Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What should our response be if Russia invades Ukraine?

There is obviously a political component to this discussion, but this is more world history than politics to me at this point.

Let's continue to keep politics out of this thread.

Biden makes a surprise visit to Kiev.

BIden-in-Ukraine-3.jpg

BIden-in-Ukraine-1.jpg

While I do not agree with some of his politics, I do absolutely respect and admire Dark Brandon's courage.

Stuff's getting ready to happen over there in a bit, me thinks.

Oh, well. It is it what it is because Putin, unless there is a drastic shift in his plans, will be the one that chooses to make it that way.
While I despise Russia in general and Putin in particular I can't help but wonder how much more money we're going to give them? I mean damn...how about our problems/issues?

At this point probably not.
We back down....what happens? Taiwan is next?

The only choice we ever had was some kind of deterrence, but that's water under the bridge.

Effn russians....at least we had a few decades of relative peace. 🤬

We back down....what happens? Taiwan is next?

The only choice we ever had was some kind of deterrence, but that's water under the bridge.

Effn russians....at least we had a few decades of relative peace. 🤬
I don't have a problem with helping them militarily per se, what I have a problem with is reading that some of the money we send them is being used to bolster their version of social security, paying Government salaries etc.

That's hard to swallow when our own pension system is said to be insolvent in 9 years.

I don't have a problem with helping them militarily per se, what I have a problem with is reading that some of the money we send them is being used to bolster their version of social security, paying Government salaries etc.

That's hard to swallow when our own pension system is said to be insolvent in 9 years.

I think that's where we seem up against the similar problem of being the lone ranger against Saddam leading up to Desert Shield.

From regional standpoint, that was obviously not a NATO jurisdictional matter, so Bush 41 had to form a "coalition of the willing" to stop Saddam and eventually achieve peace.

The Ukraine conflict would seem to be in NATO's area of responsibility, but Russian oil that wasn't there during the Cold War has complicated things.

The other question is are we going to fund a type of Marshall Plan for the rebuild of certain parts Ukraine? If so, are we going to do that essentially alone?

There are more questions than answers at this point.

The other question is are we going to fund a type of Marshall Plan for the rebuild of certain parts Ukraine? If so, are we going to do that essentially alone?
The US will contribute the largest amounts, but if you google it, most European countries have already donated $$ towards rebuilding and are planning on more.
Japan has donated as well.

This is another phase of the huge miscalculation by Russia. They likely never expected the volume of international support for Ukraine.
Russia has basically effed themselves at every turn. Hard to imagine someone screwing up worse than this. 😳

This thread has been treading a fine line with politics for over a year. Let's keep it that way and not veer it off the rails.

Last edited:

Yevgeny Prigozhin's private fighting force, which has recruited from prisons across Russia to bolster its ranks, is playing a key role in the offensive for the city of Bakhmut in east Ukraine.

The battle for Bakhmut has exposed tensions between the Wagner group and the Russian army, though the Kremlin denies any rift.

"The chief of general staff and the defence minister give out orders left and right not only to not give ammunition to PMC Wagner, but also to not help it with air transport," Prigozhin said in a voice message shared by his press service.

"There is just direct opposition going on, which is nothing less than an attempt to destroy Wagner. This can be equated to high treason," he added.

It seems to me that stuff like this is happening because most Russian military commanders don't believe in what Putin is doing in Ukraine.

Well the 1 year anniversary has come and gone without the extensive fireworks many pundits were expecting. Theories as to why it didn't happen range from a shortage of munitions to not wanting to (in Putin's view) highlight their inability to defeat Ukraine.

Unfortunately this folly seems likely to continue until Putin leaves office by whatever means. IMO Ukraine must prevail, dictators rarely stop after they conquer their present conquest.

Well the 1 year anniversary has come and gone without the extensive fireworks many pundits were expecting. Theories as to why it didn't happen range from a shortage of munitions to not wanting to (in Putin's view) highlight their inability to defeat Ukraine.
Ukraine is one of those places where an offensive has a weather window. Parts of the year, the ground turns into the "Rasputitsa", which is a horrible time to attempt an armored assault. Late spring/early summer is when the fireworks should start again. Stay tuned.

Ukraine is one of those places where an offensive has a weather window. Parts of the year, the ground turns into the "Rasputitsa", which is a horrible time to attempt an armored assault. Late spring/early summer is when the fireworks should start again. Stay tuned.

Mud from the spring thaw. Compare that to the record cold in 1944 when the Germans launched the Battle of the Bulge offensive in the Ardennes with snow all over the place.

Mud makes a huge difference.

So it is being reported that there were drone strikes inside of Russia. I don’t know the details, but I hope they keep this defensive and not turning it into an offensive situation

So it is being reported that there were drone strikes inside of Russia. I don’t know the details, but I hope they keep this defensive and not turning it into an offensive situation
I get that but if you're Ukraine why should attacking Russian assets be off limits?

I get that but if you're Ukraine why should attacking Russian assets be off limits?
I think it rallies the Russian people behind Putin if they do that...
I sat down with a Russian/Ukranian family yesterday and this war is not near as black and white as it is portrayed according to them.