Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What should our response be if Russia invades Ukraine?

What I don't understand is where is the diplomacy in trying to de-escalate this situation and keep us from heading into an all out nuclear war. This line of "Putin Bad" and no other actions is not going to accomplish anything. I think his actions have more to them than just wanting to rebuild the old Soviet empire we keep hearing. I think it has more to do with NATO getting closer and closer to his borders and if the roles were reversed and Russia was knocking on our door I think we would react as well. Time for cooler heads to prevail and let's get some dialogue going before it is too late for all of us.

What I don't understand is where is the diplomacy in trying to de-escalate this situation and keep us from heading into an all out nuclear war. This line of "Putin Bad" and no other actions is not going to accomplish anything. I think his actions have more to them than just wanting to rebuild the old Soviet empire we keep hearing. I think it has more to do with NATO getting closer and closer to his borders and if the roles were reversed and Russia was knocking on our door I think we would react as well. Time for cooler heads to prevail and let's get some dialogue going before it is too late for all of us.
Macron tried before the war. I think Turkey has offered. Neither side seems to be interested at the moment. Putin can’t give in, and Ukraine is retaking territory daily. I think it wail have to be form some non-NATO country. India or Saudi or Japan, etc to media it.

Macron tried before the war. I think Turkey has offered. Neither side seems to be interested at the moment. Putin can’t give in, and Ukraine is retaking territory daily. I think it wail have to be form some non-NATO country. India or Saudi or Japan, etc to media it.
Appeasement. And no one can tell the Ukrainians they don't have the right to fight.

chamberlain-declares-peace-for-our-time-75-years-agos-featured-photo.jpg

What I don't understand is where is the diplomacy in trying to de-escalate this situation and keep us from heading into an all out nuclear war.
And let the rest of the world know we cowed to Putin? Appease tyranny? Overlook massive war crimes and genocide against Ukraine?
Let putin off the hook so he can continue attacking Ukraine once he's rebuilt his forces?

2022-04-08T000000Z_1272861126_MT1NURPHO000XURFDX_RTRMADP_3_UKRAINE-CRISIS-1024x683.jpg

And let the rest of the world know we cowed to Putin? Appease tyranny? Overlook massive war crimes and genocide against Ukraine?
Let putin off the hook so he can continue attacking Ukraine once he's rebuilt his forces?

2022-04-08T000000Z_1272861126_MT1NURPHO000XURFDX_RTRMADP_3_UKRAINE-CRISIS-1024x683.jpg
I did not suggest appeasement, but there needs to be some type of discussions about how to end this thing or the body bags you pictured here will continue to stack up on both sides and will more than likely contain American bodies at some point. There can be diplomacy without weakness imho. We are as close to an all out nuclear war than we have ever been.

I did not suggest appeasement, but there needs to be some type of discussions about how to end this thing or the body bags you pictured here will continue to stack up on both sides and will more than likely contain American bodies at some point. There can be diplomacy without weakness imho. We are as close to an all out nuclear war than we have ever been.
Yes we need to be firm and steadfast in our resolve. I have zero confidence in this administration to successfully improve upon the current situation.

War crimes, you think they let us off the hook for our war crimes in the American Revolution, was it a war crime to drop a tactical nuke... war crimes is an oxymoron beyond compare, well our president called this an "illegal war"! It is only a crime if you are on the other side...
How many American soldiers have we tried for war crimes, when u send a kid, put war weapons in his hands, put him into a war zone to protect your freedoms and that is what Russia thinks it is doing...
If you are trying to kill me or my family rules go out the window, I will torture and do some corrupt crap to save those I love...
So Ukraine is pushing out Russia but Russia obliterated those attacks with missile attacks and everyone is mad at Russia. Ukraines president says they will not be intimidated, I feel like this is the same conversation we had 9 months ago when this was going to be a very quick war and we didn't need to worry about nukes...

How did we cow to Russia? So when Russia left Afg they cowed to us? SILLY, as if world politics is like high school drama and what if we did cow to Russia to save lives in Ukraine over property that used to belong to the Sovit Union, let them fight...

Russian oligarchs are hollering for more missiles into Ukraine to end this, the Ukrainian president will either lose his people or sit at the table, I'm afraid he has no choice imo, if he/we continue down the road of telling the world the Ukrainians are kicking ass and cry when Russia strikes it will get worse for Ukrainians and could lead to WWIII...

You also didn't answer any of my questions.
They were not really questions more like statements with question marks behind them. I don't think we need to do any of those things with the proper diplomacy, but let's just stay the course like you think we should and be all macho and back Putin farther into the corner with his promises of using nukes and our President saying out loud that the goal is a regime change in Russia and see where that get's us. No need for talking.

They were not really questions more like statements with question marks behind them. I don't think we need to do any of those things with the proper diplomacy, but let's just stay the course like you think we should and be all macho and back Putin farther into the corner with his promises of using nukes and our President saying out loud that the goal is a regime change in Russia and see where that get's us. No need for talking.
They were questions. You just didn't want to answer them.

They were questions. You just didn't want to answer them.
They are not question or at least not good ones. LThey are assumptions of what you think will happen if we try to use some type of diplomacy to end this thing. I happen to think, if done properly, none of the things you assume will happen. We can just agree to disagree. I think for now we will just keep fighting this proxy war with Russia until they give up or escalate things.

They are not question or at least not good ones. LThey are assumptions of what you think will happen if we try to use some type of diplomacy to end this thing. I happen to think, if done properly, none of the things you assume will happen. We can just agree to disagree. I think for now we will just keep fighting this proxy war with Russia until they give up or escalate things.
It's sad to say, but that's the way it was during the Cold War (since Putin appears to want to return to that).

I remember back in the 1980s one of my history instructors in Gambrell saying the Vietnam War was really about Berlin, although I have since heard others say it also bought time for the Pacific Rim countries not to be consumed by communism during that time.

It seems Russia has always made maintaining world peace very complicated in one way or the other after WW2.

The more things change, the more they stay the same, I reckon.

Last edited:
It's sad to say, but that's the way it was during the Cold War (since Putin appears to want to return to that).

I remember back in the 1980s one of my history instructors in Gambrell saying the Vietnam War was really about Berlin, although I have since heard other say it also bought time for the Pacific Rim countries not to be consumed by communism during that time.

It seems Russia has always made maintaining world peace very complicated in one way or the other after WW2.

The more things change, the more they stay the same, I reckon.
I sometimes wonder if we'd been better off during WWII to stop at the German border and make a secret agreement with the Germans to go no further so they could fight the Russians on the Eastern front.

After it was all over we could have walked into Germany unopposed and dealt with the old Soviet Union sternly. (hindsight is always 20/20)

After it was all over we could have walked into Germany unopposed and dealt with the old Soviet Union sternly. (hindsight is always 20/20)
We would have to fight the RA & probably wind up nuking them. Stalin was a mean SOB.

We've been in a 2nd cold war with RU since the Russians started conducting millions of cyber attacks on the US. How far back does that go?
A cyber attack is an act of war.

SE Asia: cannot leave out Ike's communism domino theory (1954) that influenced foreign & defense policy for years to some. It's also a known fact that our intel (CIA) made big miscalculations about Vietnam and Cuba.