Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The (not) too early coaching search thread

I would think he and the University are well aware of that and would make it quite plain that no shenanigans would be tolerated as well as writing his contract to address any potential issues.  I doubt he's cheating at Liberty and look at what he's done with them.
I hope you are right. I'm not implying that it would happen. Just that we should not act surprised if it did. 

I hope you are right. I'm not implying that it would happen. Just that we should not act surprised if it did. 
The way I see it he would be competing with a different dynamic coaching in the East vs the West.  When he took over at Ole MIss he was pretty much an unknown and was competing in the best division/conference in college football.  Hiring him to coach an East division team would mean an easier schedule most years plus he's a known offensive genius now who (IMO) wouldn't necessarily have to resort to the same kind of recruiting tactics now that he employed then.

if tanner hires Shane Beamer he should be fired on the spot
Seriously...I'm sure Shane Beamer is a fine man but where does this even come from? In all honesty...Why would we hire Shane Beamer to be our head coach? 

Seriously...I'm sure Shane Beamer is a fine man but where does this even come from? In all honesty...Why would we hire Shane Beamer to be our head coach? 
I hope it is just message board hype b/c I can't see a single shred of upside...if I had to put my money on it I would bet on Napier and as a furman alum it makes me happy...he took us to the NCG in 2001

I don't care at all if he cheats as long as he never gets caught and doesn't endanger players. (TBF, he can get caught after we win big and I'd still be fine with him.)

I don't care at all if he cheats as long as he never gets caught and doesn't endanger players. (TBF, he can get caught after we win big and I'd still be fine with him.)
At this point, all the big names are actively cheating, if you want to compete you have to get a bit dirty. 

Yup, not saying to push players to do PEDs or endanger them, but if there are some hundred dollar handshakes on recruiting visits, I won't lose sleep over it. 
This is exactly how I feel and why I'm not troubled by Freeze's past. He didn't put anyone in harms way. Hopefully, he's learned how to cheat and not get caught. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, not saying to push players to do PEDs or endanger them, but if there are some hundred dollar handshakes on recruiting visits, I won't lose sleep over it. 
Those handshakes happen at Clemson after the games. Why do you think they insist on allowing fans on the field?

All the more reason to offer a low guaranteed base salary with emphasis on performance based bonuses that have an annulment clause if NCAA violations occur.

We wouldn't have to be total Richards about it as we could build in the potential for the bonuses to add up to a high end or even highest compensation of any SEC coach if the performance thresholds are met while keeping the program clean.
I think any contract with a low salary and incentive laden promotes the bad behavior.  I've worked in industries with a lot of incentive comp and it does not illicit the behavior you think.  Having said, pay him a fair salary with a couple basic bonuses like winning the east, etc, but then have a claw back of a percent of his salary or rescind a buyout if he gets the program in hot water.  

Having said this, I would prefer we avoid Freeze - my two cents.  

I don't hate clemson for this at all. We just need to do the same in equally cleaver ways. 
To be fair, I doubt very much that Dabo is actively involved with that type of "recruiting" but he does willingly turn a blind eye when the boosters do it and probably facilitates opportunities for it to occur.

The PEDs I think comes back on him, not that he'd ever have it linked back to him. 

To be fair, I doubt very much that Dabo is actively involved with that type of "recruiting" but he does willingly turn a blind eye when the boosters do it and probably facilitates opportunities for it to occur.

The PEDs I think comes back on him, not that he'd ever have it linked back to him. 
I'd say that is smart, as much as I hate giving anything related to disgusting orange credit for anything.