Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possible candidates to replace Frank Martin

He is a good hire and a great man. Imagine yourself as a young high school hooper, would you rather play for a d-bag like Martin or a great dude like Paris. He will represent our school well and win games. If you haven't heard of him, that's on you- he has cut his teeth from a low level assistant and worked his way to here.
Coach Martin's players are loyal to Coach Martin so you are way off base with that, I wish we would have hired BJ or kept Frank but do think Coach Paris is a good coach... wash, rinse repeat. Congrats to Coach Paris, welcome to the GAMECOCK family and I wish you nothing but luck! Oh, ignore the trolls they can't help themselves!

The hiring process in general for SC seems troubling. I have no inside information, but repeatedly we seem to miss out on our primary target, and I don't know if that is because of Tanner's process or if Tanner isn't authorized to close a deal without President's/Board approval, and that pace simply lacks responsiveness. But their definitely seems to be a problem with the process.

Not any reflection on Coach Paris, other than the public knowledge that he wasn't the first target for the hire. Consolation prize -- a sh*tty label to hang on any coach.

The articles about the hiring search makes you think the search only lasted a week, but realistically it was probably going on long before then, at least we hope so.

Although Covid hosed up two seasons for us, it was Frank's moping on the sidelines and refusing the coach the team at times that gave us too many losses in the seasons before those. Frank got Frank fired.

Frank will make $3M in six months not to coach the team anymore and Will made $13.2M not to coach our team anymore in even less time than that. Even then, that was supposedly negotiated down to $11M, but Tanner's staff supposedly didn't update the paperwork.

If having to pay Frank $3M limited our hiring options, then it would have been best to wait another season. I can't work my job the way our men's athletic teams have been coached in recent years.

The moon is cheese. I don't know.

The hiring process in general for SC seems troubling. I have no inside information, but repeatedly we seem to miss out on our primary target, and I don't know if that is because of Tanner's process or if Tanner isn't authorized to close a deal without President's/Board approval, and that pace simply lacks responsiveness. But their definitely seems to be a problem with the process.

Not any reflection on Coach Paris, other than the public knowledge that he wasn't the first target for the hire. Consolation prize -- a sh*tty label to hang on any coach.
Question is, are we that bad of a destination or is the board being overbearing?

Question is, are we that bad of a destination or is the board being overbearing?
Fans in general have an over inflated opinion of who we can get to coach here. Most of our “targets” play us for better offers or raises and the others don’t seriously consider being here. I think Kirby was the exception to that but then UGA pulled the trigger which he couldn’t turn down. Hiring Frank was probably the biggest power move by this university in a very long time.

Coach Martin's players are loyal to Coach Martin so you are way off base with that, I wish we would have hired BJ or kept Frank but do think Coach Paris is a good coach... wash, rinse repeat. Congrats to Coach Paris, welcome to the GAMECOCK family and I wish you nothing but luck! Oh, ignore the trolls they can't help themselves!
I keep hearing this so I guess my question and not trying to be a smartass here, but serious question. Why was the rate of attrition so high each year. I am watching Hannibal and Minaya still playing and pretty well for other teams.

I keep hearing this so I guess my question and not trying to be a smartass here, but serious question. Why was the rate of attrition so high each year. I am watching Hannibal and Minaya still playing and pretty well for other teams.
Agreed. I'm not sweating that. Frank couldn't get it out of them or they couldn't deliver here but can somewhere else. This is really a rebuild project now and will take some time unless Paris is an outstanding recruiter and gets some xfrs. Some of our departing players have transferred a time or two already so again I'm not worried about building lasting success with guys who always have a suitcase in hand.

He seems to prioritize recruiting and said he's already started. I like his manner an dhis energy. He's our coach so I'll support him and hope he's the guy to move us forward. Classy that he thanked Frank and the staff first.

So players that buy in and spend there careers under Coach Martin are Coach Martin players, every coach has attrition in college basketball, every coach! Over 25% of college basketball players transferred last year. Coach Martin was having to adjust to this and using the zone this year was a good example of that. No coach has ever, ever recruited more talent to South Carolina, his record in conference and success compared to those before him speaks for itself! You take away his first 3 years, 20-21 COVID and losing Dozier with Thornwell after going to the Final Four are the only years Coach Martin didn't finish .500 or better in conference. I think the last 2 years were tough on Martin, he had a really bad, long case of COVID and it hurt him and the team.

