Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corona virus, the non-asshole thread

I guess none of them has had a dead person projectile vomit on them lol. 
eww-gif.gif

I have a good friend in CHS who's got the CV. The nut is still going in to work...but staying away from others. 

Regardless, lots of his family got it from their Christmas gathering on Sat. 25th. I would guess most were un-vaxxed.

Looks like all are going to make it, but for sure a few are really sick. 

Roll the dice....get snake eyes. 

oh-well-leonardo-dicaprio.gif

I think this is a very important question.

There are lots of family members not talking to each other because somebody infected someone who later died.  If it is indeed a global change and everyone was most likely going to get it sooner or later, then it lessen the emotional sting for people in those situations.

I do think the question will eventually need to be answered.

I think it's still a great tool to reduce the spread. Will it prevent 100% infections. No. Will it reduce the risk of you spreading it to someone else. Yes (but I am not a infections disease expert).

The thing with the 'rona - people can be asymptotic and spread it without knowing. that is the danger. It would be a lot easier if only people with symptoms spread the virus. Then you can just tell people if they are sick to quarantine. Or if you must go out, wear a mask. Everyone else can carry on as usual. 

That tells me as a society, we are not ready to move on. 

I get it. I haven't seen my parents in 2.5 years. And they have not seen their grand kids. We were waiting to have our  11 year old vaxxed, and they have now  booked a flight in Jan to come see us.  But now with Omicron, who the F knows. It's frustrating for sure. Everyone is worn out with this pandemic. 

We have the vaccines and ability to stop this plague. Two things are preventing it:

- All the anti-vax nonsense being spread on-line

- Vaccines not being readily available in the undeveloped world. Need to vaccinate the entire wold to stop the emergnce of new variants. 
I am not sure this is the case.  Would be nice, but I think we are still learning what we are dealing with and so far all vaccines have really done is keep people out of the hospital, which is a very good thing.  I do sympathize with you not seeing your parents.  Mine are local so the travel thing does not come into play for me.  Sorry you may have to cancel again.  

Last edited by a moderator:
1,000,000 new cases reported yesterday in United States. That's a decent % of the entire population.
It's a lot of people but a very tiny % of the population.  .3%  

Approx 15% of the US population have tested positive overall. 

The caseloads where I work now right around 10x that of Delta. Thank god is less severe than delta.

CDC is saying 95% of new cases in the US are Omnicron now. 
I am not sure if I am just Jaded at this point, but I struggle to trust that number.  Delta that was so contagious is now only 5% of cases?  On another note,  I am glad to see that people are finally coming around to counting the hospitalization numbers properly.  I am curious to see how this effects the % that are actually being treated for covid vs there for something else and testing positive.  

The caseloads where I work now right around 10x that of Delta. Thank god is less severe than delta.
exactly...this is what we need to get to endemic status IMO...I have resigned myself to the fact that I am going to get COVID and that thankfully I have made it to a less virulent strain

I am not sure if I am just Jaded at this point, but I struggle to trust that number.  Delta that was so contagious is now only 5% of cases?  On another note,  I am glad to see that people are finally coming around to counting the hospitalization numbers properly.  I am curious to see how this effects the % that are actually being treated for covid vs there for something else and testing positive.  

It did says it was an estimate. Since they only sample a portion of tests for which variant. Not sure how they get at the number. 

Omnicron is way more contagious, and it is simply out-pacing Delta. The good news is that signs point to it being less severe. So if a large swath of population gets Omnicron, it will build up immunity across the population with less severe disease. The bad news. A way more contagious variant of a less severe virus, could still land a ton of people in the hospitals.  

exactly...this is what we need to get to endemic status IMO...I have resigned myself to the fact that I am going to get COVID and that thankfully I have made it to a less virulent strain
...and with your vaxx status, may likely have very light symptoms. On the other hand, those not vaxxed are likely to get pretty sick for a decent amount of time. 

Unfortunately, our children too young to vax are getting hit with this.  :(

...and with your vaxx status, may likely have very light symptoms. On the other hand, those not vaxxed are likely to get pretty sick for a decent amount of time. 

Unfortunately, our children too young to vax are getting hit with this.  :(
agreed...we have both our children full vaccinated but that is not the case for most of the US

CDC is saying 95% of new cases in the US are Omnicron now. 
The CDC is getting killed with memes by healthcare workers. 

Glad we are the only ones who now get shorter quarantine time after positive tests (subject to staffing of course, if the hospital declares it's in crisis, NO, yet, No time, come in to work regardless of your symptoms.), no need to quarantine after known exposure. 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/mitigating-staff-shortages.html

This is not how the government should keep a hospital staffed.