Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What should our response be if Russia invades Ukraine?

I'm not sure Ukraine will be "allowed" to go on the offensive inside of Russia because of fear of nuclear response. I've read nothing, but I suspect there are some strings to the flow of money to Ukraine.
I agree. You can bet there are rules to abide by in exchange for the military aid.

That is the way it has been for quite some time. Look at NATO contributions. We are always left to bear the financial brunt for our "allies" The EU is a joke at this point. We do what we need to do to make things happen has and will be the way it is moving forward. Lost in all of this is the cesspool of corruption that Ukraine was before this invasion. Now the narrative has changed that they are heroes yada yada. I believe we need to help them defend themselves, but just hope something better arises out of Ukraine after this conflict is over.
We don't want to send Ukraine our best stuff because of the close proximity to Russia and the risk of divided loyalties causing us to lose some vital military secrets.

I am really surprised that Putin is still standing on the throttle at this point, too. All it has done is solidified in peoples' heads that Russia has become a true foreign terror state.

That is the way it has been for quite some time. Look at NATO contributions. We are always left to bear the financial brunt for our "allies" The EU is a joke at this point. We do what we need to do to make things happen has and will be the way it is moving forward. Lost in all of this is the cesspool of corruption that Ukraine was before this invasion. Now the narrative has changed that they are heroes yada yada. I believe we need to help them defend themselves, but just hope something better arises out of Ukraine after this conflict is over.
I was involved in several NATO operations. I can vouch for the "financial brunt" part of it.

So...anyone want to throw out some theories on what happens if Putin uses a small tactical nuke in Ukraine?

So...anyone want to throw out some theories on what happens if Putin uses a small tactical nuke in Ukraine?

In winter the eastern Mediterranean basin experiences bitter easterly and northeasterly winds derived from the Siberian high. Those winds’ occasional projection westward explains unusually cold winters in western and central Europe, while exceptionally warm winters in that region result from the sustained flow of tropical maritime air masses.

cgicurrentgraph

If Putin were to nuke Kiev or Kharkiev today, the prevailing NE winds would carry the fall-out directly to Russia/Moscow.

So maybe he should effin' do that. LOL

Hopefully we beat UK on Saturday. Nuclear holocaust be damned because losing to UK and the Aggies all these years seems just as bad at this point. JMO.

Last edited:

The winds go clockwise with western Russia as the center. He won't nuke southern Ukraine, either, because that's the land he wants.

It's hard to tell the difference between an actual possibility and posturing at this point.

If Putin uses nukes, the NATO response needs to be swift, fast and, decisive. We should not use nukes to retaliate, but an overwhelming, fast and insulting conventional defeat is required. Take out every Russian asset within (or within striking distance) of Ukraine.

There needs to be a clear and concise response from NATO. Any kind of wishy-washy response will just let Putin and anyone else with nukes know that it’s ‘no big deal’.

And this is my opinion as a ‘generally anti war lib’. The only other option of more sanctions will lead to nukes being ‘OK’. The thing that kept the cold wat in check was the threat of mutual annihilation. That is what will keep Putin from using nukes in this ‘special military operation’. Because his army cannot take a full on NATO retaliation.

I may be wrong. But in my view there is only one course of action. Otherwise we are all dead anyway.

If Putin uses nukes, the NATO response needs to be swift, fast and, decisive. We should not use nukes to retaliate, but an overwhelming, fast and insulting conventional defeat is required. Take out every Russian asset within (or within striking distance) of Ukraine.

There needs to be a clear and concise response from NATO. Any kind of wishy-washy response will just let Putin and anyone else with nukes know that it’s ‘no big deal’.

And this is my opinion as a ‘generally anti war lib’. The only other option of more sanctions will lead to nukes being ‘OK’. The thing that kept the cold wat in check was the threat of mutual annihilation. That is what will keep Putin from using nukes in this ‘special military operation’. Because his army cannot take a full on NATO retaliation.

I may be wrong. But in my view there is only one course of action. Otherwise we are all dead anyway.
While I don't necessarily disagree with your opinion a strong response attack by conventional means may just trigger Putin to use even more nukes on them. It's a hell of a dilemma.

While I don't necessarily disagree with your opinion a strong response attack by conventional means may just trigger Putin to use even more nukes on them. It's a hell of a dilemma.
We have no choice. We have to respond decisively. We're backed into a corner. Putin has lost. The Ukrainians are kicking his azz.
Putin can pull all his forces out of Ukraine and survive. That's his shaky off ramp. His goal has to be survival. Using tac-nucs threatens his survival, not sustain it.
They can just invent some kind of alternate reality propaganda to explain everything. Maybe even have a victory parade if they can find enough vehicles.
Kinda like Saddam after Desert Storm.

We have no choice. We have to respond decisively. We're backed into a corner. Putin has lost. The Ukrainians are kicking his azz.
Putin can pull all his forces out of Ukraine and survive. That's his shaky off ramp. His goal has to be survival. Using tac-nucs threatens his survival, not sustain it.
They can just invent some kind of alternate reality propaganda to explain everything. Maybe even have a victory parade if they can find enough vehicles.
Kinda like Saddam after Desert Storm.
If we were to respond with a strong conventional attack especially on Russian soil we're giving Putin (by his warped rational) the excuse he needs to respond with any and all means at his disposal.

Plus Russian public opinion (not that he really cares) may flip from a "we don't want to invade Ukraine" mentality to a "we must now defend mother Russia" mentality. Like I stated earlier, it's a hell of a dilemma.

I don’t disagree. But it here is no response or a weak one, Putin will also continue to use nukes.

I don’t disagree. But it here is no response or a weak one, Putin will also continue to use nukes.
IMHO this entire mess is another botched/inept UN failure. The first day Russia invaded Ukrainian soil the UN should have authorized a UN military involvement much like when N Korea invaded S Korea. The UN is totally worthless.

If we were to respond with a strong conventional attack....
I saw an article that referenced a no-fly zone if intel got wind of the RU planning something. Western air power would attack all RU forces in Ukraine, including Crimea.

As bad as our options are, they are 10x worse for putin. He has his own political enemies to contend with.

IMHO this entire mess is another botched/inept UN failure. The first day Russia invaded Ukrainian soil the UN should have authorized a UN military involvement much like when N Korea invaded S Korea. The UN is totally worthless.
RU is perm council member along wit the PRC. :( As long as this continues, yea the UN is whiskey delta.

Let's be honest, the use of nukes is a death sentence for millions upon millions and would set off WWIII. This is why the Russia, Russia, Russia paid for Dossier was so dangerous, the non diplomatic president speaking out his a$$ at every other press conference is dangerous, open borders is dangerous, dividing the country is dangerous, leaking classified documents... we do business as a country with monsters all the time, you can't give the Taliban Afghanistan and continue to do business with China, Pakistan... while making Putin enemy #1, for what? We were told by Democrats not long ago the Cold War was over and diplomacy is what we need only to hear Biden talk apocalypse... Follow that money!

I saw an article that referenced a no-fly zone if intel got wind of the RU planning something. Western air power would attack all RU forces in Ukraine, including Crimea.

As bad as our options are, they are 10x worse for putin. He has his own political enemies to contend with.
Plus thousands are leaving Russia to avoid the 300K-man draft he has decreed.

My fear is if NATO is forced to respond, outside of Great Britain, I have suspect confidence that some of the European members will have the gumption to stick with the plan.

My fear is if NATO is forced to respond, outside of Great Britain, I have suspect confidence that some of the European members will have the gumption to stick with the plan.
If they don't stick with the plan NATO is finished.