Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possible candidates to replace Frank Martin

I would venture to say that George Felton probably recruited better than Frank as well as McGuire and Folger.
Who was Felton's best recruit, Brent Price, Dozier, English, Manning, Shaw? Folger did get McKie and Howell, brought Davis back... Loved Bud Johnson, it is debatable... I loved Coach Felton and was never so pissed when he was run off and make no mistake he was run off by alumni who thought he was getting way to popular and held too much power! I also loved Coach Fogler who was also run off, for not winning enough!
This might be why we have a hard time hiring a coach...

Last edited:
please elaborate. About the new coach?
Long thread on Central about it. The live stream is over. Here is a part:

"This is a meeting of the College and University Trustee Screening Commission.

Harpootlian grilling Trustee Charles H. Williams, who is not (correction) up for re-appointment.

He claims the board didn't know Muschamp was being fired until after the fact, which I find interesting (and dubious).

He (the Trustee) is now calling Lamont Paris' contract "a bad deal" and says he chastised Tanner for giving him such a significant pay raise and a buyout coming from Chattanooga."

There was much craziness on display.

Long thread on Central about it. The live stream is over. Here is a part:

"This is a meeting of the College and University Trustee Screening Commission.

Harpootlian grilling Trustee Charles H. Williams, who is not (correction) up for re-appointment.

He claims the board didn't know Muschamp was being fired until after the fact, which I find interesting (and dubious).

He (the Trustee) is now calling Lamont Paris' contract "a bad deal" and says he chastised Tanner for giving him such a significant pay raise and a buyout coming from Chattanooga."

There was much craziness on display.
Hmm - Sounds like at least some Board members are not happy with Tanner. Wonder if this is the beginning of the end for him. I love what he has done for the University with his Baseball dominance and two Natty's, but his track record as AD is a mixed bag.

You could argue that Newton is the worst coaching hire in the history of Gamecock athletics - and that is saying something.

Nice to see Frank looking invigorated and energized about the change of scenery. He's going to succeed at UMass. They've got the resources and the facilities and the history as a program. I used to love watching UMass play back in the Calipari days. Marcus Camby and company... that was some FUN basketball. I will be tuning in whenever I get a chance to watch the new UMass under Coach Martin.

But for now... It's Head Coach Lamont Paris, baby!!

Paris and Martin both preach culture this, that, and the other.

Not enough wins came for Frank and Lamont hasn't gotten his first win as an SEC HC yet.

It doesn't mean the culture stuff is wrong, but it's still about the wins at the P5D1 level.

Turnover is not necessarily a bad thing sometimes for both parties.

Frank's teams could beat the lower/mid SEC teams. His UMass teams shouldn't have a problem in the A10.

CONFERENCEOVERALL
TeamW-LGBPCTW-LPCTHOMEAWAYSTRK
1Davidson Wildcats15-3-.83327-7.79413-19-3L2
2VCU Rams14-41.77822-10.68812-49-3L1
3Dayton Flyers14-41.77824-11.68613-47-6L1
4St. Bonaventure Bonnies12-52.5.70623-10.69713-27-4L1
5Saint Louis Billikens12-63.66723-12.65714-55-6L2
6Richmond Spiders10-85.55624-13.64911-47-5L1
7George Washington Colonials8-96.5.47112-18.4008-53-10L2
8Fordham Rams8-107.44416-16.50010-43-9L1
9George Mason Patriots7-97.43814-16.46710-44-8L3
10Mass Minutemen7-118.38915-17.46910-53-8L1
11Rhode Island Rams5-129.5.29415-16.48410-53-9L1
12La Salle Explorers5-1310.27811-19.3678-72-10L1
13Saint Joseph's Hawks5-1310.27811-19.3679-71-10L1
14Duquesne Dukes1-1613.5.0596-24.2003-111-10L17

About half the teams in the A10 have been our OOC opponents during Frank's time here.

He's paid his P5D1 dues and can enjoy just being a basketball coach on a decent salary like Cliff Ellis down at Coastal, but he's gonna get his share of upsets just like Ellis has.

Plus his wife is a UMass alumnus.

Stuff like this seems to be just part of the coaching profession to me.

Paris is bringing a fresh perspective in like Frank is at UMass. Hopefully they both do better in their new jobs.

Last edited:
Bamford had a previous relationship with Martin. His wife Anya is a UMass alum who set records for the track and field team. They’ve gotten together at Final Fours, which function as a college basketball coaching and administrating conference.

“Having that relationship in advance was a real asset to try and talk to him about this opportunity,” Bamford said.

He first reached out to Martin the day the news broke out of South Carolina about his firing. Bamford told him he was sorry to hear, first of all, then told him he was interested in having a conversation knowing he would need time to process his tenure with the Gamecocks ending.

“He’s a giant in our business,” Bamford said.