Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Worst Era In Gamecock Sports History

South Carolina is just as good any other place to coach , the main reason is the Coaches cannot get the talent here,  that should change with all the facilities in place now.   The issue has been they really don't won't to spend the monies the problem is the board of trustees that are in place. 

Lane K,   was available - not offered . 

Mel Tucker - not offered 

Kirby Smart - too late they could have  gotten him earlier. 

should have offered - Tennessee Coach  who is  now there. nor offers.  

Funny, you call me a dimwit. Wish you could read your own words and have enough self awareness to see how conditioned you are to accept and go forward with the low tier mediocrity of this program. We have the money and resources to compete but we don't thanks to losers like you who expect us keep our station on the bottom of the pile. 
You're right, its such a simple solution.  Maybe give the BOT or RT a shout and enlighten them the way you have me with your detailed plan to create a juggernaut.  I'd bet they'd pay you for just a snipit of that knowledge. 

South Carolina is just as good any other place to coach , the main reason is the Coaches cannot get the talent here,  that should change with all the facilities in place now.   The issue has been they really don't won't to spend the monies the problem is the board of trustees that are in place. 

Lane K,   was available - not offered . 

Mel Tucker - not offered 

Kirby Smart - too late they could have  gotten him earlier. 

should have offered - Tennessee Coach  who is  now there. nor offers.  
I don't think this is completely accurate.

At the time we hired Muschamp, the only viable option of these listed was Kirby, and from my understanding, that's where we were headed, until UGA decided they didn't want that, so they canned Richt, and took him.  I can't blame the administration for that.

The rest were not available.

Last year, when we hired Beamer, the only one available may have been Heupel.

I think Beamer will be fine, but I do understand what people are saying about the BOT.  We do have a strange history of flopping on most coaching choices.

You're right, its such a simple solution.  Maybe give the BOT or RT a shout and enlighten them the way you have me with your detailed plan to create a juggernaut.  I'd bet they'd pay you for just a snipit of that knowledge. 
No, you're right. Just leave things the way they are. Everything's great.

Turning this around is simple. Just go out and hired coordinators and line coaches that have proven SEC track records in those jobs.

Hiring the right coordinators is key to success in college ball (pro as well, but esp college).  Taters did that with Dabo and staff.  I think that helped their success.  In year one, sadly we are right about where I expected.  CWM did not leave much, especially in the QB dept.  Hopefully CSB evaluates his staff and makes any needed changes. 

First of all. This starts at the top Ray Tanner has to go as AD. He was a great Baseball Coach. But he is also a Classic Example of "THE PETERS PRINCIPLE".

If you want to give Beemer more time fine, But he has to FIRE his Offensive and Defensive coordinators. He must fire his O-Line coach. If he is not willing to do this immediately, he has to go. Now, you are going to say it can't be done now. Why? Missouri fire their D-Line coach in the first half of the season. Auburn fired their wide receivers coach already. Florida fired their Defensive Coordinator and their O-Line coach last week. Why do we have to wait. 

Time to open the purse strings and hire the best replacements we can find. 

Look I have been in Business for myself for 40 years. One of the things I have learn is never be afraid to hire or buy the best. You will not be disappointed.

You folks keep saying we cannot afford it. Well, tell the fan base and supporters what you need and what you are going to spend it on. The money will be there. Hell, I will write the first check.

To say this cannot be turned around in the next two years , in this era of the transfer portal is JUST TAKING A LOSERS ATTITUDE.

A TRUE GAMECOCK will fight to the death. Time to fix the Football and Men's Basketball Programs. NOW!!!!!!!!!

