Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corona virus, the non-asshole thread

one of my assistants husbands was in the ER From wednesday night until last night due to sugar regulation problems...there were no beds in the hospital and he spent most of his time in a hallway all b/c the unvaccinated are filling out the hospitals...his survival was a little touch and go there for a while but has finally stabilized...the article you posted certainly rings true for quite a few in health care I would imagine

Last edited by a moderator:
So here we are one year later, and we’ve had to cancel Christmas plans because of Covid. Not much has really changed.

When does this become just anther flu? Where we all recognize you can get it and have to deal with not feeling well, but not have to quarantine and test forever? 2021 had so much promise. 

someone once sung the lyrics “the more things change the more they stay the same”…

So here we are one year later, and we’ve had to cancel Christmas plans because of Covid. Not much has really changed.

When does this become just anther flu? Where we all recognize you can get it and have to deal with not feeling well, but not have to quarantine and test forever? 2021 had so much promise. 

someone once sung the lyrics “the more things change the more they stay the same”…
I think many of us are already there.  Vaccinated and living life as normal as possible.  With the vaccine and booster it is no more deadly than the flu at this point.  

I think many of us are already there.  Vaccinated and living life as normal as possible.  With the vaccine and booster it is no more deadly than the flu at this point.  
I would like to think that’s true but I constantly deal with disruptions at work for days on end and then with the holidays having to tiptoe around because of people traveling and needing to test to get on planes. I really struggle right now with a party that we were having with only vaccinated adults and children and yet it was cancelled because one person said they tested positive and now everyone backed out. I understand the “why” but still find it to be “last year thinking”

I would like to think that’s true but I constantly deal with disruptions at work for days on end and then with the holidays having to tiptoe around because of people traveling and needing to test to get on planes. I really struggle right now with a party that we were having with only vaccinated adults and children and yet it was cancelled because one person said they tested positive and now everyone backed out. I understand the “why” but still find it to be “last year thinking”
Understood and I agree with you about “last year thinking” The exception for me is I can understand people with underlying conditions certainly being more cautious and I really sympathize with them.  

Just curious, what's the current medical thought process on facemasks -- are they to prevent spreading or catching?

I'm fully vaxxed but continue to wear masks when out in public.  In my case, I'm not really worried about my health, but I still interact frequently with an elderly mother and aunt, and would be devastated if they caught something from me.

Had to?

Well when you host a party with 40 people and 30 back out, yes had to. 
Ahh, gotcha.  I had misunderstood what you meant in the original post.  Yeah, smaller gatherings seem to make more sense.  We've definitely scaled back some plans the past couple years as well. 

Ahh, gotcha.  I had misunderstood what you meant in the original post.  Yeah, smaller gatherings seem to make more sense.  We've definitely scaled back some plans the past couple years as well. 
No worries. Just frustrated right now since this is the one thing everyone looks forward to. Trying to plan a redo in the spring. Just was hoping with everyone vaccinated it didn’t have to come to this. 

Just curious, what's the current medical thought process on facemasks -- are they to prevent spreading or catching?

I'm fully vaxxed but continue to wear masks when out in public.  In my case, I'm not really worried about my health, but I still interact frequently with an elderly mother and aunt, and would be devastated if they caught something from me.
I think it's still a great tool to reduce the spread. Will it prevent 100% infections. No. Will it reduce the risk of you spreading it to someone else. Yes (but I am not a infections disease expert).

The thing with the 'rona - people can be asymptotic and spread it without knowing. that is the danger. It would be a lot easier if only people with symptoms spread the virus. Then you can just tell people if they are sick to quarantine. Or if you must go out, wear a mask. Everyone else can carry on as usual. 

Well when you host a party with 40 people and 30 back out, yes had to. 
That tells me as a society, we are not ready to move on. 

No worries. Just frustrated right now since this is the one thing everyone looks forward to. Trying to plan a redo in the spring. Just was hoping with everyone vaccinated it didn’t have to come to this. 
I get it. I haven't seen my parents in 2.5 years. And they have not seen their grand kids. We were waiting to have our  11 year old vaxxed, and they have now  booked a flight in Jan to come see us.  But now with Omicron, who the F knows. It's frustrating for sure. Everyone is worn out with this pandemic. 

We have the vaccines and ability to stop this plague. Two things are preventing it:

- All the anti-vax nonsense being spread on-line

- Vaccines not being readily available in the undeveloped world. Need to vaccinate the entire wold to stop the emergnce of new variants. 

I have been going to the home basketball games since 2014 and went to two men's games so far this season, but I have decided not to go to any more home games this season even though I wear a mask and am fully vaccinated and recently boosted.

Last year the attendance was limited to 4500 ST holders.

I explored the possibility of season tickets this year, but it seemed like the ticket office was still limiting season tickets in anticipation of more restrictions, maybe after December when conference play begins.  All they have to do is turn off the single-game tickets in Ticketmaster and they would be pretty close to whatever number they think they may be limited to this season.

At first I was pissed, then I thought about Covid spread in a crowded indoor arena and just let it go.  We still have to protect the players, coaches and arena employees and also myself as well.  It just is what it is, but I have come to the opinion that even before Covid the ticket office blows off most season ticket requests so they can charge full price and make more revenue.

It's one of the big reasons why I think Tanner needs to go.  If the ticket office continues to pull that crap after so many people were arbitrarily not allowed to go to the games in 2020 and are trying to get back in the ST game up through football season, I think Tanner is gone if the FB season tanks again.

If you didn't think front line workers were expendible before... Check out the new American Heart Association guidelines for CPR on known + patients. 

For witnessed sudden cardiac arrests, chests compressions should be initiated immediately. Providers should not delay chest compressions to put on PPE or place face covering on patients. For pediatric patients, ventilations should be prioritized

https://www.clinicaladvisor.com/home/topics/cardiovascular-disease-information-center/aha-updates-cpr-guidance-patients-covid-19/

Oh and if we do get it, they shortened the quarantine guidelines as well. 

If you didn't think front line workers were expendible before... Check out the new American Heart Association guidelines for CPR on known + patients. 

For witnessed sudden cardiac arrests, chests compressions should be initiated immediately. Providers should not delay chest compressions to put on PPE or place face covering on patients. For pediatric patients, ventilations should be prioritized

https://www.clinicaladvisor.com/home/topics/cardiovascular-disease-information-center/aha-updates-cpr-guidance-patients-covid-19/

Oh and if we do get it, they shortened the quarantine guidelines as well. 
Totally ridiculous to me