Fans in general have an over inflated opinion of who we can get to coach here. Most of our “targets” play us for better offers or raises and the others don’t seriously consider being here. I think Kirby was the exception to that but then UGA pulled the trigger which he couldn’t turn down. Hiring Frank was probably the biggest power move by this university in a very long time.
Agreed. Most schools think their open coaching position is the ultimate destination...(See Tenn football sans Butch Jones and Beldar Conehead et al) and they are not! Add in other open positions like this year in SEC basketball-FL, GA, LSU, SC, MIss ST, etc. Then add in Tanner and gang and see what is pulled out of the bag! Hope the new coach does well!

Coach Martin was having to adjust to this and using the zone this year was a good example of that. No coach has ever, ever recruited more talent to South Carolina, his record in conference and success compared to those before him speaks for itself!
Seriously, that's the opinion you're putting forth as fact? In my opinion, I have no doubt that Coach Martin recruited a lot of talent, unfortunately, he didn't sign much of it. What we got was a seemingly unending line of offensively limited projects, that rarely developed.

And for the record, you may want to revisit the talent brought into SC by Coach McGuire. Every coach since him has suffered in comparison.

Seriously, that's the opinion you're putting forth as fact? In my opinion, I have no doubt that Coach Martin recruited a lot of talent, unfortunately, he didn't sign much of it. What we got was a seemingly unending line of offensively limited projects, that rarely developed.

And for the record, you may want to revisit the talent brought into SC by Coach McGuire. Every coach since him has suffered in comparison.
You are correct, I should have written since joining the SEC and you/I could debate Coach Fogler as he brought in a good amount of talent but his success did not compare to Martin and neither got us to a Final four! If Martin had won the Final Four and got us to the title game would he have gotten another year in your opinion, if he had won the title would he have gotten a few more years? The difference between success and failure is razor thin sometimes...

You are correct, I should have written since joining the SEC and you/I could debate Coach Fogler as he brought in a good amount of talent but his success did not compare to Martin and neither got us to a Final four! If Martin had won the Final Four and got us to the title game would he have gotten another year in your opinion, if he had won the title would he have gotten a few more years? The difference between success and failure is razor thin sometimes...
For me personally, I don't think a championship game or even a championship would have made a difference -- no sustainability. Coach Martin got a very nice run on a team that largely overachieved, and it was a magical season, but it was a true one off. I would rather have been in the NCAA Tourney 3-5 times over that 10 year period than than once with a Final Four effort -- if 3-5 times is an option. 3-5 chances to do something vs a single chance -- but that is just my personal preference.

I would venture to say that George Felton probably recruited better than Frank as well as McGuire and Folger.

This thing appeared on The Horseshoe in 1993 right after Cremins changed his mind after 3 days:

default.jpg

And then we got this guy:

default.jpg

Like the frog says, it ain't easy being green.

It ain't really ever been easy being a Gamecock, either.

Paris has essentially the same assistant coaching pedigree at Wisconsin that Fogler had at UNC back in the day.

Hopefully Paris will do well for us going forward just like Fogler did.

Last edited:
This thing appeared on The Horseshoe 1993 right after Cremins changed his mind after 3 days:

default.jpg

And then we got this guy:

default.jpg

Like the frog says, it ain't easy being green.

It ain't really ever been easy being a Gamecock, either.

Paris has essentially the same assistant coaching pedigree at Wisconsin that Fogler had at UNC back in the day.

Hopefully Paris will do well for us going forward just like Fogler did.
I thought that's how we ended up with Steve "Fig" Newton. But maybe that was before the Cremmins fiasco.

I thought that's how we ended up with Steve "Fig" Newton. But maybe that was before the Cremmins fiasco.
Nope.

Fogler's record here:

SeasonTeamOverallConferenceStandingPostseason
1993–94South Carolina9–194–125th (East)
1994–95South Carolina10–175–115th (East)
1995–96South Carolina19–128–83rd (East)NIT Quarterfinal
1996–97South Carolina24–815–11st (East)NCAA Division I First Round
1997–98South Carolina23–811–52nd (East)NCAA Division I First Round
1998–99South Carolina8–213–136th (East)
1999–00South Carolina15–175–115th (East)
2000–01South Carolina15–156–105th (East)NIT First Round