Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What should our response be if Russia invades Ukraine?

Just my opinion but I believe that some NATO members didn't want Ukraine because they didn't want to go to war against Russia under an article 5 instance.
I think most did not trust Ukraine and the corruption, I hope Zelensky is not a paper tiger...

Germany, for some reason, particularly grinds my gears.
A lot has changed in Germany in the past 15 months. They have now become one of the largest contributors of support to Ukraine, after initially dragging their feet. They are the ones who supplied the Patriot missile units.
Russia has had a lot of influence on Germany and there is a lot of pro-Russian voices there, but something definitely has changed. Sanctions and moving away from Russian fossile fuels has been huge.
My bet is all the destruction in Ukraine has made an impact.

Also noteworthy, that in spite of being right leaning, the PM of Italy is adamant in supporting Ukraine. Interesting times.

F-16 fighter jets will be high on the agenda as Ukraine and its international partners meet virtually on Thursday for the latest Ukraine Defense Contact Group, a coalition of nearly 50 countries supporting Ukraine’s military needs.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy addressed the graduating class of Johns Hopkins University and reiterated the importance of not wasting time.

Zelenskyy, who spoke virtually to the students of Johns Hopkins University, described time as “the most valuable resource on the planet.”

Russia "could" end this today...if they wanted to.
Well Putin stated he would talk, sit down.. imagine if we had the sane attitude with Korea... You guys are smarter than that but we will sit back and pay for senseless deaths without even trying diplomacy and blame, BRILLUANT!! We should have this attitude with all nations and regimes, pick a side, draw a line in the sand and thats it, our way or we just send weapons to watch folks die until you see it our way.

Well Putin stated he would talk, sit down.. imagine if we had the sane attitude with Korea... You guys are smarter than that but we will sit back and pay for senseless deaths without even trying diplomacy and blame, BRILLUANT!! We should have this attitude with all nations and regimes, pick a side, draw a line in the sand and thats it, our way or we just send weapons to watch folks die until you see it our way.
Yeah Hitler was willing to sit down and talk as well. As with Hitler Putin's word would mean nothing.

Yeah Hitler was willing to sit down and talk as well. As with Hitler Putin's word would mean nothing.
So in 2014 and after we used Diplomacy, what changed? Is Putin gassing a race of people, no Diplomacy with Hitler led to what? Historians have written many books on Churchill deciding to not sit down with Hitler, in no way am I going to defend Hitler, Germany, Russia, Putin as if we have to pick a side, as if it is black and white, i choose America, land of the free, home of the brave, Red, White and Blue but again just a few years ago that made me... Is Peace what we want, are we all looking for the same thing? I go back to Zelensky's campaign, "During his presidential campaign, Zelenskyy promised to end Ukraine's protracted conflict with Russia?" but maybe Ukraine is Putins Poland if he is Hitler!
History repeats itself, you guys are 100's times smarter than I, tell me I'm crazy and fighting is the way forward...we can't turn back the clock, move forward!

Last edited:
So in 2014 and after we used Diplomacy, what changed? Is Putin gassing a race of people, no Diplomacy with Hitler led to what? Historians have written many books on Churchill deciding to not sit down with Hitler, in no way am I going to defend Hitler, Germany, Russia, Putin as if we have to pick a side, as if it is black and white, i choose America, land of the free, home of the brave, Red, White and Blue but again just a few years ago that made me... Is Peace what we want, are we all looking for the same thing? I go back to Zelensky's campaign, "During his presidential campaign, Zelenskyy promised to end Ukraine's protracted conflict with Russia?" but maybe Ukraine is Putins Poland if he is Hitler!
History repeats itself, you guys are 100's times smarter than I, tell me I'm crazy and fighting is the way forward...we can't turn back the clock, move forward!
History is full of examples of dictators entering into diplomatic talks, agreeing to all sorts of things and then breaking their word/promise when the time and situation suits them.

