Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What should our response be if Russia invades Ukraine?

I know this is a very serious, but all this talk made me think of the Seinfeld episode where they play Risk.  If Russia does invade, I don't see us taking military action.  Not sure what we would do beyond sanctions.

A big part of my pre-military training routine back in the day. Every spare quarter I had.

Everybody knew where the missiles were coming from back then.  Nothing has changed.

Don't back down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ukraine's surrounding NATO neighbors would most likely be next if Putin is allowed to take Ukraine.
I think a unified defense of an attack of a NATO partner is a far different kettle of fish than a potential reabsorption of a former SSR.

"Citing a 'continued threat of Russian military action,' the U.S. State Department ordered eligible family members of personnel at its embassy in Kyiv to leave the country.

It also authorized the voluntary departure U.S. direct hire employees.

'U.S. citizens in Ukraine should consider departing now using commercial or other privately available transportation options,' the State Department said.

Russia currently has more than 100,000 troops stationed near the Ukrainian border, sparking fears of an imminent invasion."

https://www.npr.org/2022/01/23/1075224256/ukraine-russia-border-us-embassy

Will there be armed conflict between us and Russia in the coming months?  Do you think Putin will finally cross the line with NATO although Ukraine technically is not a member of NATO?

IMHO NATO should respond in defending Ukraine if they formally ask for it.  History has shown us in example after example that appeasement doesn't work.  In fact it invites further incursions.

chamberlainneville.jpg

Putin always does something like this because his power is being threatened in some way.

People in Great Britain want to kick Boris Johnson out of office because of the BYOB gathering that violated Johnson's own draconian lock-down measures.

According to the WHO, roughly 325K people in Russia have died from Covid.

Is this a "hey, you guys still need me" move by Putin in the face of resentment by the Russian people over Covid deaths/lock-down measures?

I guess it depends if we are talking about a "minor incursion".  Just a joke sorry too good to pass up.   The movement of Nato toward Russia is what they are saying is their reasoning.  They do not want Ukraine to become a member of NATO.  

I guess it depends if we are talking about a "minor incursion".  Just a joke sorry too good to pass up.   The movement of Nato toward Russia is what they are saying is their reasoning.  They do not want Ukraine to become a member of NATO.  
Yeah, I think the situation over there is both simple and kinda murky at the same time.  I can't understand why any superpower would want to be responsible for another nation's internal problems with everything that's going on in the world due to Covid right now.

Is there oil in Ukraine, too?

Yeah, I think the situation over there is both simple and kinda murky at the same time.  I can't understand why any superpower would want to be responsible for another nation's internal problems with everything that's going on in the world due to Covid right now.

Is there oil in Ukraine, too?
I heard they want to install a puppet regime that answers to the Kremlin, instead of growing ties with NATO. But who knows hat is going on in Putin's head. 

How about we mind our own business?  Pull all troops back home from other countries, stop giving ANY countries ANY money, and if anyone bothers us, turn their country into a parking lot.  

How about we mind our own business?  Pull all troops back home from other countries, stop giving ANY countries ANY money, and if anyone bothers us, turn their country into a parking lot.  
I could get on board with that.

Several news sources reporting that Russian artillery is shelling Ukrainian front line border positions this morning.

Putin is playing chess to everyone else's checkers. They have strong ties with China and Germany so any sanctions will do very little. Best to stay out of it.

Putin has ordered forces into eastern Ukraine.

If we get involved, I can only hope it is a "win with overwhelming force" doctrine as was the case during Desert Storm.

Quick, brutal and decisive. Anything else will be messy and stupid.

Some local C-store people are predicting gas to be at $4/gallon by the end of the month.

The concern for me is Putin would get bolder if he takes all of Ukraine and nobody does anything.

Having said all of the above, I was really hoping for a stalemate, but I guess that won't be a possibility now.

Putin has ordered forces into eastern Ukraine.

If we get involved, I can only hope it is a "win with overwhelming force" doctrine as was the case during Desert Storm.

Quick, brutal and decisive. Anything else will be messy and stupid.

Some local C-store people are predicting gas to be at $4/gallon by the end of the month.

The concern for me is Putin would get bolder if he takes all of Ukraine and nobody does anything.

Having said all of the above, I was really hoping for a stalemate, but I guess that won't be a possibility now.

Yeah it's amazing.

We (Hitler speaking) only want the port area of Danzig returned to Germany because many of the people there are German speaking.

The World: Oh OK.

We (Hitler speaking) only want the Sudetenland area of Czechoslovakia returned to Germany because many of the people living there are German speaking.

We (Hitler speaking) only want the rest of Czechoslovakia under German control because many of the people living there are German speaking.

We (Hitler speaking) only want Austria annexed with Germany because many of the people living there are German speaking.

(we all know how this turned out)

Fast forward 80 years:

We (Putin speaking) only want the Crimea area of Ukraine returned because many of the people living there speak Russian.

The World: Oh, OK.

We (Putin speaking) only want parts of Eastern Ukraine returned because many of the people living there speak Russian.

The World: Oh, OK.

Gee, I wonder how this current story ends?
confused.png

Attachments

• chamberlainneville.jpg
    chamberlainneville.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 0
Germany had the best tanks in the latter stages of WW2, but they got parked many times because of a lack of fuel and subsequently destroyed.

Putin's forces would be impacted in the same way if enough of Russia's oil resources are destroyed.

Let the Russians advance into the Ukraine and then take out the bridges and supply lines to cut them off.

Then defeat them and make them POWs to be used for bargaining chips if needed. Hopefully, Putin gets overthrown at some point along the way.

The best Marvel movies involved S.H.I.E.L.D. vs Hydra and I personally thought it was mistake to get away from that formula.

Well it has started.

The main difference between Russian an Iraq in 1991. Russia has nuclear ICBMs that can hit pretty much any US city in about 30 minutes. I'm not sure a direct war with US or NATO troops going against Russia is on the table because of that. I can see supplying weapons, intetelligence, training, etc. to Ukraine. But I doubt we see US troops or airpower directly involved.