Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What should our response be if Russia invades Ukraine?

"It’s the Azovstal Steel and Iron Works warehouse in Mariupol. That’s where the Azov Battalion and 36th Marine Brigade have been hiding out and battling Russian forces, tooth and nail, for more than two weeks.

But this is no ordinary warehouse. It’s a miles-long series of buildings that contain a deep, vast, network of bunkers connected by an intricate web of tunnels. Built in 1930, under the control of the Soviet Union, the structure is able to withstand a nuclear attack."

FT_4_18_22-1.jpg

"In the Norwegian Sea

The Kearsarge Amphibious Ready Group (ARG) and the 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit completed Northern Viking 2022 and made a port call in Tromso, Norway, last week. Two of the three ships in the Kearsarge ARG deployed on March 16 from Naval Station Norfolk, Va., and Camp Lejeune, N.C., according to U.S. 2nd Fleet. USS Kearsarge (LHD-3) and USS Arlington (LPD-24) left the East Coast with Marine Expeditionary Unit 22 embarked. The third amphib, USS Gunston Hall (LSD-44), deployed later in March from Joint Base Little Creek-Fort Story, Va.

The 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit is based out of North Carolina and includes the command element; the aviation combat element, Marine Medium Tiltrotor Squadron, 263 (Reinforced); the ground combat element, Battalion Landing Team 2/6; and the logistics combat element, Combat Logistics Battalion 26.

In addition to the MEU itself, embarked commands with the Kearsarge ARG include Amphibious Squadron Six, Fleet Surgical Team 2, Tactical Air Control Squadron 22, Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron 28, Assault Craft Unit 2, Assault Craft Unit 4, Naval Beach Group 2 and Beach Master Unit 2.

It’s unclear if the Kearsarge ARG will be part of the ongoing NATO presence operations as the Russian invasion of Ukraine continues. Since the late February invasion, the U.S. and NATO have massed naval power in the Baltic and Mediterranean seas."

"The Pentagon said that Ukraine had recently received fighter planes and parts to bolster its air force, declining to specify the number of aircraft and their origin.

Kyiv has asked its Western partners to provide MiG-29s, which its pilots already know how to fly and a handful of Eastern European countries have."

Russia has sent armor, artillery and missile launchers into Ukraine with very little supporting infantry and that is one of the reasons they have not won yet.

I was pretty disheartened over this past weekend, but here are my thoughts:
  • The Russian military has been exposed as a hollow fighting force that accomplishes its objectives through fear and intimidation.
  • We must remember that China shares a border with Russia. Putin has thrown 2/3 of his army into Ukraine. If they are wiped out, what will he defend Russia with?
  • The Ukrainian military is quite good with the right weapons and working supply lines. This is news to most of the free world in recent months, but not to both the Ukrainians and Russians. The atrocities committed by the Russians in Ukraine are certainly horrific and disturbing, but Putin may feel that these are his only options, since nothing else has worked over the years.
I don't know how this will end, but those are my thoughts.

Russia has sent armor, artillery and missile launchers into Ukraine with very little supporting infantry and that is one of the reasons they have not won yet.

I was pretty disheartened over this past weekend, but here are my thoughts:
  • The Russian military has been exposed as a hollow fighting force that accomplishes its objectives through fear and intimidation.
  • We must remember that China shares a border with Russia. Putin has thrown 2/3 of his army into Ukraine. If they are wiped out, what will he defend Russia with?
  • The Ukrainian military is quite good with the right weapons and working supply lines. This is news to most of the free world in recent months, but not to both the Ukrainians and Russians. The atrocities committed by the Russians in Ukraine are certainly horrific and disturbing, but Putin may feel that these are his only options, since nothing else has worked over the years.
I don't know how this will end, but those are my thoughts.
Ukraine is doing quite well, the thing that worries me is that Putin doesn't care about human losses, Ukrainian or Russian. This is the same country that lost 20-25 million people in WWII.

The best hope for Ukraine is that they can destroy enough military equipment to give Putin pause. He does care about that.

The best hope for Ukraine is that they can destroy enough military equipment to give Putin pause. He does care about that.
He's running out of men & equipment. With the losses + sanctions, it'll take RU years to rebuild. Meanwhile, the Ukrainians are acquiring the equipment & training to retake all the land lost to the Russians. Stay tuned....it may happen sooner than later.

My biggest concern is all those mines that have been laid. ''....===

I
He's running out of men & equipment. With the losses + sanctions, it'll take RU years to rebuild. Meanwhile, the Ukrainians are acquiring the equipment & training to retake all the land lost to the Russians. Stay tuned....it may happen sooner than later.

I don't see how he's running out of men, they have a military of 3 million counting reserves and that number doesn't take in to account anywhere from 10 - 20k mercenaries.

It's a textbook European war between modern European nations that share a border.

Very bloody with its share of atrocities and very expensive and likely to last for a while because no other countries want to get directly involved.

I wish that were true but he started with over 12,000 tanks, 2.85 million military, 30,000 armored vehicles... They report he has lost hundreds of tanks and 15,000 military personnel but I hope you are correct.

I don't see how he's running out of men, they have a military of 3 million counting reserves and that number doesn't take in to account anywhere from 10 - 20k mercenaries.
How do you explain the RU not having enough forces to overrun the Ukrainians? Those numbers you posted aren't being realized on the battlefield.
Check this out....from a RU guy:

How do you explain the RU not having enough forces to overrun the Ukrainians? Those numbers you posted aren't being realized on the battlefield.
Check this out....from a RU guy:

I think russia/putin are playing cat and mouse with Ukraine to look at NATO/US response, we will see as things unfold but I hope they find some diplomacy fast or Ukraine is going to get bloody!