Again, whatever corruption/problems Ukraine has isn't the point here. Russia attacked them. Russia seeks to occupy the entire country. Russia is the aggressor here. Ukraine has ever right to defend their country.

There is no reason to believe that Putin will stop if he takes Ukraine.

History is full of examples of dictators entering into diplomatic talks, agreeing to all sorts of things and then breaking their word/promise when the time and situation suits them.

Again, whatever corruption/problems Ukraine has isn't the point here. Russia attacked them. Russia seeks to occupy the entire country. Russia is the aggressor here. Ukraine has ever right to defend their country.

There is no reason to believe that Putin will stop if he takes Ukraine.
What does history tell us about the regimes the US props up to fight atrocities like this, in this way? I would site the dictators we put in power but you know history...
If we had wanted Ukraine to not be taken by Russia we could have not taken there nukes but the corruption in Ukraine is not the point...
NATO is pouring in money to Ukraine because we worry they might attack NATO countries IF they gain control of Ukraine but NATO will not send soldiers because then NATO would be involved...
So what has Russia done since Putin was in charge that makes us believe this, did we not think this in 2014 but we're told Russia is not our enemy, the 90's called and want there foreign policy back... what changed?
So history says we tried Diplomacy first, what changed?

Ummm - he sent his army to invade a neighboring country, and started the largest land war in Europe since WWII.
Yeah, Crimea and Georgia didn't happen... you're right... So what changed?
And we haven't invaded any countries either...Iraq, Afghanistan... So what changed?

The Franco-German plan, drawn up after talks with Ukrainian president Petro Poroshenko and Russian president Vladimir Putin, was seen as a revival of the Minsk Protocol. President Hollande said that the plan was the "last chance" for resolution of the conflict.[30][31] The plan was put forth in response to American proposals to send armaments to the Ukrainian government, something that Chancellor Merkel said would only result in a worsening of the crisis.[30][32]

A summit to discuss the implementation of the Franco-German diplomatic plan was scheduled for 11 February at the Independence Palace in Minsk, the capital of Belarus. It was attended by Russian president Vladimir Putin, Ukrainian president Petro Poroshenko, German chancellor Angela Merkel, French president François Hollande, DPR leader Alexander Zakharchenko, and LPR leader Igor Plotnitsky. Negotiations went on overnight for sixteen hours, and were said to have been "very difficult" by the German foreign minister.[33][34]

Ummm - he sent his army to invade a neighboring country, and started the largest land war in Europe since WWII.
Have you ever been to any of the old USSR countries, they would not agree with that statement... the yougoslav wars- Bosnia, Croatia... but some think Jan 6 was an Insurrection so God Bless!

Have you ever been to any of the old USSR countries, they would not agree with that statement... the yougoslav wars- Bosnia, Croatia... but some think Jan 6 was an Insurrection so God Bless!
I've been to both Bosnia and Croatia as well as Hungary, spent nearly 9 months there as part of the NATO peace keeping force in 1997. I'm not sure what point you're going for here but my experience was that the locals in all 3 countries absolutely despised the Russians.

I've been to both Bosnia and Croatia as well as Hungary, spent nearly 9 months there as part of the NATO peace keeping force in 1997. I'm not sure what point you're going for here but my experience was that the locals in all 3 countries absolutely despised the Russians.
Did you read the post I responded to, the largest land war in Europe since WWII part specifically, no point! I've been to all of the above, throw in Albania, Macedonia, Romania, Ukraine... well anyway I spoke with many Russian sympathizers for the "old way" as i managed local contractors and worked side by side with local engineers... I was in Albania during there first election but I'm just a dumb hick that watched them riot from the roof of the Embassy because all of them agreed 👍 but that is not what I was speaking on! It would be niave to think everyone that got out from under Russia wanted too...real naive! I admit to be being very naive 😕 before 2005...still find it strange, we use to call it the Stockholm Syndrom...