Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Worst Era In Gamecock Sports History

Personally, I don't feel that what we are paying Dawn is keeping us from hiring the best football coach.  Let's be honest, SC is not a destination job for top football coaches.  I love our Gamecocks, but our football program has been mired in mediocrity.  Outside of some seasons here and there in various decades when we were good, most of the time we are meh.  I think Tanner screwed up big time by giving Muschamp that raise and buyout.  Could we have hired someone better than Beamer?  Maybe.  Or maybe they would have turned us down.

Beamer is in year one.  Muschamp did not leave us with much and while I am not sold on all of the assistant coaches, I am willing to give Beamer some time. 

Hey, we are PAYING FOR STALEY WITH FOOTBALL MONEY. Her program couldn't possibly support her contract. She's making as much or more than our Head Football Coach. We've got to take care of the goose that lays the golden eggs, my friend, and that is the football program. If having a great womens basketball program at the expense of hiring a qualified football coach who can make us a real competitor in the SEC which makes us a lot more money to have great nonrevenue sports is a good idea to you that's fine, but I think that is frankly a very dumb notion being implemented by some very lackadaisical people at the top of our university and athletics department. There's an old truism in business - if you ain't growing, you're dying.

One more thing, LSU needs a football coach. How do you think their fans would react if they hired a guy like Beamer? Are we or are we not in the same conference and supposed to be competing with them? Don't you think our Head Football Coach should have the same stature and reputation as the LSU coach? I do. I'm sick and tired of this University bringing a knife to a gun fight. If we don't have the money and resources to compete in the SEC we should get out. Otherwise, spend the money to get us the kind of quality coaches and recruiters we need. Those folks in the Upstate are shelling out the big bucks to keep their program on top. We are supposed to be competing with them, aren't we? 

And by the way, watching womens basketball is like watching a Ford Pinto race, in my opinion. Glad you like it.
Technically, We are paying Georgia’s Special Teams Coach and Auburn’s Defensive Coordinator WITH FOOTBALL MONEY.

PAYING FOR STALEY WITH FOOTBALL MONEY
We are paying for Dawn with SEC football TV deal money. To be clear. And that would be the same amount of $$$ if we were 0-12 as 12-0, so stop pretending that the revenue stream you keep yakking about is based on success, or which coach we have, because it's not. We get $43 million dollars because we play football in the SEC.  SO DOES VANDY. Every athletic program in the conference uses that TV money to shore up the reality of budgets inside their program.

Do you even know what Title IX is and what is means for university athletic programs? Because the way you talk makes it sound like Carolina football is basically a pro team that can do whatever it wants with whatever money it can lay its hands on, which is pure fantasy.

Technically, We are paying Georgia’s Special Teams Coach and Auburn’s Defensive Coordinator WITH FOOTBALL MONEY.
Good point! A result of prior poor coach hiring decisions and warrantless contract extensions, wouldn't you say? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for providing that link, which clearly states that we have 2 - only 2 - profitable sports in our entire athletics program - football and MENS basketball. No surprise, the biggest drain we have on our total revenue of over $140,000,000, is WOMENS BASKETBALL. It is costing us and all other programs a fortune to sustain the nonrevenue sports like WOMENS BASKETBALL due to Title IX. Seems like you'd want to reduce expenses on nonrevenue programs in order to free resources to bolster the big revenue generating programs which pay for all the other sports. Yet we just hugely increased the contract of the coach of a nonrevenue generating sport at a time when our revenue generating sports are hurting. It's nice to have a good women's basketball team IF you can afford it, but it should be considered a luxury item provided by the largesse of successful and profitable revenue generating programs which we do not have at this point in time. To me, that's just plain old common sense, but that kind of thinking has given way to the feeling-based, antilogical, insanely WOKE attitudes that seem to permeate the minds of our top decision makers. 

I'll be kind and not call out anyone for prior ignorant statements that indicate that since we pay for Staley with revenue from one dedicated revenue stream, that we are somehow constrained from allocating spending from other sources to achieve greater success and resulting revenue increases by winning more football and MENS BASKETBALL games and improving the overall reputation and brand of Gamecock sports. That opinion is frankly obtuse, ignoring the reality that our peer competitors aren't spending a ton more than we are on head coaches, coordinators, and staff, in addition to much larger recruiting budgets. We actually need to out spend them in order to play catch up. We need to hire the kinds of coaches and staffs for those sports which are comparable to our most successful competitors. That indicates in a public way that we intend to actually compete for championships and not be the bottom feeders of the SEC.

