Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corona virus, the non-asshole thread

The CDC is getting killed with memes by healthcare workers. 

Glad we are the only ones who now get shorter quarantine time after positive tests (subject to staffing of course, if the hospital declares it's in crisis, NO, yet, No time, come in to work regardless of your symptoms.), no need to quarantine after known exposure. 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/mitigating-staff-shortages.html

This is not how the government should keep a hospital staffed. 
Yeah that is a head scratcher.

I expect a huge spike this week as all of the college kids have to get tested to return to school.  I am sure many have it and are asymptomatic, but it will drive the numbers up.  

I expect a huge spike this week as all of the college kids have to get tested to return to school.  I am sure many have it and are asymptomatic, but it will drive the numbers up.  
I noticed a huge line of cars lined-up at the local HS here the other evening as I went to get dinner.  This was at 6:30 pm.

It looked like a crowd for a football game, so I asked around the restaurant what was going on and someone told me the kids had to be tested before returning from the holiday break.

Here in SC the number of cases are spiking to their highest point since the pandemic began while the number of deaths continue to trend much lower.

Maryland has way more hospitalizations then ever before. Schools just gave off Monday and Tuesday for virtual school planning…

Cases continue to skyrocket in the United States with a 226% increase in the past 14 days. The Northeast continues to be the case leader: Rhode Island has a whooping 413 daily cases per 100,000, followed by New York (369 per 100K), New Jersey (351 per 100K), and Massachusetts (289 per 100K).

But the South, Midwest, and West are closely following behind now. The South is accelerating the fastest with Mississippi as the case growth leader (+702%), followed by South Carolina (+652%), Texas (+614%), and Louisiana (+546%),

On a national level, hospitalizations continue to rise and, in the past two weeks, increased 78%. Yesterday we broke the pandemic record with 135,292 hospitalizations (surpassing the previous peak of 132,474 hospitalizations on Jan 6, 2021).

Deaths are increasing modestly at +12% over the past two weeks, but this is always the last indicator to increase. So I’m afraid we will have more deaths from this vaccine-preventable disease. On average, 1,524 people are dying each day.

State of Affairs: Jan 10 - Your Local Epidemiologist (substack.com)

Cases continue to skyrocket in the United States with a 226% increase in the past 14 days. The Northeast continues to be the case leader: Rhode Island has a whooping 413 daily cases per 100,000, followed by New York (369 per 100K), New Jersey (351 per 100K), and Massachusetts (289 per 100K).

But the South, Midwest, and West are closely following behind now. The South is accelerating the fastest with Mississippi as the case growth leader (+702%), followed by South Carolina (+652%), Texas (+614%), and Louisiana (+546%),

On a national level, hospitalizations continue to rise and, in the past two weeks, increased 78%. Yesterday we broke the pandemic record with 135,292 hospitalizations (surpassing the previous peak of 132,474 hospitalizations on Jan 6, 2021).

Deaths are increasing modestly at +12% over the past two weeks, but this is always the last indicator to increase. So I’m afraid we will have more deaths from this vaccine-preventable disease. On average, 1,524 people are dying each day.

State of Affairs: Jan 10 - Your Local Epidemiologist (substack.com)
 I don't know why they keep saying this.  The vaccine, while important does not prevent this virus from spreading.  If we follow South Africa we have another couple of weeks of cases rising and then they should drop.  I have been talking with some friends we all have college age kids and all of these kids that are required to get tested to go back to school are hitting positive even though they are asymptomatic.  I think this is driving up a lot of these numbers.  I am hoping this wave is a blessing in disguise and gives people more resiliency to the next variant that shows up here in the coming weeks/months.  

I don't know why they keep saying this.  The vaccine, while important does not prevent this virus from spreading.  If we follow South Africa we have another couple of weeks of cases rising and then they should drop.  I have been talking with some friends we all have college age kids and all of these kids that are required to get tested to go back to school are hitting positive even though they are asymptomatic.  I think this is driving up a lot of these numbers.  I am hoping this wave is a blessing in disguise and gives people more resiliency to the next variant that shows up here in the coming weeks/months.  
What's driving the numbers is Omicron. Not the testing. If anything, testing is under reported right now due to the difficulty in finding tests. At any rate, I agree with you about silver lining. Hopefully this wave will boost the overall immunity in the population and cases will start dropping rapidly in the next couple of weeks. 

What's driving the numbers is Omicron. Not the testing. If anything, testing is under reported right now due to the difficulty in finding tests. At any rate, I agree with you about silver lining. Hopefully this wave will boost the overall immunity in the population and cases will start dropping rapidly in the next couple of weeks. 
Testing is now becoming overwhelmed to where we have to ask if it's even worth it. Seems the lines are so long, I would guess many are not getting tested. 

We'll know more in the next 4-6 weeks, but it does seem it's going to burn out.  :)

Testing is now becoming overwhelmed to where we have to ask if it's even worth it. Seems the lines are so long, I would guess many are not getting tested. 

We'll know more in the next 4-6 weeks, but it does seem it's going to burn out.  :)

I agree that obviously omicron is driving the results, but what would numbers look like if we were not testing otherwise healthy people.   I would be curious if we did the same thing for the flu how would that case count look compared to normal fu numbers.   I would guess each year there are many asymptomatic people with the flu as well.   I understand the need to test, just trying to give some perspective to at least part of the increase in case counts that does not get relayed in the headlines 

Yes - My kids were sick last week. Couldn't buy a rapid test, couldn't schedule a testing appointment for several days out. our friends gave us a hoe test kit to use. They tested negative, but apparently the home tests are not as effective at detecting Omicron. So who knows. they are better now and back in school. We'll never know if they had it or not.   

My sons class had 9 out of 21 kids in class yesterday. My daughter's middles school has so many teachers out, that they don't have enough subs and staff are teaching classes.  This Omicron ain't a joke. 

Last edited by a moderator:
My sons class had 9 out of 21 kids in class yesterday. My daughter's middles school has so many teachers out, that they don't have enough subs and staff are teaching classes.  This Omicron ain't a joke. 
My granddaughter's school had to go to viral this week because so many teachers and staff are out.

I keep waiting for that to happen here as well...when I talk to my teenage son he is about the only person who wears a mask at his middle school (which drives me nuts)

We are supposed to be going to Raleigh this weekend to visit some friends for the holiday weekend...their daughter is now sick (sounds like flu as opposed to COVID) and can not find anywhere that can test her for either COVID or the flu so of course we are now staying put...even in my little neck of the woods one can walk into most pharmacies and be tested (either Rapid or PCR) without a wait...how is testing in everyone's neck of the woods?  Do the local pediatricians test for COVID in your area?  Spur's Addiction...have any ideas on the Raleigh front?