I am tired of hearing how proud Coach is after each game.  If you practiced all week and didn't perform well in the game I would refrain from being proud.  I understand each game has it's bright spots/players but it is a team sport.  I don't see the team getting any better with low expectations and participation awards.  Rebuilding?  I don't believe this is the first time any of these players have played football.  At this level of competition with the level of coaching and game planning the university is paying for, you should be able to expect a better product on field.  IMO

With the portal expanding scholarships by 7 to help with the loss of players per the portal. Should have a team in 2 years, The 5 year plan is out the window now.  Just look at Michigan St. one year turn around with the portal.  

No coach is getting 5 years to turn it around IMO.  Unless it's obvious we are on the brink of success, Shane will not be afforded that timeline.  Hit the portal hard this year.  The portal is filled with quality players that can come in and play right away.  Beamer needs evaluate his staff and make sure he has the right pieces in place for coaches.  If he fails to do this, he will be doomed.  I think our staff needs some upgrades for sure.  Staying loyal to coaches not getting it done gets head coaches fired.

Nice perspective. Agree with everything you said.

First of all. This starts at the top Ray Tanner has to go as AD. He was a great Baseball Coach. But he is also a Classic Example of "THE PETERS PRINCIPLE".

If you want to give Beemer more time fine, But he has to FIRE his Offensive and Defensive coordinators. He must fire his O-Line coach. If he is not willing to do this immediately, he has to go. Now, you are going to say it can't be done now. Why? Missouri fire their D-Line coach in the first half of the season. Auburn fired their wide receivers coach already. Florida fired their Defensive Coordinator and their O-Line coach last week. Why do we have to wait. 

Time to open the purse strings and hire the best replacements we can find. 

Look I have been in Business for myself for 40 years. One of the things I have learn is never be afraid to hire or buy the best. You will not be disappointed.

You folks keep saying we cannot afford it. Well, tell the fan base and supporters what you need and what you are going to spend it on. The money will be there. Hell, I will write the first check.

To say this cannot be turned around in the next two years , in this era of the transfer portal is JUST TAKING A LOSERS ATTITUDE.

A TRUE GAMECOCK will fight to the death. Time to fix the Football and Men's Basketball Programs. NOW!!!!!!!!!
Brother, you are singing my tune!

I don't think this is completely accurate.

At the time we hired Muschamp, the only viable option of these listed was Kirby, and from my understanding, that's where we were headed, until UGA decided they didn't want that, so they canned Richt, and took him.  I can't blame the administration for that.

The rest were not available.

Last year, when we hired Beamer, the only one available may have been Heupel.

I think Beamer will be fine, but I do understand what people are saying about the BOT.  We do have a strange history of flopping on most coaching choices.
Who limited us to only those options? We have as many options in hiring a coach as anybody else. We have the money. It's costing us tons of money to have a crappy program. We need to hire the best we can get. 

I am tired of hearing how proud Coach is after each game.  If you practiced all week and didn't perform well in the game I would refrain from being proud.  I understand each game has it's bright spots/players but it is a team sport.  I don't see the team getting any better with low expectations and participation awards.  Rebuilding?  I don't believe this is the first time any of these players have played football.  At this level of competition with the level of coaching and game planning the university is paying for, you should be able to expect a better product on field.  IMO
This is how I feel.  Don't want to hear the rah rah any more.  These guy have been playing football how long?  You're on a free ride called a scholarship, play with some fire!

Why stop with just the coaches?

Sir Spir.  Yeah, that guy is definitely not working out.  Too soft.  We need to recruit a real Fighting Rooster out of Juarez.  Money is no exception.  Ship ole Sir Spir to Chick-fil-A in Atlanta.  Just tell him it's one of those experimental marketing campaigns, if you know what I mean.

Cocky.  I am definitely tired of looking at that over-sized and overrated finger puppet.  Reach out to Big Bird and see what happens.  Kinda like how nobody thought Spurrier would want to come here, but he did.  Muppets on Ice is always looking for good help.  He might even make it back to the CLA occasionally.

My well-placed sources told me today was the day to mulch the leaves in my yard, so that's what I did today.  Enjoying some fine Italian cuisine and Bud Light tonight and suddenly everything just kinda made sense.

