Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What should our response be if Russia invades Ukraine?

I'm generally opposed to getting involved in foreign entanglements. I do however believe that if Russia conquers Ukraine they won't be content to stop there so yes, I would rather see Ukraine fight them (with our help) than us fighting them.
If we don't help stop them now, we'll eventually be at war with them through NATO. They are capable of huge amounts of dirty sh_t.

There is a reason Sweden & Finland are now joining NATO.

If we don't help stop them now, we'll eventually be at war with them through NATO. They are capable of huge amounts of dirty sh_t.

There is a reason Sweden & Finland are now joining NATO.
Agreed. They know what's coming if they're not stopped in Ukraine.

What propoganda that Ukraine is winning and the war will be over quickly have you seen? Pretty much all reporting I have seen are saying it is a long war with currently neither side wining. the only propoganda I have seen claiming it will be a short war was from the Kremlin at the start of the war.
Go back through this thread, articles from CNN, Forbes, MSN... have been posted as early as April 2022 insinuating Ukraine is kicking Russias ass and the war could be over sooner rather than later as Russian losses mount--- they always end with send money...

I'm generally opposed to getting involved in foreign entanglements. I do however believe that if Russia conquers Ukraine they won't be content to stop there so yes, I would rather see Ukraine fight them (with our help) than us fighting them.
So why didn't we start this in 2014, timing just not right? What changed? What about this invasion is so much more horrible than the 2014 invasion? So you would rather send Ukrainians to slaughter than young Americans, let someone else fight with our weapons, similar to Russians sending mercenaries 🙄 in a ground war you send in the grunts to draw the enemy out for the well trained forces... Are you good with this escalating into WWIII? I see posts stating we know what's coming if they're not stopped in Ukraine but we couldn't see that in 2014 when the Democrats stated afterwards Russia was not our enemy, stated the 90's called and want there foreign policy back and that diplomacy was the answer? Just curious, what changed? Burisma? The Nordic pipeline? What changed? Kind of like the American flag, just 3 years ago it was racist 🙄 and hated, folks kneeled at the anthem...what changed?

So why didn't we start this in 2014, timing just not right? What changed? What about this invasion is so much more horrible than the 2014 invasion? So you would rather send Ukrainians to slaughter than young Americans, let someone else fight with our weapons, similar to Russians sending mercenaries 🙄 in a ground war you send in the grunts to draw the enemy out for the well trained forces... Are you good with this escalating into WWIII? I see posts stating we know what's coming if they're not stopped in Ukraine but we couldn't see that in 2014 when the Democrats stated afterwards Russia was not our enemy, stated the 90's called and want there foreign policy back and that diplomacy was the answer? Just curious, what changed? Burisma? The Nordic pipeline? What changed? Kind of like the American flag, just 3 years ago it was racist 🙄 and hated, folks kneeled at the anthem...what changed?
In 2014 they weren't trying to conquer the entire country, they said they wanted the Crimea. I would have been fine with trying to stop them in 2014 if Europe was on board with it.

And yes I'd rather see Ukrainians dying to defend Ukraine instead of Americans dying to defend Ukraine.

You just can’t keep this thread to just the war in Ukraine, can you? Always bringing in other political baggage. Please stop. You have been warned multiple times.

You just can’t keep this thread to just the war in Ukraine, can you? Always bringing in other political baggage. Please stop. You have been warned multiple times.
What else happen in Feb 2014? I don't put my head in the sand and I'm going to discuss the war or I'm not. Who is Petro Poroshenko, who spied on him and why, what did they take from his campaign? He is currently fighting for his homeland in this war...
Petro Poroshenko became president after winning the 2014 presidential elections. The new government began a removal of civil servants associated with the overthrown regime.[41][42][43] There was also widespread decommunization (or de-Sovietization) of the country...
He was defeated by a young man that played the president on TV, one with no political experience that started and named his political party after the one he gained fame with on TV... I think a president that had a grandfather that was a colonel in the Russian Army is concerning since he defeated Poroshenko who was a nationalist and all about Ukraine... As president, Zelenskyy has been a proponent of e-government and of unity between the Ukrainian- and Russian-speaking parts of the country's population? During his presidential campaign, Zelenskyy promised to end Ukraine's protracted conflict with Russia?
Putin has stated he would start peace talks but Zelensky declined. The senseless loss of life sense is insane and this concerns me, leads me to question why, what changed besides the trillions of dollars he is getting? I'm just weary of crowning heroes out of nowhere, shall I say fabricated... Have a good day and thanks for the warnings