We need more bold, aggressive, and pragmatic leadership. Can't any of you remember how it was when we were beating the snot out of Clemson five years in a row? It felt GOOD! We were on a roll, but we need unflinching leaders who are 100% committed to getting us back to excellence and keeping us there. I'm just not seeing that kind of commitment anywhere on the horizon and in fact it looks like our trajectory is continuing downward. Already said this, but look up the road to Clemson - do they spend a lot more money than we do on recruiting, staffing, and facilities? Damn right they do. I thought we were supposed to be competing with them! Unfortunately though, they are committed to doing whatever it takes to kick our butts in perpetuity and they know we aren't going to fight back. Aren't you sick and tired of those snotty Clemson fans sneering at us all the time? It sucks.

We squandered an opportunity to replace Muschamp. We really didn't even go out and interview any worthwhile coaches then or when we hired Muschamp. We just settle on whomever is the first person willing to take the job. You can already see that there is no bump in our football recruiting. It's by and large about the same quality that Muschamp was getting. I love Frank Martin and I truly hope he can turn the basketball program around, but face it - enthusiasm for our basketball program is dwindling. If we force Martin out as the rumor mill suggests, what are the chances we would actually go out and hire a better coach than him? It just seems like we Gamecock fans get a whole lot more tricks than treats. It always amazes me that there are fans who would defend the status quo. 

We are paying for Dawn with SEC football TV deal money. To be clear. And that would be the same amount of $$$ if we were 0-12 as 12-0, so stop pretending that the revenue stream you keep yakking about is based on success, or which coach we have, because it's not. We get $43 million dollars because we play football in the SEC.  SO DOES VANDY. Every athletic program in the conference uses that TV money to shore up the reality of budgets inside their program.

Do you even know what Title IX is and what is means for university athletic programs? Because the way you talk makes it sound like Carolina football is basically a pro team that can do whatever it wants with whatever money it can lay its hands on, which is pure fantasy.
Hey, be nice! I do believe we're in a conference with other teams who spend more than us on football and mens basketball and a whole lot less than us on womens basketball. Do they not have any discretion in their spending? How's that happen? You seem to be oblivious to that. It seems like our competitors are free to spend whatever they want to get the kinds of coaches they want. Are you saying we can't do that? I wasn't aware of that. Gee whizz. You're so much smarter than me.

Thank you for providing that link, which clearly states that we have 2 - only 2 - profitable sports in our entire athletics program - football and MENS basketball. No surprise, the biggest drain we have on our total revenue of over $140,000,000, is WOMENS BASKETBALL. It is costing us and all other programs a fortune to sustain the nonrevenue sports like WOMENS BASKETBALL due to Title IX. Seems like you'd want to reduce expenses on nonrevenue programs in order to free resources to bolster the big revenue generating programs which pay for all the other sports. Yet we just hugely increased the contract of the coach of a nonrevenue generating sport at a time when our revenue generating sports are hurting. It's nice to have a good women's basketball team IF you can afford it, but it should be considered a luxury item provided by the largesse of successful and profitable revenue generating programs which we do not have at this point in time. To me, that's just plain old common sense, but that kind of thinking has given way to the feeling-based, antilogical, insanely WOKE attitudes that seem to permeate the minds of our top decision makers. 

I'll be kind and not call out anyone for prior ignorant statements that indicate that since we pay for Staley with revenue from one dedicated revenue stream, that we are somehow constrained from allocating spending from other sources to achieve greater success and resulting revenue increases by winning more football and MENS BASKETBALL games and improving the overall reputation and brand of Gamecock sports. That opinion is frankly obtuse, ignoring the reality that our peer competitors aren't spending a ton more than we are on head coaches, coordinators, and staff, in addition to much larger recruiting budgets. We actually need to out spend them in order to play catch up. We need to hire the kinds of coaches and staffs for those sports which are comparable to our most successful competitors. That indicates in a public way that we intend to actually compete for championships and not be the bottom feeders of the SEC.

