Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What should our response be if Russia invades Ukraine?

My gut tells me the Russian military will attack one or more American assets with cruise missiles by the end of the year. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a 9/11-type of attack on American soil, because there's no difference between OBL and Putin to me at this point.

Then we will have no choice but to open up the can and finish the matter.

My military training as a young man during the Cold War tells me not to be afraid of it, but relax, expect it, and let things play out as they will.
I hope your gut is wrong, I can see the US putting assets in Ukrainse, State Department, AID, Embassy, even Ukraine military for training in Poland or Romania with US military... and these assets being targeted.
I can also see the spring offensive not going well and Russians calling for diplomacy but history says your gut is on too something...

Agreed - It's a mess all the way around. And seems like it has been for years.
The real issue is humans run this system and therefore it will always be flawed based on different beliefs, ideology, religion and basic greed...
We protect the rights of those who whistle-blow if we agree with thier agenda, motives and call for the electric chair if we disagree...
We protect those we feel didn't mean to miss handle classified documents and call for justice to those we feel did and this usually goes to agenda, motives, beliefs, politics...

Kind of like journalist's favorite source, anonymous inside source, believe it or don't... why does being a journalist give you a pass to share classified documents? So if you want to be a spy, be a journalist...

Russia has no chance to go head to head with the US / NATO and they know it. Their inept and corrupt military has been exposed.

I could see them trying more cyber attacks. Similar to the ransomware attack that shut down the gas pipeline a few years back. Something along those lines, except worse.

Take down the electrical grid, take over the FAA flight control system, interrupt the financial system.

I'm honestly more worried about China than Russia. If (when) they move on Taiwan and eventually subdue them (we won't intervene) what will they turn their sights on next? The Philippines? Japan? S Korea?

That, too. I remember a professor in one of my history classes at Carolina back in the day saying the Vietnam War was really about Berlin.

Along those lines, is the Ukraine war really about Taiwan? Maybe yes. Maybe no. IDK.

I'm honestly more worried about China than Russia. If (when) they move on Taiwan and eventually subdue them (we won't intervene) what will they turn their sights on next? The Philippines? Japan? S Korea?
I have 14 and 11 old boys...this scares the shit out of me

The carrier spent a total of 230 days in the Mediterranean Sea as part of the ongoing U.S. and NATO presence operations in the region, according to USNI News carrier deployment database.

Bush’s departure means there will not be a U.S. carrier in the region for the first time since December 2021. At the time, Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin ordered USS Harry S. Truman (CVN-75) to remain in the Mediterranean Sea rather than continue on to operate in the Middle East as part of the continued response to the Russo-Ukraine war.

Later in the article it says that the USS Gerald R. Ford (CVN-78) is scheduled to deploy in May presumably to fill the gap in the Med. This is the lead ship of the class with electromagnetic catapults vice the steam catapults that have been on all modern carriers since forever. Hopefully there are no issues with those new-era catapults.

This week, the Navy made a rare public announcement that an Ohio-class guided-missile nuclear submarine USS Florida (SSGN-728) was deployed to U.S. 5th Fleet.

“The submarine entered the region April 6 and began transiting the Suez Canal the following day,” spokesman Cmdr. Tim Hawkins said in a statement. “Florida is a nuclear-powered guided-missile submarine homeported in Kings Bay, Ga. It is capable of carrying up to 154 Tomahawk land-attack cruise missiles and is deployed to U.S. 5th Fleet to help ensure regional maritime security and stability.”

Whereabouts of our nuclear subs are never published anywhere since forever. So we are letting the Russians know for a reason.

It's going to be an interesting summer.

But the files show the FSB security service claimed officials were not counting deaths of the Russian National Guard, Wagner mercenaries and others.

Russia has already warned the leaks may be fake, deliberately dumped by the US.

However, the detail corroborates what was already widely known: that Russia's military and security groups have had frequent disagreements about the handling of the war in Ukraine and that Russia has avoided publicising the numbers of dead and wounded.

The FSB's reported calculation of almost 110,000 casualties by February is still far lower than numbers this week in previously leaked US documents, which estimated Russian losses at between 189,500 and 223,000 casualties, with 35,500-43,000 men killed in action.

Russia's most recent official figure dates back to September last year, when the deaths of 5,937 servicemen were confirmed.

Seems believable to me as it is similar to what happened in WW2 with German and Japanese senior officers covering up losses so they themselves would not be executed.

Russia has no chance to go head to head with the US / NATO and they know it. Their inept and corrupt military has been exposed.

I could see them trying more cyber attacks. Similar to the ransomware attack that shut down the gas pipeline a few years back. Something along those lines, except worse.

Take down the electrical grid, take over the FAA flight control system, interrupt the financial system.
Both the US and Canada's FAA systems went down on the same day about 6-8 weeks ago and it was a coincidence (so they say).

Those are acts of war.

Reactions: STS

Kinda scary for the people that weren't around for the Cold War, but same old/same old for those of us who were.

Now there's this:

The female sailor in question was frocked as a CPO but reduced in rate down to an E-5 when she separated from the service in 2022.

How does an enlisted aviation electronics technician get access to SCI-level intel docs when it's not related at all to her job specialty?

Wow, just wow.

How does an enlisted aviation electronics technician get access to SCI-level intel docs when it's not related at all to her job specialty?
She claims someone else posted the SCI docs:
Bils told The Wall Street Journal that another administrator on the accounts posted four of the documents to the Donbass Devushka Telegram channel.

This war has been different in some ways from previous ones.

First of all, you have the drone technology being used in weapons that work very well.

Then, the UAF proudly posted videos on social media of their tank kills and aircraft shoot-downs early on in the war.

Now this stuff happens.

Different technology. Different generation.

This war has been different in some ways from previous ones.
Biggest difference is the absence of air power. The contrast with this war and Desert Storm is night & day.

It does give US airpower a boost in regards to the Pacific (i.e. less airpower is needed in Europe).