Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's the deal with Shane Beamer?

If you miss the intensity and enthusiasm of Shaun Elliott you can expect Beamer to bring some of that.

During a touchdown celebration at OU Shane headbutted one of his helmeted tight ends so hard that he required sideline stitches during the game.

I could be wrong however after watching multiple interviews with Napier it doesn't seem like he's that type of guy. As I said, I could be wrong.

Also, personality doesn't win games.

During a touchdown celebration at OU Shane headbutted one of his helmeted tight ends so hard that he required sideline stitches during the game.
Damn dude! We don't need any more injuries!

Thanks for the info...but...none of this even sort of changes my mind about why we would want Shane Beamer as our head coach.

Other than once working here...Billy Napier is all of this only with a wildly better resume and proven success as a head coach...who also wants this job...and has made it clear for a couple years now. 

And no offense...but I haven't been able to find a single word/link or indication that 'former players'...especially the ones listed...want him to be the new head coach at SC...not that it would matter to me. 

Thanks again...but when even this post lists he grew up in SC and we know his father are listed as 'pros vs cons'...I still don't get it. 
LBC, I had not heard that Napier has shown interest in the job before. I’m not disputing, I was curious as to what he has said. 

LBC, I had not heard that Napier has shown interest in the job before. I’m not disputing, I was curious as to what he has said. 
"According to our sources, Napier – a former Clemson offensive coordinator and the current head coach at Louisiana-Lafayette – is not just a coveted coaching target this season (with a much smaller buyout than Freeze), but has reportedly made it clear he wants the South Carolina job."

"In fact, sources close to the 41-year-old coach (above) are said to have contacted South Carolina officials following the Gamecocks’ season-opening loss to Tennessee to make sure the school was aware of his interest."

BILLY NAPIER

Current spot: Head coach, Louisiana

Why: He’s labeled USC “his dream job” more than once, sources say, and it’s a natural fit. He played at Furman and was an assistant coach at S.C. State and Clemson. He served two stints at Alabama, one at Colorado State and one at Arizona State before becoming a head coach, where he’s won three straight division championships. A revenge scenario as Dabo Swinney fired him at Clemson.

I'll look for more links...they are out there. I have read/heard that his people have made clear he would be interested since last year when Muschamp really started to feel the heat. There are more links...some may even be radio shows/etc. where people are talking about it. I'll share when I can.

Last edited by a moderator:
"According to our sources, Napier – a former Clemson offensive coordinator and the current head coach at Louisiana-Lafayette – is not just a coveted coaching target this season (with a much smaller buyout than Freeze), but has reportedly made it clear he wants the South Carolina job."

"In fact, sources close to the 41-year-old coach (above) are said to have contacted South Carolina officials following the Gamecocks’ season-opening loss to Tennessee to make sure the school was aware of his interest."

BILLY NAPIER

Why: He’s labeled USC “his dream job” more than once, sources say, and it’s a natural fit. He played at Furman and was an assistant coach at S.C. State and Clemson. He served two stints at Alabama, one at Colorado State and one at Arizona State before becoming a head coach, where he’s won three straight division championships. A revenge scenario as Dabo Swinney fired him at Clemson.

I'll look for more links...they are out there. I have read/heard that his people have made clear he would be interested since last year when Muschamp really started to feel the heat. There are more links...some may even be radio shows/etc. where people are talking about it. I'll share when I can.
Wonder if he would leave early to come to his dream job.  At least accept the position early.  

Wonder if he would leave early to come to his dream job.  At least accept the position early.  
My guess is yes. There is really nothing to hold on to at Louisiana. They aren't making the playoff, so the post season is just another bowl game. 

I certainly don't want him to walk out on his kids before the end of the season but their last regular season game is Dec 4th against App State...I think early signing date is like the 16th or something like that...I also believe the Sunbelt Championship game is the 19th...which I guess is against either Coastal or App State depending on how these next three weeks shake out...the Cajuns have already clinched their spot in the champioship...in other words...I have no idea

Agree.  I was more hoping he may accept earlier, but coach his team on out.  I think this would help with holding onto what we have and for next year's class.  

Agree.  I was more hoping he may accept earlier, but coach his team on out.  I think this would help with holding onto what we have and for next year's class.  
Yep...if he comes here, he needs to finish with the Sunbelt Championship game. 

BILLY NAPIER

Thanks!

Even though I realize my opinion is simply that...just my opinion...and I don't want to appear to be dogging Shane Beamer for any reason...he is by all accounts a good guy, great recruiter and fine football coach...but after really looking at their collective resumes there is quite simply no way anyone could argue Beamer is more qualified or a better coach than Napier...no way. I'm not going to go through every stat and detail but some things are just not debatable. 