We need more bold, aggressive, and pragmatic leadership. Can't any of you remember how it was when we were beating the snot out of Clemson five years in a row? It felt GOOD! We were on a roll, but we need unflinching leaders who are 100% committed to getting us back to excellence and keeping us there. I'm just not seeing that kind of commitment anywhere on the horizon and in fact it looks like our trajectory is continuing downward. Already said this, but look up the road to Clemson - do they spend a lot more money than we do on recruiting, staffing, and facilities? Damn right they do. I thought we were supposed to be competing with them! Unfortunately though, they are committed to doing whatever it takes to kick our butts in perpetuity and they know we aren't going to fight back. Aren't you sick and tired of those snotty Clemson fans sneering at us all the time? It sucks.

We squandered an opportunity to replace Muschamp. We really didn't even go out and interview any worthwhile coaches then or when we hired Muschamp. We just settle on whomever is the first person willing to take the job. You can already see that there is no bump in our football recruiting. It's by and large about the same quality that Muschamp was getting. I love Frank Martin and I truly hope he can turn the basketball program around, but face it - enthusiasm for our basketball program is dwindling. If we force Martin out as the rumor mill suggests, what are the chances we would actually go out and hire a better coach than him? It just seems like we Gamecock fans get a whole lot more tricks than treats. It always amazes me that there are fans who would defend the status quo. 
It feels great to watch Dawn Staley dominate the Women’s game. It felt great to see Ray Tanner build an elite program in baseball. I will never forget the feeling of our Gamecocks being at the pinnacle of the sport at those times. In my opinion, paying those coaches were and is well worth it. 

Do you believe the reason we haven’t won a national title in football is because the coach isn’t the highest paid college football coach?

Hey, be nice! I do believe we're in a conference with other teams who spend more than us on football and mens basketball and a whole lot less than us on womens basketball. Do they not have any discretion in their spending? How's that happen? You seem to be oblivious to that. It seems like our competitors are free to spend whatever they want to get the kinds of coaches they want. Are you saying we can't do that? I wasn't aware of that. Gee whizz. You're so much smarter than me.
So you don’t have any numbers to share or refute my point, you just want to keep doing your grumpy old muppet guy in the balcony impersonation? Cool, thanks for the input.

It feels great to watch Dawn Staley dominate the Women’s game. It felt great to see Ray Tanner build an elite program in baseball. I will never forget the feeling of our Gamecocks being at the pinnacle of the sport at those times. In my opinion, paying those coaches were and is well worth it. 

Do you believe the reason we haven’t won a national title in football is because the coach isn’t the highest paid college football coach?
Now let's not go putting words in peoples mouths, ok? But I do believe that the programs who win the most championships by and large spend the most money year to year on their programs. 

So you don’t have any numbers to share or refute my point, you just want to keep doing your grumpy old muppet guy in the balcony impersonation? Cool, thanks for the input.
I think you need a little self awareness, buddy. You're a pretty nasty guy - a lot grumpier than me perhaps. Nevertheless, we're both Gamecock fans and I wish you well despite your hypocrisy. 

And by the way, GregoryHouse provided some very good numbers for us, if you care to take a peek.

I'm sure picknroll will have something else to bitchnmoan about after tonight. 
No, you're wrong. I'm here for my comeuppance and glad to be wrong. I never thought we would win six games and be bowl eligible this season and I am delighted to be dead wrong about that! We played great tonite even after after a terrible start and Beamerball definitely kicked butt! If we beat phlegmson next week I will gladly post my picture to the community dartboard! I want to be wrong about everything I said. I'm still not convinced that I am, though. I truly like Shane Beamer and would be ecstatic if he beats the odds and builds a tremendous program for us. However that's not the same thing as believing it will happen. I'm here because I've been a Gamecock fan my whole life. I just want to win like the rest of you.

You didn't have a point.

No, you're wrong. I'm here for my comeuppance and glad to be wrong. I never thought we would win six games and be bowl eligible this season and I am delighted to be dead wrong about that! We played great tonite even after after a terrible start and Beamerball definitely kicked butt! If we beat phlegmson next week I will gladly post my picture to the community dartboard! I want to be wrong about everything I said. I'm still not convinced that I am, though. I truly like Shane Beamer and would be ecstatic if he beats the odds and builds a tremendous program for us. However that's not the same thing as believing it will happen. I'm here because I've been a Gamecock fan my whole life. I just want to win like the rest of you.
I'm glad you are enjoying the win. Only time will tell what's in store for beamer and our team. 

I'm happy to put this thread behind both of us and move on.

Last edited by a moderator: