Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corona virus, the non-asshole thread

We are supposed to be going to Raleigh this weekend to visit some friends for the holiday weekend...their daughter is now sick (sounds like flu as opposed to COVID) and can not find anywhere that can test her for either COVID or the flu so of course we are now staying put...even in my little neck of the woods one can walk into most pharmacies and be tested (either Rapid or PCR) without a wait...how is testing in everyone's neck of the woods?  Do the local pediatricians test for COVID in your area?  Spur's Addiction...have any ideas on the Raleigh front?  
Raleigh is slammed right now. Cases, testing, schools. You don't want to come here right now. 

1 South Carolina

• New cases in the last seven days: 330 cases per 100,000 people
  • Percent increase in the last seven days: 287 percent

South Carolina broke its single-day case record when it reported 16,630 new infections on Jan. 6, breaking the previous record set just two days earlier of 13,320. The latest report nearly doubles the last single-day high reported on Dec. 30 of 8,800, showing a rapid spread of the virus in the state.

These 8 States Are Seeing the Worst COVID Surges Right Now (msn.com)

Last edited by a moderator:
Was reading this morning where they think it may have peaked in Britain.  Let’s hope so we are normally right behind them.  They also feel the cases will drop dramatically once we hit that peak.  We will know in about a week how things will shake out and if we follow how things went in South Africa

Was reading this morning where they think it may have peaked in Britain.  Let’s hope so we are normally right behind them.  They also feel the cases will drop dramatically once we hit that peak.  We will know in about a week how things will shake out and if we follow how things went in South Africa
Let's hope. So many people I know have come down with this right now. 

Let's hope. So many people I know have come down with this right now. 
Yep me as well.  I think I know more people with it than I do without.  The articles I read said that in areas where they see a drop they believe it is actually because it has infected most of the people it is going to infect.  It is interesting that Britain decided not to be as restrictive this time and may see it end more quickly than places that are more restrictive.  Obviously the numbers will bear out whether this is true or not as we look back several months from now.  

Friendly PSA hospitals are running out of blood... If you can donate, please do. Share the word with your friends and family. 

It would really suck watching someone die because your hospital doesn't have enough blood to treat them. (Have heard of this happening on multiple nursing groups)

Friendly PSA hospitals are running out of blood... If you can donate, please do. Share the word with your friends and family. 

It would really suck watching someone die because your hospital doesn't have enough blood to treat them. (Have heard of this happening on multiple nursing groups)
donated last week

Very good article.  Thank you for posting.  I think our focus is beginning to shift from infection rate to severity especially with the proliferation of omicron infections.  

This article also shows some encouraging statistics as it pertains to the severity of omicron.  

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/12/covid-omicron-less-severe-hospital-stays-shorter-at-large-california-health-system.html

The authors of said study:

MV5BZmE5ZGJiYzMtZjkwZi00ZjFjLWEwNWItMWNlZDRiMDJmOTJiXkEyXkFqcGdeQVRoaXJkUGFydHlJbmdlc3Rpb25Xb3JrZmxvdw@@._V1_.jpg

LOL

Current stats in SC:

Acute Hospital Bed Occupancy 
As of 11:59 PM on 1/12/2022

• 8,266 acute beds are currently being utilized, 1.3% higher than what was seen one week ago.
  • Acute hospitals are at 83.9% occupancy, 0.6% higher than what was seen one week ago 
  • 2,045 COVID-19 positive individuals are hospitalized, 40.1% higher than what was seen one week ago.
  • 178 COVID-19 positive individuals are ventilated, 38.0% higher than what was seen one week ago.
  • 359 COVID-19 positive  individuals are in the ICU, 30.5% higher than what was seen one week ago.
  • 356 new Confirmed COVID-19 admissions reported, 27.1% higher than what was seen one week ago.
  • 27 Hospitals are expecting staff shortage within the week, 12.5% higher than what was seen one week ago.

My daughter's middle school just announced they are going virtual starting tomorrow. 30% of the staff is out, and a bunch of students....

Lol my daughters 8th grade band has special masks that were made for the mouth piece for instruments. She plays the French horn and there is a “fly” for the mouthpiece

going today!  Thanks for the PSA!