Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favorite BBQ Restaurant In Carolina

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I don't know if it is an endorsement, but President Obama has eaten there 3 times...

One more note...they just recently opened up their own brewery within the South Asheville location, 12 Bones Brewing.  I'm not a beer aficionado, but it may help if you need to decide which location to visit:  https://mountainx.com/food/carolina-beer-guy-12-bones-brewing-settles-into-the-south-asheville-scene/
We get up to Lake Lure and then over to Asheville about twice a year and I am always impressed at some of the great tasting restaurants in Asheville, NC.  I will most definitely try the BBQ place.

Went to Home Team BBQ tonight.  Was not amused.
I assume that you went to the ones in the Charleston area?  I have been to the one over in West Ashley twice and had to fight the flies off my food before I could get to it.  Got a combo plate of BBQ and Brisket and it was fair at best.  I did not try their wings, but I saw them on the BBQ TV Show "Man - Fire - Food" and they (owners) put on a lavish spread that day that does not carry over to their day to day operations of servicing their customers.  There are just too many other good places in the Charleston Area to eat darn good BBQ other than Home Team BBQ.  Just my humble opinion, but it is not traditional Southern BBQ and more like a out west type of BBQ???  

In Charleston when I go out for BBQ, it has to be Rodney Scott's BBQ on King Street or Melvin's BBQ over on Mt. Pleasant.

Well, I don't know if it is an endorsement, but President Obama has eaten there 3 times...

One more note...they just recently opened up their own brewery within the South Asheville location, 12 Bones Brewing.  I'm not a beer aficionado, but it may help if you need to decide which location to visit:  https://mountainx.com/food/carolina-beer-guy-12-bones-brewing-settles-into-the-south-asheville-scene/
not a beer afficianado living where you live?  That is blasphemy! We drive to Asheville just for the beer when releases happen!  

I assume that you went to the ones in the Charleston area?  I have been to the one over in West Ashley twice and had to fight the flies off my food before I could get to it.  Got a combo plate of BBQ and Brisket and it was fair at best.  I did not try their wings, but I saw them on the BBQ TV Show "Man - Fire - Food" and they (owners) put on a lavish spread that day that does not carry over to their day to day operations of servicing their customers.  There are just too many other good places in the Charleston Area to eat darn good BBQ other than Home Team BBQ.  Just my humble opinion, but it is not traditional Southern BBQ and more like a out west type of BBQ???  

In Charleston when I go out for BBQ, it has to be Rodney Scott's BBQ on King Street or Melvin's BBQ over on Mt. Pleasant.
No, the one in 5 points.  None of us were happy, even the baby.  

Went to Woodstone BBQ buffet in Florence this past week.  Exceeded my expectations.  That may not be saying much as I find Pee Dee dining to be less than stellar.  Fortunately there was no hash on the buffet hat day.  It is all that liver much crap down there.  There was some OK pulled pork that was under spiced.  Was good, just sort of bland.  The real stars were the other things like cluck & dumplings, all of the veggies, and some actually very nice deviled crabs.  Would not mind returning next trip.

No, the one in 5 points.  None of us were happy, even the baby.  
That's right, I had forgot that they had opened one up that way.  The college crowd for the vast majority won't know what good BBQ is and they might like it, but it ain't my thing.  Far too many other great places to go and get your money's worth.

Went to Woodstone BBQ buffet in Florence this past week.  Exceeded my expectations.  That may not be saying much as I find Pee Dee dining to be less than stellar.  Fortunately there was no hash on the buffet hat day.  It is all that liver much crap down there.  There was some OK pulled pork that was under spiced.  Was good, just sort of bland.  The real stars were the other things like cluck & dumplings, all of the veggies, and some actually very nice deviled crabs.  Would not mind returning next trip.
I am not into that Pee Dee style of Q.  I went to some place over in Kingston, SC and I saw billboards announcing  how great this BBQ Place was 10 miles before I got there.  Pulled up and the parking lot was full.  I went inside and got me a plate of some of the worst tasting BBQ I have ever eaten in my life.  I just picked at it for a few minutes and got up and left.  To each his own, but that stuff was nasty!!!

Yeah, pee on the pee dee as far as BBQ goes.  That was why this was so surprising.  The pulled pork, although bland, was better than I have had in that region.  They offered several house sauces for flavor but I am still a dry rub kinda guy.  If I were going again I would bootleg some of my own rub to mix in it.  

You are most definitely a man who knows great BBQ when he eats it - Salute!!!
Carolina BBQ was a favorite of people that worked at SRS because it was decent and so close. But just up the road towards Aiken a little ways is Duke's BBQ and the BBQ, Chicken, and all the fixings on the buffet are far better than Carolina BBQ. And their A/C works better too

Carolina BBQ was a favorite of people that worked at SRS because it was decent and so close. But just up the road towards Aiken a little ways is Duke's BBQ and the BBQ, Chicken, and all the fixings on the buffet are far better than Carolina BBQ. And their A/C works better too
I have never been to Dukes BBQ in Aiken.  I have heard that they always had a better buffet - vegetable  line than Carolina BBQ.  I go to Carolina BBQ for their delicious BBQ and their hash & rice.  Their potato salad is good, but not the best in the world, but their BBQ and hash & rice is what makes this a great BBQ Restaurant.  They are in the S.C. Best 100 BBQ Restaurants  and listed on the S.C. BBQ Trail.

They have updated and remodeled the larger room on the side and it does look better.  Comparing all of the BBQ Restaurants in the Aiken/Augusta area and I have been to all of them (except Dukes) - Carolina is my personal favorite and their price is very reasonable and you can go back all you want.  I think that their simple approach is that they just do BBQ and Hash very good and are satisfied with that - versus a lot of places trying a variety of everything on the menu and only being good at one or two max. 

