).

To the best of my knowledge (grain of salt), I don't think the Asheville restaurants have any affiliations with any other locations.
they did at one time...this was back maybe 10 years or so ago as the recipes and menus were the same...our local one did not last