Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What should our response be if Russia invades Ukraine?

Did NATO have "military exercises" around the Russian border leading up to the invasion? I
Where?
As far as Wikipedia....you did read that the Russian build up started March last year, right? Not in 2014, right?

Where?
As far as Wikipedia....you did read that the Russian build up started March last year, right? Not in 2014, right?
Russia invaded Ukraine in 2014, they didn't build up a military presence 🙄

The troops were partially withdrawn by June 2021,[47] though the infrastructure was left in place. A second build-up began in October 2021, this time with greater numbers of soldiers and with deployments on new fronts; by December over 100,000 Russian troops were massed around Ukraine on three sides.[48] Despite the Russian military build-ups, Russian officials from November 2021 to 20 February 2022 repeatedly denied that Russia had plans to invade Ukraine.[49][50]
This led to the installation of the pro-Russian Sergey Aksyonov government in Crimea, the conducting of the Crimean status referendum and the declaration of Crimea's independence on 16 March 2014.[44][45] Russia formally incorporated Crimea as two Russian federal subjects—the Republic of Crimea and the federal city of Sevastopol on 18 March 2014.[46][47][note 2] Following the annexation, Russia escalated military presence on the peninsula and leveraged nuclear threats to solidify the new status quo on the ground.[49]

Where?
As far as Wikipedia....you did read that the Russian build up started March last year, right? Not in

Ihttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annexation_of_Crimea_by_the_Russian_Federation

18 March 2014.[46][47][note 2] Following the annexation, Russia escalated military presence on the peninsula and leveraged nuclear threats to solidify the new status quo on the ground.[49]

Defender Europe 2021 is a multinational military exercise
And it was on the border with Russia as you say?
Ihttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annexation_of_Crimea_by_the_Russian_Federation

18 March 2014.[46][47][note 2] Following the annexation, Russia escalated military presence on the peninsula and leveraged nuclear threats to solidify the new status quo on the ground.[49]
You are aware of the location of Crimea? And the location of the border between Ukraine and Russia?
And that the build up of Russian forces on the border with Ukraine was inside Russia and not the Crimea?

And it was on the border with Russia as you say?

You are aware of the location of Crimea? And the location of the border between Ukraine and Russia?
And that the build up of Russian forces on the border with Ukraine was inside Russia and not the Crimea?
You tell me what you think they mean when they say peninsula but it clearly shows they have been amassing troops along this border long before the date you mention. The NATO military exercises were across 12 nations to include Poland, Germany, Romania and Ukraine, ask the military experts or look it up if you don't understand what these exercises are about... I will tell you that I have been to Germany, Romania and Poland to construct items used in these exercises.
Do you think the president of Ukraine is a diplomatic leader? He is being hailed a hero around the world, curious if you know much about him? Is he a man of the people, has he oppressed other political parties or advisories? Would you consider him a corrupt leader?

The Ukranian attacks have expanded to the Russian Navy now.

This conflict continues to remind of The Battle of Britain in many ways.

The Ukranian attacks have expanded to the Russian Navy now.
That was huge...but no one seems to know how they did it. :unsure:
I suspect some kind of drone related strike.
I hope this deters the Russians from trying to storm Odessa.

That was huge...but no one seems to know how they did it. :unsure:
I suspect some kind of drone related strike.
I hope this deters the Russians from trying to storm Odessa.
The Russians are paying a heavy price for this illegal invasion. As I said earlier they don't care about losing people but they do care about losing equipment and they are losing massive amounts of equipment in addition to this ship.

The Russians are paying a heavy price for this illegal invasion. As I said earlier they don't care about losing people but they do care about losing equipment and they are losing massive amounts of equipment in addition to this ship.
As well as using up most of their stockpiles of guided missiles, etc.
With their economy taking a hit....where are they going to get the $$ to replace all of these losses?
Incredibly stupid.....Putin comes out of this as a weak kitten and not the lion he hoped to become.

One of the greatest military-political debacles of our lifetimes.

So much for the vaunted Russian military

"The saying always was that Russia has a large, modern army. We discovered that the modern part isn't very large and the large part isn't very modern. And the large part is increasingly getting smaller," Crump said.

So much for the vaunted Russian military

"The saying always was that Russia has a large, modern army. We discovered that the modern part isn't very large and the large part isn't very modern. And the large part is increasingly getting smaller," Crump said.
Those cages appear to be similar to torpedo blisters that were added to WW1- and WW2-era ships back in those days.

The torpedo blisters were essentially an outer skin with empty space between the outer blister steel plates and the actual hull of the warship. The blisters were strong enough to detonate the torpedo with the idea being the blister and the empty space would absorb most of the blast energy with minimal damage to the actual warship hull itself.

This is a picture of the torpedo blisters on the HMS Royal Oak when she was in drydock.

0v9w1vghblh01.jpg

You can clearly see how the torpedo blisters poke out. They also added drag to the hull as well.

During the Pearl Harbor attack, the USS Nevada took a torpedo hit at the torpedo blister on its left (port) side, but her hull plating was also damaged severely enough to cause flooding that forced the Nevada's captain to beach the ship on Ford Island in the middle of the harbor instead of making it's intended run to open ocean.

The old Imperial Japanese Navy worked around the Washington Naval Treaty warship tonnage limitations by developing a more reliable and explosive torpedo that became known as the Long Lance. The Pacific War went on for almost two years before our Navy realized the Japanese Navy had the Long Lance.

Undoubtedly it was a Long Lance torpedo that hit the Nevada and defeated the torpedo blister. So, in the context of your post, the Javelin and NLAW anti-tank missiles in the ground war world have the same effect that the Japanese Long Lance torpedo had in WW2 naval warfare.

Excellent post, Yancey.

As many as 40,000 Russian troops have been killed, wounded, taken prisoner, or are missing, with estimates the country has already lost one-fifth of its combat forces during the first month of its invasion, a senior NATO military official told the Wall Street Journal earlier this week.

I believe that this has been the trend of all smaller conflicts before this one and I don't think there will be one clear winner this time, either.

The sad thing is the Ukrainians are the better warfighters between the two countries right now and would make a great ace up the sleeve of Putin if he were not trying to kill all of them.

There needs to be a DMZ between Russia/Belarus and Ukraine/Poland to prevent reprisals from either side once a negotiated peace is obtained.