Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What should our response be if Russia invades Ukraine?

The way to end it is for Ukraine to win. People in Europe who see this first hand get it.
I am not confident they can at this point meanwhile more people including Ukranians die and we continue to spend huge piles of money we don't have. Russia has to know at this point they will be in this conflict for decades and may take a way out if someone at least tried to broker an agreement. I don't understand the absence of any type of diplomacy at this point. Maybe it is going on behind the scenes. Took Europe long enough to help, but as normal we are footing the majority of the financial burden.

Wagner is going to attack from Belarus and head towards Kiev again. Ukraine will have to pull resources back to protect Kiev and their surge will be stopped.
That area is heavily defended with fortifications. Wagner does not have the resources for that & they know it. They only eventually took Bakhmut because they used so many inmates in their assaults. They are not cut off from that resource.

I am not confident they can at this point meanwhile more people including Ukranians die and we continue to spend huge piles of money we don't have. Russia has to know at this point they will be in this conflict for decades and may take a way out if someone at least tried to broker an agreement. I don't understand the absence of any type of diplomacy at this point. Maybe it is going on behind the scenes. Took Europe long enough to help, but as normal we are footing the majority of the financial burden.
Russia cannot be trusted with any agreement. That is off the table. They have broken just about every agreement they've made, so there is no hope of any agreement.
And even if they try that trick, the Ukrainians are not going to stop fighting them until they leave. This is what the west/NATO clearly understands.
The only thing Russia understands is force. :mad:

In the mean time, the Ukrainian armed forces (UAF/ZSU) continue to chip away at those miles of trenches & minefields. At some point, there will be a break through.
The Wagner PMC thing does seem to have an effect on Russian morale. But minefields don't have morale.

I just think this whole thing sounds way too fishy. They have fought like crazy for Bakhmut. Now Ukraine launches a counter-offensive and all of the sudden Prigozhin and 25,000 of his Wagner fighters have left there and were headed to Moscow.
Then, they just stop and give up their rebellion. Now they are setting up in Belarus and supposedly Putin allowed that.

I'm thinking maybe Ukraine was making up a lot of ground near Bakhmut so they just high tailed it.
Now Putin has a reason for loosing ground. It will because the Wagner group gave it up. It is not because his Russian troops were just getting beat. Looking at the Map, https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60506682, Ukraine has taken back a bunch of land.

I think in a few days when Ukraine is taking more land, like a Surge, Putin and Prigozhin are going to make up and Wagner is going to attack from Belarus and head towards Kiev again. Ukraine will have to pull resources back to protect Kiev and their surge will be stopped.
Interesting take...and very possible.

I was reading that because the U.S. stockpile of munitions is low, we may agree to send Ukraine cluster bombs.

The prevailing winds blow easterly most of the time in that part of the world.

There would have to be bans on imports from Russia if there was a major nuclear incident from concerns about irradiated goods from nuclear contamination. It would be the end of the Russian economy as we know it.

The prevailing winds blow easterly most of the time in that part of the world.
Yep...cause radioactive fallout to spread all over the Russians' precious Donbas region that they've claimed to be Russian from years back.
Another deliberate act of environmental terror, but much worse than blowing a major dam.

A lot of the comments below the article suggest the thing with Prigozin was a clever ploy by Putin to flush the Russian generals that sought to overthrow him.

Who knows? Everything seems like Bad Russian Theatre at this point.

A lot of the comments below the article suggest the thing with Prigozin was a clever ploy by Putin to flush the Russian generals that sought to overthrow him.

Who knows? Everything seems like Bad Russian Theatre at this point.
Hard to get a good read on exactly what is going on over there. Like a modern day Game of Thrones.

I have read a few comments on Twitter that suggest some kind of culminating point for both sides sometime in '23.
This basically means both sides run out of the forces/material to fight offensively, which leads to a stalemate.
The Russians keep pouring forces into the fight, which the Ukrainians cannot match in the long run. If the UAF/ZSU had a air force, things might be different and that might still change.

Assuming this is how it all ends, Russia will still be left with some kind of twisted end where they have successfully done the following:
  • Created a new cold war with the west with an expanded NATO that likely will eventually include Ukraine.
  • Damaged their own economy by western sanctions.
  • If they somehow continue to occupy parts of the Donbas, many of these areas are completely destroyed and may be a greater liability than asset.
  • Opened the door for an unprecented influx of Russians giving state secrets to the west.
  • Putin will continue to be wanted on war crimes and travel outside of Russia will be limited.
I'm sure there's more, but there's no way this whole "special military operation" does not go down as an epic war blunder that senselessly has cost thousands of lives.

Seems Putin and Prigozhin are talking again. With the Wagner forces up there in Belarus, maybe my thoughts are right about them trying to take Kyiv again.. I know I saw where Ukraine was increasing the northern defenses.

I wonder if those cluster shells will make a difference in the Counter-offensive.
I guess Russia made some smart moves. Last year it seemed Ukraine was taking back land a lot quicker.

I just don't see any of this ending anytime soon.

What do you think is going to happen with that nuclear power plant? I think Russia is going to destroy it and they want a radioactive mess to happen when they do.

Either a nuclear missile attack or nuclear reactor incident are both possible whether Ukraine receives aid or not.

A enforced NATO no-fly zone would stop the bloodshed in many ways. The key word being "enforced".