O, little blue cans of freedom which art etched forever into the history of the world, bless you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard that on 107.5 a few weeks back and made me step back. Why in the world would you want another team to beat because you do not like the coach and want change. Never could understand that kind of backward logic. Man, I want to win, I would be happy with any coach that could take us to the promised land and always want them to succeed even when we are 0-10 want to win and want him to succeed.  

If you're cheering for another team to beat us then you have issues.  Also the comment about WBB is uncalled for.  Get on board or get lost.

We were never as good as we thought after the Florida win, obviously.  It gave a lot of false hope that somehow issues had been erased through the bye week.  They have not and I'm not sure that anyone on this team skill player wise will be around by the time we can recruit and develop toughness on this team along the O line and find a competent QB.  What a shame too because we have 1 really good WR and some very good backs.  Its way too early to say that Beamer isn't the guy.  Ridiculously early.  He will go through some growing pains as he matures as a HC and we will have to suffer for it at times.  This will not be the same staff 2-3 years from now either.  We basically started over at ground zero with him  - and he has the tough job of working through what Muschamp left.  It will take multiple recruiting cycles and some luck to get get this team into a consistently competitive team.  Even with all that, we still had a chance to win yesterday.
Hey, we are PAYING FOR STALEY WITH FOOTBALL MONEY. Her program couldn't possibly support her contract. She's making as much or more than our Head Football Coach. We've got to take care of the goose that lays the golden eggs, my friend, and that is the football program. If having a great womens basketball program at the expense of hiring a qualified football coach who can make us a real competitor in the SEC which makes us a lot more money to have great nonrevenue sports is a good idea to you that's fine, but I think that is frankly a very dumb notion being implemented by some very lackadaisical people at the top of our university and athletics department. There's an old truism in business - if you ain't growing, you're dying.

One more thing, LSU needs a football coach. How do you think their fans would react if they hired a guy like Beamer? Are we or are we not in the same conference and supposed to be competing with them? Don't you think our Head Football Coach should have the same stature and reputation as the LSU coach? I do. I'm sick and tired of this University bringing a knife to a gun fight. If we don't have the money and resources to compete in the SEC we should get out. Otherwise, spend the money to get us the kind of quality coaches and recruiters we need. Those folks in the Upstate are shelling out the big bucks to keep their program on top. We are supposed to be competing with them, aren't we? 

And by the way, watching womens basketball is like watching a Ford Pinto race, in my opinion. Glad you like it.

This reads like self pity and desperation. I get it though. You are angry and scared by every loss. Every loss makes it less likely that you will ever see a great Gamecocks football or Men’s basketball team in your lifetime. You must feel like you’ve wasted sixty-something years or fandom (or not but your post certainly reads that way). 

It must be a bitter pill to swallow to believe that Coach Beamer (and Coach Martin) is not nor will ever be the guy because if that is the case you also realize the people who hired and retained them would also have to be removed for the university to have their best chance at hiring coaches who can recruit and call plays at the SEC level. that would mean at least another five years wasted, right? 

You can’t get that time back. 

With this understanding of your perspective I also understand why you state this is the worst era. Our QB room has never looked this shaken and unproven compared to our division counterparts. Our two options are a third string player that got benched from a level of football and a graduate assistant who was pressed into service. Our offensive line literally cannot block the worst defenses in the country. Our scoring per game is pathetic and We ranked right beside Vanderbilt in the basement of the SEC. At this point, there are NO signs that our program will improve in the next three to five years (which is how long I expect Beamer to last at the very least). The basketball team is in just as bad shape - another team losing to very bad teams and not being able to score. 

It must feel like a existential crisis and you must regret ever beginning to cheer for the Gamecocks in the first place.