I am not into that Pee Dee style of Q.  I went to some place over in Kingston, SC and I saw billboards announcing  how great this BBQ Place was 10 miles before I got there.  Pulled up and the parking lot was full.  I went inside and got me a plate of some of the worst tasting BBQ I have ever eaten in my life.  I just picked at it for a few minutes and got up and left.  To each his own, but that stuff was nasty!!!
You say you're not into Pee Dee Style Q? Well, I see you mentioned Scott's BBQ in Charleston as a favorite of your and Rodney's main (original location) is in Hemingway. My family has been getting Q from there for over 25 years. When I come home for the Christmas and New Year's Holiday, we just get the whole hog.

Can't beat Scott's IMO.

You say you're not into Pee Dee Style Q? Well, I see you mentioned Scott's BBQ in Charleston as a favorite of your and Rodney's main (original location) is in Hemingway. My family has been getting Q from there for over 25 years. When I come home for the Christmas and New Year's Holiday, we just get the whole hog.

Can't beat Scott's IMO.
Rodney Scott's BBQ Restaurant in Charleston, SC is "light years ahead of that place that I went into in Kingston, SC"!!! Rodney had opened up his style to accommodation the many different types of people that come into his Charleston Restaurant.  That's not to say that Rodney could not go back to Hemming way and do his original style anytime he wants too - it's just a different taste in Charleston that it is in the Pee Dee Region.  Most likely the same way with his Birmingham, Alabama Restaurant.

Their wings are great.  Que is just ok

Their wings sucked giant donkey dongs.  I got the smoked dry rub ones.  Just like their Q and hash they were sickeningly sweet with sugar.  Never, ever again.
I won't go so far as to say they sucked, but they certainly were not what I would call great either. I went to the one on Williman St. back a few months ago after hearing so many glowing reviews for their wings. I ordered a dozen. I was then asked if I wanted any Alabama sauce on the side. ( Strike one.) Half a dozen came to the table. (Strike two.) I ate them, and they were quite bland with zero smokiness. (Strike three.)

The bill comes, and I see that I am being charged for the full dozen wings even though only six came to the table. I point out the error to our server, who was very nice by the way. Anyways he goes to correct the error, but in doing so, he winds up completely removing the charge for the wings. Considering all three strikes and the fact that I was about to be overcharged, I didn't feel the need to correct his second error. I still tipped him well since he was very nice throughout the service.

I won't go so far as to say they sucked, but they certainly were not what I would call great either. I went to the one on Williman St. back a few months ago after hearing so many glowing reviews for their wings. I ordered a dozen. I was then asked if I wanted any Alabama sauce on the side. ( Strike one.) Half a dozen came to the table. (Strike two.) I ate them, and they were quite bland with zero smokiness. (Strike three.)

The bill comes, and I see that I am being charged for the full dozen wings even though only six came to the table. I point out the error to our server, who was very nice by the way. Anyways he goes to correct the error, but in doing so, he winds up completely removing the charge for the wings. Considering all three strikes and the fact that I was about to be overcharged, I didn't feel the need to correct his second error. I still tipped him well since he was very nice throughout the service.
I have not gone to Williman St, but have normally gone the the West Ashley location and found the wings to be good.  I've actually had people tell me they did not like the wings because they thought they were too smokey.  Not sure if there is a difference in how they do things, would not think so, but I do think once places get more than 2-3 locations all of their food suffers.  I admit I have not eaten there in quite some time as I am just not normally in that area and am not going to travel just to eat wings as I find their que lacking and the sides as well.  

I have not gone to Williman St, but have normally gone the the West Ashley location and found the wings to be good.  I've actually had people tell me they did not like the wings because they thought they were too smokey.  Not sure if there is a difference in how they do things, would not think so, but I do think once places get more than 2-3 locations all of their food suffers.  I admit I have not eaten there in quite some time as I am just not normally in that area and am not going to travel just to eat wings as I find their que lacking and the sides as well.  
Maybe I need to try the West Ashley location then. I cannot say that I have ever had anything that I thought had too much smoke though. I'm not even sure that is a part of my lexicon. And that could be why I found their wings to be bland. Either way, I am certainly willing to give them another shot, because even if I did not find the wings to be all that great, they weren't all that bad either. I've certainly paid for worse ones in my time. 

They really need to get off of that Alabama white sauce though. That is like going to a steakhouse and being offered ketchup to go with your steak.

Rodney Scott's BBQ Restaurant in Charleston, SC is "light years ahead of that place that I went into in Kingston, SC"!!! Rodney had opened up his style to accommodation the many different types of people that come into his Charleston Restaurant.  That's not to say that Rodney could not go back to Hemming way and do his original style anytime he wants too - it's just a different taste in Charleston that it is in the Pee Dee Region.  Most likely the same way with his Birmingham, Alabama Restaurant.
Rodney never left the Hemingway location. Also, before the satellite locations, the original was featured in the NY Times, Atlanta Journal and other publications as a top flight BBQ joint. Sorry you don't like that style but it is very popular and tasty.

Maybe I need to try the West Ashley location then. I cannot say that I have ever had anything that I thought had too much smoke though. I'm not even sure that is a part of my lexicon. And that could be why I found their wings to be bland. Either way, I am certainly willing to give them another shot, because even if I did not find the wings to be all that great, they weren't all that bad either. I've certainly paid for worse ones in my time. 

They really need to get off of that Alabama white sauce though. That is like going to a steakhouse and being offered ketchup to go with your steak.
Lol.  I hear ya.  Like I said have not eaten there in quite some time, so they may just be suffering from trying to run multiple locations.  I’ve seen it happen to countless restaurants.  

Last edited by a moderator: