Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Trivia Thread

I spent some time on google for this...apparently AK has over 40% of the U.S.'s surface water resources.  In addition to Blitzkrieg's number of rivers, it has over 3 million lakes >5 acres -- which to me is a staggering number.

I spent some time on google for this...apparently AK has over 40% of the U.S.'s surface water resources.  In addition to Blitzkrieg's number of rivers, it has over 3 million lakes >5 acres -- which to me is a staggering number.
I wonder who counted them all 

I wonder who counted them all 
Well I should have given credit to Alaska Department of Fish and Game.

And naming is actually pertinent to Blitzkrieg's question, because their is a differentiation between named rivers and unnamed rivers.

I find that hard to believe with the Great Lakes. But Alaska is big. so maybe. Do they consider Glaciers as surface water. Because that would certainly add up. 
it is a great question...I looked it up...12,000 rivers...crazy!    I just read that 3/4 of all fresh water in Alaska is stored as glacial ice

it is a great question...I looked it up...12,000 rivers...crazy!    I just read that 3/4 of all fresh water in Alaska is stored as glacial ice
Correct.  That's amazing any way you cut it.

10?  I know that Tennessee had the most at around 30 as it gave us the nickname as the volunteer state

I don't know if it's still there or not but I remember there was one of those historical marker plaques on Hwy 378 as you enter Saluda County for William Travis who was born there.

Trying to remember from visiting the Alamo a couple years ago. I was thinking it was about 10, but if that and 8 are wrong I will guess 9.