That is what I read in your post and I feel bad for you. There is nothing I can say or do to give you hope.
After reflecting on your junior psychology analysis of me, I must admit you're dead on right about a lot of that stuff. I AM definitely a self pitying crybaby when it comes to the subject of being sick and tired of seeing my Gamecocks putting a second rate or even lower product on the field year after year. I want something to cheer about - something to be proud of. But that ain't what we have and I don't see that changing any time soon. Ain't like we couldn't do something about it either. It's a choice whether we're going to go all out to seriously compete and win or whether we're going to continue to settle for dog crap. If we don't have the resources to compete then let's get out of the SEC altogether. Were you especially proud of the Tennessee game or the Georgia game or the Vanderbilt game or the Mizzou game? It's a foul stench around here to me. We barely beat Troy and ECU. If you have hope, what are you basing that hope on? I'd like to know. I feel bad for you if you feel hopeful because I think you're deluding yourself. Can you even imagine LSU hiring someone like Beamer? Do you remember the crackling electricity at the presser when Spurrier was announced as our Head Coach? We were in the national limelight for weeks after that. Hell, I doubt if anybody in NC knows who our coach is now. There wasn't the slightest ripple when Beamer was announced. 

So yeah, you're right. I'm desperate for change here. Crying like a baby.

Well, I am one who is tired of people bashing women's basketball in this state and Coach Staley, you should be proud to have her at you're school all that she has accomplished she is just getting started I can remember the ass kicking's they took years ago it was not fun for my wife who loves college basketball and women's hell she pulled for PAT at TENNESSEE  for years because she could not take the beatings and false hope at South Carolina.  I hated it but she was right now we have an winner at South Carolina and you guys want to throw her out the door.  Well let me tell you that is not going to happen and I hope she is here for an long time winning  she's done more for this School in ten years than anyone else has to help it grow, so I hope she get's another contract worth 10 million more that's the reason football is not winning you have to hire people who can build an program at an bottom feeder school like South Carolina for the moment.  

I would have like to have had another big name coach too but they aren't coming here  the board is the issue at Carolina,  so they went an got an guy who has to change the culture here in football so it's going to take an minute but I feel he will get it done and then South Carolina will be  back in Football in year 3  I see the change coming hell I'd like to have an big name guy but it is what it is.  We don't have the Jimmie and Joe's DAWN HAS PROVEN THAT JUST LOOK NOW SHE'S TURNNING AWAY BALLPLAYERS .  It took Tanner an while, as well in Baseball.   

Well, I am one who is tired of people bashing women's basketball in this state and Coach Staley, you should be proud to have her at you're school all that she has accomplished she is just getting started I can remember the ass kicking's they took years ago it was not fun for my wife who loves college basketball and women's hell she pulled for PAT at TENNESSEE  for years because she could not take the beatings and false hope at South Carolina.  I hated it but she was right now we have an winner at South Carolina and you guys want to throw her out the door.  Well let me tell you that is not going to happen and I hope she is here for an long time winning  she's done more for this School in ten years than anyone else has to help it grow, so I hope she get's another contract worth 10 million more that's the reason football is not winning you have to hire people who can build an program at an bottom feeder school like South Carolina for the moment.  

I would have like to have had another big name coach too but they aren't coming here  the board is the issue at Carolina,  so they went an got an guy who has to change the culture here in football so it's going to take an minute but I feel he will get it done and then South Carolina will be  back in Football in year 3  I see the change coming hell I'd like to have an big name guy but it is what it is.  We don't have the Jimmie and Joe's DAWN HAS PROVEN THAT JUST LOOK NOW SHE'S TURNNING AWAY BALLPLAYERS .  It took Tanner an while, as well in Baseball.   
Agree 100%. We have sold 10 THOUSAND women's bb season tickets, we usually lead the nation in attendance, and have the #1 team in the land and a HOF coach.  While we're at it, huge props to our women's soccer program (just FYI, it's also a sport) for making it to Round 2 of the NCAA tourney (again) today.