Yes, both are coaches sons...their fathers were legends...I know everyone knows Frank but Bill Napier was such a High School coaching legend that when he was stricken with ALS a video was made to honor his life and career and to help raise money for ALS...not only was it filled with current and former players but people like Nick Saban, Dabo Swinney, Vince Dooley, Watson Brown, Peyton Manning, multiple players he has coached and sent onto college and into the NFL, etc. showed up to honor Coach Napier.

Yes both played the game...Shane ended up a long snapper at VT and Billy Napier was a four year lettermen and two time all conference QB at Furman...neither of these two things makes one a great coach but being the son of a coach and playing the game sure helps...but neither would mean one was the better more accomplished coach now. 

I could now walk through all sorts of numbers and stats and coaching stops and coaches each worked for and under but not only would that take far to much time it would also only be building towards the final facts of the matter. We know both are great recruiters and again both have coached for/with/under some great coaches and programs...Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, VT, Oklahoma, etc...Saban, Dabo, Spurrier, etc. 

But the fact remains...Napier has been...among other things...the Offensive coordinator and QB coach at multiple stops at the highest level of the sport...BTW...when he was the single youngest coordinator...offensive or defensive...in the country and Clemson history...at 29...he was directly responsible for setting the Clemson all-time scoring record up until that point.

He has now been...not only...the head coach at a Sunbelt Conference team he has in the top 25 for the second year in a row...out of three years as the head coach...but he also calls the plays and coaches the QBs...like Spurrier did...while running the entire show as its head coach...in his second year at UL-La his offense broke every single offensive record they keep...including points in a season and yards in a season...had his team/offense ranked in the top 20 nationally in total offense, rushing offense, scoring offense AND scoring defense. Three straight conference division titles...back to back top 25 national rankings...at UL-La...etc. etc,...vs...Shane Beamer who has NEVER called a single play as a coordinator ever...at any level...for any team.

Sorry to ramble...and prove I am putting far to much thought into a process I have nothing to do with...but...I believe Billy Napier could be our guy for the next decade or more and that he is without question the most qualified with the best resume and the best man in general for the job. There is no baggage here...just upside.

Last edited by a moderator:
Napier is from Tennessee - anyone know the last former QB from Tennessee that coached at South Carolina?

He played HS ball for his dad in Georgia - anyone know the last Georgia QB who was a coach's son that played for South Carolina?

I doubt if he learned much from Dabs - both he and Dabs were just starting out then anyway. But he was at Alabama for long enough to learn something,

Plus you have the motivation factor of getting revenge on Dabs, and he wants to be here. Chadwell is my first pick, but I am okay with Napier also.
Steve Spurrier and Connor Shaw

Kimrey and Brewer seemed to like him on the latest episode of the Fade In.

Shane Beamer is to Steve Spurrier as Holly Warlick is to Pat Summit.  Beamer would be our Holly Warlick.

I've read all these posts and it sounds like it's going to be Napier or Beamer. I like both but the fact that Beamer does not have head coaching experience does bother me. Two things are very clear though. We're not going to get a marque name and we've got to get this right this time. I'm old enough to remember the Jim Carlen  period where we won eight games for the first time in history, the Joe Morrison years where we actually had a shot at going undefeated and of course the Spurrier years where we won the SEC East.  We have got to at least be respectable again. I'm so tired of only hearing about Florida, Georgia and Tennessee when I watch shows on the SEC Network.

Shane Beamer is to Steve Spurrier as Holly Warlick is to Pat Summit.  Beamer would be our Holly Warlick.
I know this is supposed to be a slight against Warlick, but given the state of the program the last few years I would absolutely take a Warlick level of success. She won right at 70% for conference games. While here Spurrier won 52% and Muschamp won 43% in conference games. If the next coach can win 70% against the SEC, I think we would all be happy for a while. If the next coach hits a plateau and can't win quite as much as we'd like, the program would be in a much better state than it is now.

Totally different situation. UT was second only to UConn among women's programs, and Warlick got loads of talent. She was just a bad coach that set their program back ears.

To put it mildly, South Carolina football was not on par with UT's women basketball when Warlick took over.
Of course it's a different situation, but given where we are you'd be an f'ing idiot to turn down winning 70% of our SEC games.

I don't think she was a bad coach, she was just never going to live up to Summitt's legacy.

Shane could be the next Saban for all we know. But if we have a chance to get someone proven, then Shane would be a 2nd choice.