I don't think you can talk about this war without the other things that come along with it. I have been pretty quiet as I cannot really discuss this thing without wondering exactly why or what our motivations are as well. We let Crimea fall without any push back, now we make Ukraine, a fully corrupt entity out to be heroes. I think Russia really wants the port access that Ukraine offers. Is this about us defending Ukraine or keeping Russia from getting that access they so badly want. Much of it does not make sense and I think it is ok to question what exactly we hope to accomplish here. I totally get some of what you are saying about some of the barbs, but I think we are being fed a line of bull on some stuff as well. We've gone from defensive weapons only to offensive now and while many feel getting Putin out will fix this and history tells us that is a crap shoot at best.

I don't think you can talk about this war without the other things that come along with it.

Over 1000 posts in this thread say otherwise. Sure politics are intertwined, but we can do so without the partisan bickering. We can, and have talked about this war without bringing up Hunter Biden's laptop, Burisma, Trump, etc. Well, all of us excpet one poster. Everyone else is able to reign it in. I know me and Blitzie have gotten into it a bunch in the old view points forum, and we have managed to keep the partisan stuff out of it. I am tired of warning him.

I don't think you can talk about this war without the other things that come along with it. I have been pretty quiet as I cannot really discuss this thing without wondering exactly why or what our motivations are as well. We let Crimea fall without any push back, now we make Ukraine, a fully corrupt entity out to be heroes. I think Russia really wants the port access that Ukraine offers. Is this about us defending Ukraine or keeping Russia from getting that access they so badly want. Much of it does not make sense and I think it is ok to question what exactly we hope to accomplish here. I totally get some of what you are saying about some of the barbs, but I think we are being fed a line of bull on some stuff as well. We've gone from defensive weapons only to offensive now and while many feel getting Putin out will fix this and history tells us that is a crap shoot at best.
To me it boils down to what will Putin do if he successfully defeats Ukraine? Is he going to leave Finland, Latvia, Estonia, Poland etc alone if he's succeeds in Ukraine? I believe the answer to that question is a resounding no.

That was the thought that popped up in my head as well after GMB mentioned the sacking of Poroshenko.

The only thing I will add is that Eastern European cybercriminal groups have penetrated our digital borders long before the current war Ukraine and have received billions of dollars in ransom payments over the years to unlock encrypted computer hard drives. Not just in the U.S. but in Western Europe as well. Remember the hospital chains in the UK that were brought to their knees by hackers several years ago? That put a lot of lives at risk to a certain degree as well.

Now this: https://www.cnbc.com/2023/05/24/microsoft-warns-that-china-hackers-attacked-us-infrastructure.html

Several years ago a foreign entity out of Saigon attempted a login attempt on my late mom's estate bank account.

We tend to focus on the geographical part of the war most of the time, but Russia and China are still major threats in other areas as well.

Having said all of the above, the Ukraine war is a damned mess. Longhaul's point about the port access may be a major driver behind Putin's actions as well.

Last edited:
To me it boils down to what will Putin do if he successfully defeats Ukraine? Is he going to leave Finland, Latvia, Estonia, Poland etc alone if he's succeeds in Ukraine? I believe the answer to that question is a resounding no.
We cannot discuss the current war without the context of the Soviet Union, WWII & and the Cold War. Putin is an old school Soviet commie.

Those areas of Europe, including Ukraine, Poland & Finland all have lots of blood on their soil thanks to the Russians.

And there is no doubt in my mind, that if we don't stand up to autocratic aggression in Ukraine, the domino effect will bring us into some highly destructive wars.
The rest of the world has to know that the US is, and will continue to be the arsenal of democracy, and the sacrafices of our troops over the past century demands us to be vigilant.