Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What should our response be if Russia invades Ukraine?

Gee, I wonder how this current story ends?
confused.png
It ends with NATO.

I'm not sure a direct war with US or NATO troops going against Russia is on the table because of that.
If Russia invades a NATO nation, NATO is forced to act....and will be ready. Nucs are irrelvant....Putin knows he can't go there.

Expect to see a large build up of NATO forces in the next 3-6 months.

If Russia invades a NATO nation, NATO is forced to act....and will be ready. Nucs are irrelvant....Putin knows he can't go there.

Expect to see a large build up of NATO forces in the next 3-6 months.
Ukraine is not in NATO.

I think at this point sanctions will be the only action taken unless Russia decides to go beyond Ukraine. Just another annexation for them at this point.

Ukraine is not in NATO.
Neither are Belarus or Moldova....but they are next to NATO members.
This is likely a 2nd cold war.
We have already increased some our forces in NATO border states.
We've had air and land based assets rotating in and out of those border states for years.

I think that Putin is off his nut. He has been conducting nuclear war games the last month too. He will not stop with Ukraine. At this point I think that war is inevitable and that it is a tossup as to whether it goes full atomic destruction. Our best hope is that the CIA or rational Russians in his inner circle can take him out.

I see where Russian forces have captured the Chernobyl reactor.

The Chernobyl disaster was probably the only thing before now that Ukraine was famous for until now.

For now....Ukrainians holding their own.
If you don't have air superiority, you have big problems.

Russia has failed to dominate Ukrainian air space, the official said. Ukraine continues to fly warplanes that are attacking Russian forces. Ukraine also retains missiles for air defense.

They will take it, but it sounds as if the Russian people are not all on board with Putin's decisions. It will be interesting to see how long this thing drags out and if he faces political backlash within his own country that makes him back down. Putin has designs on putting the USSR back together, I am not sure his countrymen share the same vision. The Ukranians are tough and fighters and not scared, but they will be overwhelmed at some point.

This current operation by Putin is similar in some ways to what led to Operation Desert Storm, but not in others.

"Background of Operation Desert Storm
Before understanding the events of Desert Storm it is important to understand the events that led to the invasion of Kuwait by Iraq leading to the Gulf War of 1991.

Iraq on the other hand was facing economic hardship following a war with Iran years earlier. To fund its sinking economy, Iraq had borrowed millions of dollars worth in loans from Kuwait and Saudi Arabia. When Iraq could not pay back these loans, Saddam Hussein requested that the loans be forgiven. It was refused by both the countries.

To further exacerbate matters, Kuwait in 1990 was producing and exporting more oil than the other members of OPEC. By June of 1990 the price/barrel had plunged to 17 US Dollars costing Iraq billions in oil revenue. At the same time Iraq also accused Kuwait of illegally drilling into their territory and stealing some of the oil, a charge denied by the Kuwaiti government. This alleged theft of oil would be one of the primary reasons for Iraq to launch its invasion of Kuwait.

Another casus belli was when Saddam Hussein invoked traditional territorial claims regarding Kuwait, citing that it was a by-product of British imperialism.

With these grievances it was obvious that war was coming to Kuwait. Saddam mobilised his army and launched a surprise attack on 2 August 1990, his army swiftly overran Kuwaiti defences, ending the invasion in merely 12 hours. At the end of the invasion, Saddam declared Kuwait as the 19th province of Iraq.

International response to this invasion was swift. Kuwait and US delegations requested a meeting of the UN Security Council, which passed Resolution 660, condemning the invasion and demanding a withdrawal of Iraqi troops.

Soon a coalition was formed from many NATO countries as well as from Arab countries such as Saudi Arabia and Egypt. The coalition troops massed on the Saudi-Iraqi border while the Iraqi forces dug in as a static line. Their objective was to prolong the conflict similar to that of the Vietnam War where public opinion had forced a US withdrawal.

However the Iraqi leadership had severely underestimated the technological capabilities of the coalition which would be a costly mistake. When the deadline to withdraw from Kuwait passed, the time had come to launch Operation Desert Storm."

https://byjus.com/free-ias-prep/operation-desert-storm/

Unfortunately there is only one solution now as back then:

the-us-launched-operation-desert-storm-25-years-ago-and-now-iraq-is-screwed-1452975322.jpg

Tanks can't move without fuel. Starving men cut off from their supply lines become very weakened and lose the will to fight, so most of them surrender if given enough time.

The same strategy would work in this scenario as well.

Last edited:
I
You do any fact checking? Kosovo? Afghanistan? Iraq? Libya? Ring any bells?
I'm a student of history. NATO isn't going to do anything in Ukraine aside from sending in some aid here and there and they may not even do that if it upsets Putin too much. The countries you referenced aren't Russia.

Maik Kotsar is from Estonia, which is the northernmost of the adjacent non-Russian states near St. Petersburg on the Baltic Sea.

Latvia separates Estonia and Lithuania, where Laimonas and Mindaugas are from, to the south.

I believe Laimonas married an American girl he met at Carolina as well.

I started going to the home games in the 2013-14 season when these guys came into the program and we all watched them grow up over the years. It's hard for me to think about them being under Putin's thumb and being affected by any violence and bloodshed from his later moves after the Ukraine.

So there is no middle ground for me. There needs to be a coalition of the willing to stop Putin's BS and protect the innocent from it.

I

I'm a student of history. NATO isn't going to do anything in Ukraine aside from sending in some aid here and there and they may not even do that if it upsets Putin too much. The countries you referenced aren't Russia.
No one on this forum implied NATO was going into Ukraine.

NATO has already activated its "Response Force"....yet you say NATO is going to do nothing.

Let me make sure you understand....if Russia attempts to cross over into Poland or other NATO countries, NATO will light them up. Sh_t gets real.

And we may find Putin has bit off more than he can chew if a long insurgency happens in Ukraine.

People who are not afraid to stand up to tyranny need to do the right thing and protect these guys and their families from Putin's BS.

9209353.jpeg

There is no middle ground for me. Period. End of statement.